HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:00 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,584 Posts
Unfortunately, I had never run the two Madewell engines I had. I sold them to a guy in New Zealand, but I have a hunch he never ran either of them too.
I assume they had the same issues as all of the other engines in that era. I don't think they would really work well with glow fuel as there is only two screws holding the cylinder on. I remember guys having the screws pull loose on them before. They should run Ok on gasoline ignition though. As the engine heats up the piston and liner should fit better, so yeah they could be a little loose when cold.

Yes you are correct, you only need to use a glow plug ignitor on one glow plug to start it up. The second glow plug gets heated up by the hot combustion gasses.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Speaking of Clarence Lee, FOX engines etc., here's an article by Mr. Lee which gives a hint at the problems faced by model engine manufacturers.
http://www.rcmplans.com/issues/reque...091984-1-1.pdf
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:12 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,584 Posts
Gilbert engines was something I played with as a kid in control line planes back then. Gilbert didn't just make trains and erector sets at the time.

Gilbert .O7

The cardboard plackard that the engines came with:

and the back
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...ilbert1108.jpg

They used a really cool dual exhaust mufflers on them.

Old advertisement.
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...dcirca1962.jpg
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Mar 08, 2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:20 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
The old Thunderhead ! Uses the same sideport induction as Duke's Rocket 09. I still get a laugh out of the ads FOX used back then for his 09 - the guy trying to hold onto it, and his buddy saying "Let go - you can get another one for $3.95" ! They were a nice, easy to start beginners engine, but a ball of fire ? Hardly.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:26 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
The old Thunderhead ! Uses the same sideport induction as Duke's Rocket 09. I still get a laugh out of the ads FOX used back then for his 09 - the guy trying to hold onto it, and his buddy saying "Let go - you can get another one for $3.95" ! They were a nice, easy to start beginners engine, but a ball of fire ? Hardly.
I didn't know they made 'em (the Thunderhead that is) in 2 sizes though - you learn something new every day.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 02:29 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,009 Posts
Damo FS-218

Hi Bob,
Seems like You have a lot of engines in Your collection.
Very nice ENYA's You have!

Hi Bill,
It shure is a beautiful engine Your Damo.
Included some pictures of the one in my collection.

Swedish Damo FS-218, made by Sten Dahl and Lars Molin
danny.act is online now Find More Posts by danny.act
Old Mar 09, 2011, 03:43 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
484 Posts
Little brother from Mach 1 Glo, the Webra Piccolo-Glo 0,8 ccm.

Heinz
hastf1b is offline Find More Posts by hastf1b
Old Mar 09, 2011, 03:48 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,034 Posts
These days, DAMO is exotic even here....a great piece of engineering...
The recommendation of 1% castor oil is still an open subject of discussion, though..

Following clip was previously posted in another thread, but I think it deserves to be re-used...
This Damo is converted to spark ignition.
Enjoy the music...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0786698&hl=en#
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:02 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Hi Bob,
Seems like You have a lot of engines in Your collection.
Very nice ENYA's You have!
Danny, there are different types of collectors - some people collect engines for 40 or 50 years, and never dispose of one. For many years (when raising a family) I held my collection at 30 engines at any one time. This meant that if I bought a new engine, I would sell one to make way for it. That number has now grown to maybe 120, but I still try to sell 1 engine when I buy 1 new one. My main interest IS in ENYA engines, but one gets very jaded sticking to just the one brand, and like drinking wine, you only get to appreciate the good stuff, by drinking the bad ! I admire very much, the quality of Nordic engines (including the Damo) which is matched by the quality of Aussie Gordon Burford made engines. Here is a photo of 2 rare ENYA 19's. BOB
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:21 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Gluehand, Welcome !! The subject of oil percentage in fuel is a contentious one. Take a look at the recommendations for these Barbini engines. These must have been extremely low production, as I have only ever seen 1 available for sale. The numbers in the Barbini range apparently signify the age of the designer at the time, thus the B 38 was designed when he was 38 years of age, the B 40 two years later. Does anyone have one of these ?
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:45 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,009 Posts
Aero .35

Hi Bob,

Nice pair of Enya's !!
It's nice having contact with other collectors on this forum.
Think we have around the same method of collecting, in the earlier years of engine collecting I had to do the same, selling an engine (or two) to buy that special engine You were looking for.
Guess i have the same volume of engines in my collection as You, aprox. 150, mostly 4-cycle and interesting 2 cycle engines.
My collection is mostly from the area 1960's up to the 1990's.
Didn't buy much of engines since the last years as most of the engines that I really wanted are in my collection and unfortunately money doesn't grow on tree's in my backyard.

Hi Gluehand,
Nice info on the Damo's

Regards,
Danny

Aero.35 some info:
Designed and constructed in 1963 by August Savage and John Piston in their AeroResearch and development Co. Located 51-53 Great Arrow Ave. Buffalo NY.
Less than 1000 engines have been made.
danny.act is online now Find More Posts by danny.act
Last edited by danny.act; Mar 09, 2011 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Some additional info on the Aero.35
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:58 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hastf1b View Post
Little brother from Mach 1 Glo, the Webra Piccolo-Glo 0,8 ccm.

Heinz
Hi Heinz, are they two different engines ? I don't know a lot about Webra's but didn't one model of the Piccolo have just the backplate mounting and no lugs ? Have you heard any new details about the closing down of the Webra factory ? BOB
Old Mar 09, 2011, 05:19 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.act View Post
Hi Bob,

Nice pair of Enya's !!
It's nice having contact with other collectors on this forum.
Think we have around the same method of collecting, in the earlier years of engine collecting I had to do the same, selling an engine (or two) to buy that special engine You were looking for.
Guess i have the same volume of engines in my collection as You, aprox. 150, mostly 4-cycle and interesting 2 cycle engines.
My collection is mostly from the area 1960's up to the 1990's.
Didn't buy much of engines since the last years as most of the engines that I really wanted are in my collection and unfortunately money doesn't grow on tree's in my backyard.

Hi Gluehand,
Nice info on the Damo's

Regards,
Danny
thats one intersting engine. i like it
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Mar 09, 2011, 05:50 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Does anyone have one of these ?
Yes, I have a B38 (1 cc).
I had more or less forgotten about it since I bought it long ago, and when the subject was brought up on this forum 2009, I kind of 're-discovered' it, sitting deep in a box of bits and pieces....I have yet to run it though...

Oops...a diesel in the glow thread...

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Mar 09, 2011, 06:32 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
484 Posts
Twin-Stack, only the early Piccolo-Diesel has backplate mounting.
I have no new information over the Webra factory.

Heinz
hastf1b is offline Find More Posts by hastf1b