http://www.onthewire.co.uk/nordec1.htm
http://www.onthewire.co.uk/nordec2.htm
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:53 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Another (semi) engine kit for the home builder - this time the Craig Asher "Howler" 15, circa 1962. According to the A.M.E.E. these were available from World Engines, and initially at least, were designed to be used with existing Series 61 K & B Torpedo front housings & shafts. Very "Doolingish" looking engine with reverse drum rotary induction, and made also in a 65 size....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOWLER-15-RA...item35c0256079
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:14 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
If you were to compile a list of the 5 All-Time Great C/L Stunt engines, this would be on most people's list. It is the dedicated stunt OS Max H 40 S (note the tiny letter "S" stamped beneath the "40", and OS went all out to carefully craft this engine to suit stunt flyer's requirements to the letter. Most manufacturers would just slap a C/L venturi into one of their R/C engines, and call it Stunt, but this engine was designed from the ground up for that purpose. Beware of imitations - its very easy for an unscrupulous seller to buy an ordinary NIB Max H 40, install a venturi, and sell it as the "genuine" stunt model.......
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:37 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Over on the Diesel thread, the boys are all agog about the new 1.5cc Parra Wasp - also made in a glow version

http://www.clubtamaran.com/Parra%201.5%20INFO.htm
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:04 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
If you were to compile a list of the 5 All-Time Great C/L Stunt engines.........
Strangely, of all the earlier CL stunt engines, the one that would top the list would be the OS 40/46VF. Although designed purely as an RC engine it was quickly found to be exactly right when used with a pipe. Piped 40's began to be used in stunt because they made use of a loop hole in the American stunt rules which allowed .015" lines for engines up to .40 size then .018" lines for .41-60 engines. The piped .40 had the power of a muffled .60 . Even today, the VF's are the standard by which all other piped engines are compared to. The photo shows my 46VF being carefully run in on the test stand before I fitted the CL venturi from my 40VF which was bored out very slightly to match the larger engine size.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:21 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
15,854 Posts
Quote:
If you were to compile a list of the 5 All-Time Great C/L Stunt engines, this would be on most people's list.
Hmmm,
I would have thought it would be (if you are from NA)

Fox 35
ST46
ST60
40VF
then PA40/PA60/PA whatever
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:40 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Seen before I know, but such a lovely thing.........
"Clarence Lee prototype glow engine. This is a prototype .45 engine. Number 18 of 23 built. It is not a Veco or K&B. Built in 1961 by Clarence Lee himself."
These engines were the actual predecessors to the Series 200 line of VECO engines. Clarence was doing R&D work for VECO and built a series of 45, 49 and 51 engines on the side. For those who were lucky enough to buy one, they were the best R/C engine in that size range in the air at the time. Performance was flawless. That these were custom built engines is borne out by the fact there were only 23 Lee 45's built and orders for many more, but they were too time consuming to make and the 23 were all that were produced. There were also six 49's built, and one is shown in the last photo, L.H. three-quarter view. There were also seven .51's built, making a production grand total of 36 of the Lee hand-built engines.

On July 1, 2005 Clarence Lee added the following note:
" I built two experimental long stroke 49s. Then, after I had given up making the engines, a group from Mexico up here for the Nats asked me what it would cost to make them an engine, as they had destroyed the one they had. I quoted $225.00 (original price was $75.00) and they ordered six. I was then swamped with orders from others. I decided to make the new engines 51's but had a few 45 crankshafts on hand, so decided to make the 51 piston/sleeves first and then use these in conjunction with the 45 cranks for a 49. I made four of these which, with the two long stroke 49's, made six. One of the long stroke 49's went to Bob Dunham. As it required an 8-ounce fuel tank, Bob thought this would throw off the balance of his Astro Hog, so I converted it back to a 45 so he could use a 6-ounce tank. I built 10 more 51s before quitting production for a total of 42 engines in all. So there you have a little more history."
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:54 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
And if you would like a Lee Custom yourself, # 21 is now for sale, at an opening bid of $544.95. The engine shown above sold for US $271.88 back in January this year........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTREMELY-RA...item1c2bab1193
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:46 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Seen before I know, but such a lovely thing.........
"Clarence Lee prototype glow engine. This is a prototype .45 engine. Number 18 of 23 built. It is not a Veco or K&B. Built in 1961 by Clarence Lee himself."
These engines were the actual predecessors to the Series 200 line of VECO engines. Clarence was doing R&D work for VECO and built a series of 45, 49 and 51 engines on the side. For those who were lucky enough to buy one, they were the best R/C engine in that size range in the air at the time. Performance was flawless. That these were custom built engines is borne out by the fact there were only 23 Lee 45's built and orders for many more, but they were too time consuming to make and the 23 were all that were produced. There were also six 49's built, and one is shown in the last photo, L.H. three-quarter view. There were also seven .51's built, making a production grand total of 36 of the Lee hand-built engines.

On July 1, 2005 Clarence Lee added the following note:
" I built two experimental long stroke 49s. Then, after I had given up making the engines, a group from Mexico up here for the Nats asked me what it would cost to make them an engine, as they had destroyed the one they had. I quoted $225.00 (original price was $75.00) and they ordered six. I was then swamped with orders from others. I decided to make the new engines 51's but had a few 45 crankshafts on hand, so decided to make the 51 piston/sleeves first and then use these in conjunction with the 45 cranks for a 49. I made four of these which, with the two long stroke 49's, made six. One of the long stroke 49's went to Bob Dunham. As it required an 8-ounce fuel tank, Bob thought this would throw off the balance of his Astro Hog, so I converted it back to a 45 so he could use a 6-ounce tank. I built 10 more 51s before quitting production for a total of 42 engines in all. So there you have a little more history."
And here is serial number 035 that I bought directly from Clarence in the 80ies. Not too sure about total numbers, I can look up in some letters Clarence wrote to me at the time. Danny Claes, who owns ser.number ?? can tell us all about it. Danny ?
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:16 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
More on this unique 1969 Smith Mini-Twin at Post #3721, page 249....(note the bulge on the bottom of the case that houses the inter-connecting shaft & gears, which allows for the 2 piece crankshaft)
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:31 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
The "Swirlie-Schnuerle" Serial # 10
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:59 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
More from the seller, toys_tophobby

here for info - http://www.flickr.com/photos/15794235@N06/6542058123/
Henry Parohl maker
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:27 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
A few pages back (357, Post # 5345) we showed the early 1970's FOX 36 in C/L configuration (photo #1). Here's the equivalent engine (2 photo's on the right) with R/C throttle. Notice anything different ? Well, when Ol' Duke went to bolt the throttle on, there wasn't enough room, so he had to extend the main bearing a bit....
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:12 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Haven't been able to find out much information on this little twin, apart from the fact that its called an MK and uses some Enya parts. The initials MK are supposedly derived from the 2 guys involved in building it, a Mr. A. Morita (the designer) and a Mr. Kojima (the machinist). Supposedly, only 30 of these were ever made, the Serial #'s apparently beginning at # 201. Whether 30 glows and 30 Diesel's were made, or an all-up figure of 30 covering both types, is unknown. Any further submissions welcome.......
Last edited by Twin-Stack; Sep 27, 2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:28 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
We have mentioned several times before, the "Mix & Match" practices of most model engine manufacturers, whereby parts from older models will be incorporated into the newest. Here is a good example of that - now the seller of this engine is a most reputable eBay member, and I myself have bought engines from him and hold him in high regard, so this is absolutely no reflection on him or his ethics. The engine itself is an extremely nice example of a 1948 K & B Glo-Torp 29......or is it ? True, it does have the 29 case (with no displacement markings, as is normal), but why does it have the thicker profile 32 cylinder head from the '51 Torpedo 32 ? This particular head has a central plug (as opposed to the thin 1948 head, with offset plug) and also has the digits "32" stamped on the front. So.....is it a 29, or a 32 (the '48 Glo-Torp 32 had those numbers cast into the case, below the exhaust) ? Will check with the seller for Serial #'s which should make it clearer (see below)......either way, its a nice engine.
PS the Serial # of 8211G indicates that this engine is a 29 as the seller states, but with a head stamped 32 from a later model
Last edited by Twin-Stack; Sep 30, 2012 at 06:57 PM.