Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:02 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Some hand-made engines from Augusto Serafini, an Italian engineer from Florence (circa 1970). All five engines shown are overhead valve, spark ignition 4-strokes, some with twin cams.

http://www.italianengines.com/schede/Serafini.pdf
The first engine shown on your pdf is an engine I had in my collection but sold it to Danny Claes. He's got TWO now, have been trying to persuade him for years now to sell it back to me
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:45 PM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
I do not think that he does want to sell abroad, what them Brits call the continent, he says : strictly for UK bidders only. I did meet with Eric Whittle once in an hotel together with John Goodal. He was walking the corridor and he did have one of those V-engines in his hand. He wrote nice technical articles in Model Engine World.
Also, we saw Eric Whittle in action, running this engine (or one of these) outside on a test bench during a Meca swapmeet in Germany back in the ninetees, remember Reg?
danny.act is online now Find More Posts by danny.act
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:16 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N99JH View Post
I recently purchased an old, gummed ST G.71. After the Crock Pot clean-up it looked almost brand new with great compression. I put it on my test bench and ran it on a 10% CL fuel with a Top Flite 14-4 Super M prop - to my delight it fired on the second flip and I recorded 9,700 rpm. I plan on converting the engine to CL Stunt (quite large model - see attached pictures) and was wondering what kind of information some of you guys may provide regarding this engine. I could not find much on the Internet but I know that people like Earl, Twin Stack, and others may be able to provide more info. Joshua
Joshua, Super Tigre's are not my speciality, but here are my thoughts anyway. Peter Chinn apparently never tested the ST G.71, but he did test the G.60 Bluehead in Model Airplane News dated November 1971. My guess is the 71 was derived from the earlier 60, to give a bit extra "oomph" to an overweight 60 size model. A lot of what he said about the 60 would apply to the 71 as well, apart from the obvious differences like either the bore or stroke, as well as the greater power output of the 71. From a control line point of view, either of the two engines mentioned above would be a better choice than the later "X" Series Super Tigre's, which featured Schnuerle porting. The 60 Bluehead and 71 still had the more C/L stunt friendly type of cylinder porting. Having said that though, neither would be expected to do a 4-2-4 stunt run (maybe a "wet" 2 ?), as they were designed to "haul **s" ! If it was me, I would leave the R/C carby in place, rather than install a standard venturi & needle valve, at least on the initial runs until some idea is gained of what is required. Rigging up a simple method of holding the throttle in a certain fixed position until a satisfactory run is obtained, would probably be the way to go with such a big engine. BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Last edited by Twin-Stack; Jul 12, 2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:27 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
I do not think that he does want to sell abroad, what them Brits call the continent, he says : strictly for UK bidders only.
Guys, I gave the seller a bit of a "rev-up" about not allowing us "furriners" to bid, and here is his reply.........
"Hi Bob, I appreciate and understand your comments, but my reasons for not
mailing abroad have been gained from past experiences of items that have
been either lost or damaged. When this happens it is a minefield trying to
gain any sort of compensation, however, I do not mind a winning bid from
overseas if they can give me a UK shipping address, much easier to deal
with one courier in your own country than someone who is half a world away.
regards romec29
."
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:47 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Today's "Mystery Engine"........
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:52 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
The first engine shown on your pdf is an engine I had in my collection but sold it to Danny Claes. He's got TWO now, have been trying to persuade him for years now to sell it back to me
Hey Danny, how about some photo's !
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:03 PM
Hartsville, SC
Joined Apr 2006
769 Posts
St g.71

Hi Bob
Thanks for your comments on the ST 71. I wanted to add that the Fierce Arrow flew with the ST 60 Blue Head but at the time the venturi was only 8.5 mm ID and choked the engine. After gradually opening it to 10 mm ID, it now turns that same 14-4 prop at 9200 rpm. Since posting, I changed the RC carb on the 71 from the original of 8 mm ID to a newer one with 9 mm ID and the engine now runs 10,000 rpm solid. I don't really care if the engine will not run a true 2-4-2. A wet 2 cycle with the flat pitch prop acting as an airbrake on the down hill should be just fine for me.
Joshua
N99JH is offline Find More Posts by N99JH
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:20 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N99JH View Post
Hi Bob
Thanks for your comments on the ST 71. I wanted to add that the Fierce Arrow flew with the ST 60 Blue Head but at the time the venturi was only 8.5 mm ID and choked the engine. After gradually opening it to 10 mm ID, it now turns that same 14-4 prop at 9200 rpm. Since posting, I changed the RC carb on the 71 from the original of 8 mm ID to a newer one with 9 mm ID and the engine now runs 10,000 rpm solid. I don't really care if the engine will not run a true 2-4-2. A wet 2 cycle with the flat pitch prop acting as an airbrake on the down hill should be just fine for me.
Joshua
Joshua, you must send us a photo sometime of your right arm - I'll bet its big !
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:26 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,804 Posts
http://www.matheengines.com/history.htm

This is what I found for the boat anchor I received, very interesting.
The ser.# on mine is 901
Was there that many made Bob or is this number 9 for 1979 and 01 for first engine made

thanks

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:43 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,804 Posts
Sorry.....photos

Bill
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:57 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
http://www.matheengines.com/history.htm

This is what I found for the boat anchor I received, very interesting.
The ser.# on mine is 901
Was there that many made Bob or is this number 9 for 1979 and 01 for first engine made

thanks

Bill
Bill, your guess is as good as mine ! Every engine maker seems to have their own ideas about how Serial #'s should run. As an example, when Enya started making their 63 in the early 50's, they started off at 6000. A few years later, they reduced the bore by 0.5 mm and the first 60 was born. These latter started their numbering sequence from # 7000. The Erickson seen a few pages back must have started at #FE1200***.
Last edited by Twin-Stack; Jul 12, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:01 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Sorry.....photos

Bill
So that thing has a vertically split case, plus a bolt-on front end ?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:18 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,804 Posts
Correct Bob and never been run.

Bill
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:23 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,804 Posts
From what i read Bob this particular engine never went into production.

Bill
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:37 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
From what i read Bob this particular engine never went into production.

Bill
That poor, little lonely plug looks like a telegraph pole in the middle of a desert !