Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 07, 2011, 12:17 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.act View Post
Nice Danny. The woman holding the plane on the right is his wife, forgot her name, but that evening there was a dance party in one of the hangars, typical French always with a life band and two girls singing Abba. And very good. Camping with them Royal Broken Wings club boys was an experience..... we were mentionned in ModÚle Magazine as the " Belgian Gourmets ". I wo'nt even mention the rum and vodka and wine consuming... What a beautifull airfield, you wake up in your camper, step outside, and you see a full size Cri-Cri (French voor cricket) rolling upside-down 3 metres above the grass. Full size Ónd model flying is still plenty in France. Because French do like airplanes.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2011, 05:01 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,350 Posts
I have aquirred a pair of reasonably cared for OS .60 FS of the old style exposed rockers type. Are there operationg instructions avaialbe on-line? And can these be mounted inverted and/or side mounted for scale applications without worry?

Please excuse my ignorance, as i've never operated any 4 stroke types.

And TIA!

charlie
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Oct 07, 2011, 05:06 PM
Joined Oct 2007
367 Posts
Hi, here we have the 60 FS manual.
Good luck buddy
Carlo
stg61abc is offline Find More Posts by stg61abc
Last edited by stg61abc; Oct 07, 2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 05:47 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
More on the DallOglio engines here, plus you get to brush up on your Italian !
http://www.italianengines.com/schede/DallOglio.pdf

(If you have trouble connecting to the website just by clicking onto the link, try typing the address in manually)
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Oct 07, 2011, 06:44 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,350 Posts
thank you very much, Carlo!

I would like to mount one of my .60 FS in a very light 1/4 scale Aeronca (96") and use it in a side mount or inverted. Any horror stories applicable to such an installation?
Old Oct 07, 2011, 07:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
G WILLIE, is this true ?
"The Fox .29R (ashtray intake) is a problem engine in that Fox never did learn how to taper and fit pistons for the application and very few of them will run really good. Also Fox made a lot of different .29R and .29X engines. The only one suitable is the one with a plain bearing and a round intake tube; it sort of resembles a standard (Fox 35) stunt engine. Most of these had a number and an R stamped on the engine somewhere". (Quote from - http://www.modelresearchlabs.com/C700inchSpacer.doc ) BOB
Old Oct 07, 2011, 07:35 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
I must confess to a liking for Johnson engines, and have just purchased the 1962 36 R/C shown below. This is a "big case" Johnson, and when they first appeared in 1960 they had only one real weakness, and that was that the 2 long headbolts directly above the exhaust stack screwed into the same thickness of metal as the stack itself. Thus, those 2 bolts would easily strip their threads if only moderate force was used on the screwdriver. Later 1961 models had a little extra metal added to those 2 threaded holes, in the form of a "dimple" which extended down from the interior of the stack at each hole. Many used "big case" Johnson's will have a nut on the end of those 2 head bolts to further strengthen the set-up. Be aware that if you buy one of the "Sport Special" Johnson's with the shortened venturi, your engine has probably been made up from originally rejected "2nd grade" parts. The engine test below from American Modeler Feb. 1962. Further Johnson info at -
http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/j36bb.html
Photo below right shows a Combat Special on the left, a Stunt Supreme in the centre, and a "Small Case" 35 Sport on the right. The photo at the bottom shows the first model with the 2 head bolts held merely by the thickness of the exhaust stack (look closely). BOB
Last edited by Twin-Stack; Oct 09, 2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:31 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Whilst I find these huge models quite fascinating, I can't help wondering why anyone would build such a large model - why not go that little bit further and build something you can actually get into and fly yourself ? Which brings me to my next question - who will be the first idiot to put a child on board for a joy flight ? Shown below would be an ideal "huge" model, the beautiful Lockheed Altair. This is the last photo taken of Sir Charles Kingsford Smith (in the centre, with his mechanic/co-pilot Tommy Pethybridge on the left) at London's Croydon airport in October 1935, just prior to them both disappearing on their flight to Australia. The mechanic is topping up the oil tank for the Pratt & Whitney Wasp.
http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/...ed-Altair.html
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:39 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Here we have the latest in VTO aircraft, but I'm not sure where the pilot sits.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:40 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit View Post

I would like to mount one of my .60 FS in a very light 1/4 scale Aeronca (96") and use it in a side mount or inverted. Any horror stories applicable to such an installation?
I really feel that the OS 60or will not be enough power for your model. As I'm sure you know weight is only one thing to consider, drag is another.
If you had a really long runway you might get off but any wind at all will make that model very interesting to fly.
A newer more powerful 60 two stroke would do it but I would lean towards a 90 or 91 four stroke.
Just my opinion of course and good luck with what ever your choice.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:41 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,497 Posts
Quote:

How light is the plane? If it is like a Sig Senior Kadet (the kit, the one you have to build, not the ARF thing), then yes it would work. I flew a .60FS in my Senior Kadet for a very long time. It had too much power for the plane, but I had a throttle so i would tool around at 1/2 throttle or less even.

But if your Aeronca is heavier besides being bigger, it may be a problem, hard to say though for sure.

A side mount installation should pose no problem. Inverted is OK, but then the rocker arms are exposed and on the bottom where it gets dirty and gritty from the dirt being kicked up by the prop on the ground. Inverted also means the fuel tank location needs to be really close to ideal as well.

Maynard Hill had his TAM 5 record setting distance plane setup with a modified OS .60FS engine and it was side mounted. Oops maybe it was a OS .61FS engine he used. I am not sure now.

So I would suggest side mounting the engine.
But William3590 has a point, a nice .91 size engine would be much better.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Oct 07, 2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 11:23 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,350 Posts
I owned and operated Aeronca KCA No.19 (of 56). It had a c-50 with up stacks, no carb heat, and no stearable tail wheel. It was built in 1938 and operated ln Standard Category, which meant it was a real aircraft, but just barely with only 50 HP.

An old FFer and have long felt most R/C models are way overpowered, largley because they are usually overbuilt. I don't fly in strong wind conditions and plan to fly very realistically. S-L-O-W-L-Y and no vertical performnce what-so-ever, just like the real thing.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 06:17 AM
Joined Oct 2007
367 Posts
Quote:

Hi Charlie. I bet that youll not find any problems. I saw various scale J-3 flying with four stroke inverted and sideways engines without any problems.
Please inform us the progress you made in flying the Aeronca or any else.
All the best
stg61abc is offline Find More Posts by stg61abc
Old Oct 08, 2011, 09:17 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
How light is the plane? If it is like a Sig Senior Kadet (the kit, the one you have to build, not the ARF thing), then yes it would work. I flew a .60FS in my Senior Kadet for a very long time. It had too much power for the plane, but I had a throttle so i would tool around at 1/2 throttle or less even.

But if your Aeronca is heavier besides being bigger, it may be a problem, hard to say though for sure.

A side mount installation should pose no problem. Inverted is OK, but then the rocker arms are exposed and on the bottom where it gets dirty and gritty from the dirt being kicked up by the prop on the ground. Inverted also means the fuel tank location needs to be really close to ideal as well.

Maynard Hill had his TAM 5 record setting distance plane setup with a modified OS .60FS engine and it was side mounted. Oops maybe it was a OS .61FS engine he used. I am not sure now.

So I would suggest side mounting the engine.
But William3590 has a point, a nice .91 size engine would be much better.
Believe there is a pic of my Sig Sr Kadet in a previous page, in fact that model was SO light that this OS FS60 was indeed overpowering, only needed half gas on the throttle stick. I wished I never sold that plane earl, the most perfect trainer ever. I do have the prefab version in the attic, finished in red see-trough and black oracover. Chinese prefab.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Oct 08, 2011, 10:06 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,497 Posts
I still have my big Sig Kadet. It has been powered by electric motors and by glow power off and on over the years. I pulled it out of storage recently to refurbish it some and try a RC Drone .29 Diesel engine in it for a change. I love how one can tool around for a relaxing day at the flying field, just to have some fun, no stress etc. The original plans called for a .29 to .36 two stroke glow engine for power. I think it is more like a glider than a powered airplane.

earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My homemade Hexacopter build