Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:34 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie View Post
Pilot escaped from that. From memory it was in Japan?????
2003 "HAUTE VOLTIGE" Aerobatics Japan GP -Su26 clash- (1 min 53 sec)
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:06 PM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Chas's Avatar
Joined Feb 2003
1,658 Posts
must be Japan - described as "Su 26 clash"
Chas is offline Find More Posts by Chas
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:25 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
1954 Atwood 049 Outboard....
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:28 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Todays Mystery Engine (2 actually, but the one on the right is an easy one)
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:42 AM
Registered User
Gluehand's Avatar
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,845 Posts
I'm not a boat modeller, but I just love those early, 'pre-K&B' model outboards, looking like the real thing....

When does a 'Seagull' replica appear...?....

----------------------------------------------
Speaking of Seagull.....around 1980 (IIRC), I saw an ad in a British boat magazine, where a 'jubilee' model of Seagull was offered....a delicate miniature version, large enough to power a canoe or a very small dinghy...2 feet (or less...) tall....
I'm pretty sure I didn't dream it......maybe an April joke...?...or was this for real...
Google hasn't helped me the slightest...anyone here who could bring some light into this mystery...?
(I know, I've asked this before, but with no result...)
----------------------------------------------

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:45 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
danny.act's Avatar
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
The shy and retiring Hi-Max. Danny, did these share DNA with the British Magnum's ?
Hi Bob,

Back in time, they were anounced as the new British Magnum with 'computer designed' cranckcase housing.
In the USA both the earlier designed open rocker version and the newly designed engine were sold at the same time by Hobby Lobby. The earlier open rocker design as the 'classic version'.

regards,
Danny
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:58 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Google "Nightwind Drone" to read about the actual plane....
"The tiny engine is dubbed Wolverine 3 on account of its Michigan-based development and high power density. It's an air-cooled, two-cylinder, two-cycle, 88-cc, direct-injected, horizontally-opposed boxer with a two-piece aluminum block and anodized Nikasil cylinder liners. The engine accoutrements include an off-the-shelf Magneti Marelli ECU; a mechanical fuel pump delivers JP-8 to the cylinders, which is then ignited by traditional spark plugs. A mechanical oil pump pressurizes a scalable oil tank on top of the engine and feeds both the fuel mix (remember, this is a two-stroke) and total-loss oiling points in the engine. Calling on decades of automotive acoustic-tuning experience, Ricardo has developed an exhaust system capable of silencing the engine to a level below that of the electric motor it replaces. The real trick is the starter/generator that you don't see in the pictures: It's been adapted from its current application (medical robotics) and mounted on the front of the engine. The motor contributes 500 watts (0.66 hp) to the engine's total output, but more important for military operations, it can act as sole motivation, powering the Nightwind for stealthy, low-level flight."
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:34 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.act View Post
Hi Bob,

Back in time, they were anounced as the new British Magnum with 'computer designed' cranckcase housing.
In the USA both the earlier designed open rocker version and the newly designed engine were sold at the same time by Hobby Lobby. The earlier open rocker design as the 'classic version'.

regards,
Danny
I am willing to buy the one you have got Danny, no need to thank me old chap.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:39 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Reggy, sent you an email. Watch out for Tsunami's in that area - how fast can you swim ? BOB
Sorry I cannot read my normal email here, only G-mail
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:41 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Google "Nightwind Drone" to read about the actual plane....
"The tiny engine is dubbed Wolverine 3 on account of its Michigan-based development and high power density. It's an air-cooled, two-cylinder, two-cycle, 88-cc, direct-injected, horizontally-opposed boxer with a two-piece aluminum block and anodized Nikasil cylinder liners. The engine accoutrements include an off-the-shelf Magneti Marelli ECU; a mechanical fuel pump delivers JP-8 to the cylinders, which is then ignited by traditional spark plugs. A mechanical oil pump pressurizes a scalable oil tank on top of the engine and feeds both the fuel mix (remember, this is a two-stroke) and total-loss oiling points in the engine. Calling on decades of automotive acoustic-tuning experience, Ricardo has developed an exhaust system capable of silencing the engine to a level below that of the electric motor it replaces. The real trick is the starter/generator that you don't see in the pictures: It's been adapted from its current application (medical robotics) and mounted on the front of the engine. The motor contributes 500 watts (0.66 hp) to the engine's total output, but more important for military operations, it can act as sole motivation, powering the Nightwind for stealthy, low-level flight."
Fascinating
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:33 AM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
G WILLIE's Avatar
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
638 Posts
[QUOTE=Twin-Stack;21276086]G WILLIE, I have some questions regarding the FOX 35 Stunt , both old and new models....
1) The new FOX 35 "Super-Stunt" seems to be here one minute, and gone the next - what exactly are the changes that have been made to this engine, and why were they made ? Is it a factory or private rework ?
2) The stunt boys reckon the FOX "burp" only appeared with the enlarged bypass 1954 model - is that correct ?
3) Also with the 1954 model, the head could be either a "Ranger" or wedge shape - do you have photos of both, and why is the early head called a "Ranger" type ?
4) The 1970 model is listed as having cylinder liner ports shorter in length than the previous 1968 model - was that a significant change (ie. did it alter the running characteristics), or was Duke constantly fiddling like he did with his R/C throttles ? Thanks, BOB

I'm getting ready for the Weak Signals show at Toledo. Deciding on what to put into the MECA booth, rpinting flyers for our convention, EXPO XIII this fall in Pittsburgh, and maybe waxing my Astro Jeff. I'll get answers when I'm home next week. Meantime, get a subscription to Engine Collectors Journal, I'm running a series on the Stunt 35 there; first 3 installments are published, up through 1968; www.modelenginecollecting.com .

And everyone is welcome to come to the MECA Collecto at Toledo, you don't have to be a MECA member.

www.modelenginecollectors.org
G WILLIE is offline Find More Posts by G WILLIE
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:08 PM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Todays Mystery Engine (2 actually, but the one on the right is an easy one)
The right one is a Fox. Have that one NNIB. Gasket all along the length of the engine, believe sealing was a problem so it went off market quickly.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:09 PM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Todays Mystery Engine (2 actually, but the one on the right is an easy one)
The left one must be HB or Veco
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:54 PM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
G WILLIE's Avatar
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
The right one is a Fox. Have that one NNIB. Gasket all along the length of the engine, believe sealing was a problem so it went off market quickly.
Sealing may have been a problem, but the real problem was a weak case. It was breaking under the exhaust. In what may have been the worlds first recall, Fox asked for the engine back and for $1 he repplaced the old case with the new single piece design. ALL the parts from the splitcase were re-used.
G WILLIE is offline Find More Posts by G WILLIE
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:17 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Todays Mystery Engine (2 actually, but the one on the right is an easy one)
Yes, the one on the right is a 1953 FOX 19 "Split case" - the other engine is an Aussie Taipan 61 (a later one with Perry carb. - first ones had alloy Taipan made carb. see photo below)
Below - another of those "British" COX boxes.....
Bottom row shows 2 views of earlwb's "Split case" 19.....
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Last edited by Twin-Stack; Apr 10, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Vintage Engines being run video earlwb Engines 37 Apr 01, 2013 02:48 PM
For Sale Multiple glow engines Greyout Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 12 Oct 03, 2012 01:13 PM
For Sale Vintage glow engines for sale very cheap TheEdge Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 19 Jan 18, 2011 06:37 PM
Question rc glow engines startup1 Beginner Training Area (Fuel) 6 Nov 04, 2010 07:53 PM
For Sale four glow engines thriller Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 5 Sep 25, 2010 10:42 AM