HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:17 AM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
... Engine on the end is a 1955 French R.E.A. 15 Serial #2037 (37th engine built in the 2000 Series) and the box sticker shows where these engines were sold.....
Indeed, La Source des Inventions near Gare de l'Est in Paris was THE place to buy Rea engines, but the label says the engine is a "Rea 5", i.e. a 0.29. I guess the box isn't the original one the .15 engine came in My own Rea 2.5 carries number 2318.
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:29 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP_blackfoot View Post
Indeed, La Source des Inventions near Gare de l'Est in Paris was THE place to buy Rea engines, but the label says the engine is a "Rea 5", i.e. a 0.29. I guess the box isn't the original one the .15 engine came in My own Rea 2.5 carries number 2318.
JMP, well spotted ! There was no photo of the 15's box, so I snuck one in belonging to my own R.E.A. 29 !
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:44 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
If someone asked you what you thought would be the highest recorded speed ever attained by a model glider, what would you say ? 100 mph - 130 mph perhaps ? Forget it - believe it or not, the record stands at just under 500 mph !! (498 mph to be exact)
Here's an earlier record attempt (no, I can't see it either)
Spencer's World Record 468mph Kinetic100DP flight video!!! (6 min 44 sec)

http://www.dskinetic.com/
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:53 AM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
JMP, well spotted ! There was no photo of the 15's box, so I snuck one in belonging to my own R.E.A. 29 !
La Source des Inventions was a legend in my youth. And then there was their catalog...! As a kid, I went there many times just to drool over the amazing variety on display. I would compare its fame to Henry J. Nichols' "308" in England.
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:31 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP_blackfoot View Post
J-M,

What a nice REA 5 cc... I rather like the photo as well...

Brian
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:46 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
When it comes to model engines, Bill Atwood had his fingers in a lot of pies. Like Duke Fox, he experimented with split crankcases, but where Duke went vertical, Bill went horizontal. Here's one of Bill Atwood's 1948 Triumph 51 glows, new in its original box (with a history).....
(for some reason, this engine is very hard to find on eBay -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ATWO...89029130214455 )
Last edited by Twin-Stack; Apr 16, 2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:56 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
J-M,

What a nice REA 5 cc... I rather like the photo as well...

Brian
Just for you Brian ! (and don't forget to keep clicking on it - at least 3 times)
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:40 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
With a "K" (for kangaroo) on the side, as well as a boomerang - this thing's gotta be Australian made.......
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:43 AM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
441 Posts
IT's a KRAFT .61, now being sold by RJL

ross
harborflyer is offline Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:29 AM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Joined Feb 2003
1,658 Posts
"Don't put any pressure on yourself to go fast, just fly "
Chas is offline Find More Posts by Chas
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:07 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,730 Posts
Yes it is a Kraft .60 engine. The Kraft RC systems people decided to dabble in model engines for a while too. So they had the Kraft engine made for them. I think at the time it was really a RJL, but it branded as a Kraft engine. They make really excellent sport engines too. The pattern plane folks wanted something with more pizazz to them, but it was great for Novice pattern, etc. Kraft also had some RC planes they sold under their label and one or two of those planes were made for the Kraft engine too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Gaui X3's
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:41 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Yes it is a Kraft .60 engine. The Kraft RC systems people decided to dabble in model engines for a while too. So they had the Kraft engine made for them. I think at the time it was really a RJL, but it branded as a Kraft engine. They make really excellent sport engines too. The pattern plane folks wanted something with more pizazz to them, but it was great for Novice pattern, etc. Kraft also had some RC planes they sold under their label and one or two of those planes were made for the Kraft engine too.
Yes RJL aka Randy Linsalato, the J may stand for the first name of his wife, she is of American-Indian origin, that I was told by Clarence Lee whom was befriended with Randy. The picture from my site shows an RJL engine and the RJL coffee-mug made by Daga in Hawaii. Do'nt know if this was made to order by RJL, sounds logic. The RJL mug runs on coffee and tea, adding sugar may give a little boost.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:44 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,525 Posts
Cabo Verde

OK Here some pictures from an old Vic-period factory at Boa Vista that I took.
I think it was a steam engine, you can see a crankshaft and some other remnants. Found out the site has been classified as historic and to be preserved. Well done Portugese rulers. Last picture is of my addaptive doughter Femke, she's seven. Now, what do you think this factory was ?
I do know of course. Got better pics on the I-Pad but still have to figure out how to transmit on the home Mac grrrrr
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:36 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Sounds logic that Phil handed out to RJL or was he already dead by that time ?
Met him once at the famous 308 shop in Holloway road London. But why does it say K 61 on the bottom beneath the RJL logo ? Was the reference to Kraft ment to point out the engine was available again under the other name ? I still do need an new or used needle for that RJL of mine.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:11 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,730 Posts
I think Phil Kraft was still around at the time Kraft was selling the Kraft .61 engine. But I don't remember if Kraft had sold the business off by then or not. Kraft was getting most interested in full scale planes and he had a full size aerobatic plane back then too. His plane looked like a Laser or Extra but it was made before those other planes existed.
I think Phil Kraft passed away in 2006. So he was still around with the Kraft engines were out.

Yeah I wondered if the K61 on the side of the crankcase is a leftover from when the engines were sold as Kraft engines. I think when Kraft quit with the engines it suddenly became a RJL then. MECOA still sells the RJL engine too. So getting a needle valve for it should be fairly easy.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Gaui X3's