HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:42 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,854 Posts
Whatsit fourstroke

OK your guess is as good as mine and I do not have one. It is fourstroke of course and very well made at that. Was it built from some plan ? No castings.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:44 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
OK your guess is as good as mine and I do not have one. It is fourstroke of course and very well made at that. Was it built from some plan ? No castings.
Forgot : 15 cm high rockers included
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:49 AM
My view over the back fence..
Australia, NSW, Moree
Joined Sep 2011
82 Posts
Someone had a lot of fun building that.
Aussie Steve is offline Find More Posts by Aussie Steve
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:24 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,328 Posts
That is a fascinating engine design. Sort of a steam engine converted to glow. It might have been planned as a replica of a early internal combustion engine. I didn't see anything that might have been the intake, fuel feed and adjustment though. So maybe it wasn't finished yet. Or it could have been a training model or something.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:32 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,016 Posts
Quote:
Whatsit fourstroke
What a cool piece of machinery...!

However, I try to figure out how it works.......it looks like the "cams" run at crankshaft speed - which of course wouldn't be possible with a 4-stroke....are there 2:1 planetary gears hidden in the "cam hubs" LH & RH...?
Or, have I overlooked something important and obvious....
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:41 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
That is a fascinating engine design. Sort of a steam engine converted to glow. It might have been planned as a replica of a early internal combustion engine. I didn't see anything that might have been the intake, fuel feed and adjustment though. So maybe it wasn't finished yet. Or it could have been a training model or something.
Yes earl the seller said it was made by his father but was'nt sure the engine was finished. Where should that carb go ?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:45 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
What a cool piece of machinery...!

However, I try to figure out how it works.......it looks like the "cams" run at crankshaft speed - which of course wouldn't be possible with a 4-stroke....are there 2:1 planetary gears hidden in the "cam hubs" LH & RH...?
Or, have I overlooked something important and obvious....
I am trying to figure that out too. As it is now there is a tremendous gap between rockers and valve ends when cycling. All idea's arev welcome.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:00 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,930 Posts
If it did not have a glow plug, I would swear it was a steam engine.
The other weird part if the crank shaft - it does not look like it actually has one.
It looks more like it would oscillate back and forth rather than go all the way around.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:31 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,328 Posts
I think it is missing the flywheel or flywheels. I suppose one needs to figure out which valve is the intake valve, then from there the location of the carburetor should be more obvious.

The earliest internal combustion engines were more or less converted steam engines, so the valves operate off of a eccentric cam. There is a arm going to the valve shaft that rotates the valve shaft which in turn opens and closes the valve. The real full size engines didn't turn faster than maybe 300 to 400 RPMs, maybe 600 tops if they had to.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:34 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
"Profi V2 Cirrus Vee-Twin Cylinder 4 Stroke Open Rocker RC Model Aeroplane Engine. A fabulous engineering marvel from Profi engines reminiscent of the "Cirrus Vee Twin" engine of the golden era. Its a lovely four stroke engine with open rockers on display & the workmanship on this engine is beautiful. The engine is new & test run at the factory for quality & setting purposes.
Tech specs: Cubic capacity: 8.5cc
Bore: 17.2m
Stroke: 19mmWeight: 380g
Propeller size: 10x6.
RPM range: 3.000 to 8.500
Recommended Fuel: Methanol 80% & 20% castor oil "
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:41 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
IRVINE 40 RLS ABC Control Line Stunt, with tuned pipes.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:47 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
"Glo-Chief 35 made by Gordon Burford, Australia"
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:12 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
ED Racer glow - factory or home conversion ?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:31 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,676 Posts
Yippee Bob, Welcome back!
I don't think you could call that Racer a "home conversion". It's more just "messing about". The head looks original, and the backplate is simply from a later model Racer.
I fly Racers quite a lot, and I've often thought of installing that backplate myself (minor problem is that I don't possess one).
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:17 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
"Profi V2 Cirrus Vee-Twin Cylinder 4 Stroke Open Rocker RC Model Aeroplane Engine. A fabulous engineering marvel from Profi engines reminiscent of the "Cirrus Vee Twin" engine of the golden era. Its a lovely four stroke engine with open rockers on display & the workmanship on this engine is beautiful. The engine is new & test run at the factory for quality & setting purposes.
Tech specs: Cubic capacity: 8.5cc
Bore: 17.2m
Stroke: 19mmWeight: 380g
Propeller size: 10x6.
RPM range: 3.000 to 8.500
Recommended Fuel: Methanol 80% & 20% castor oil "
There's one for sale on ebay for some time. Yours ? Got one myself. Sales on ebay are very very poor.