SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2011, 10:42 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Rarely seen Wiley 40 - note the minimal amount of cooling fins, although Schnuerle ported engines tend to run cooler than an equivalent loop scavenged one.
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2011, 12:05 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
More Tests -
Old Oct 02, 2011, 12:17 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Rarely seen Wiley 40 - note the minimal amount of cooling fins, although Schnuerle ported engines tend to run cooler than an equivalent loop scavenged one.
I think they had designed the Wiley .40 engine for the control line 4-2-4 break mode of operation. So it tends to run on the rich side a little with short full power bursts when you do the stunts. Also I doubt they expected you to run it in a cowled speed plane as well. So it probably ran quite well like that with little in the way of cooling fins.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Oct 02, 2011, 12:19 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Still on the nautical theme, take a look at the unusual method of water cooling on this Taifun Bison Marine. Hillbillies who brew their own firewater will be familiar with this apparatus.
http://www.kleinstdiesel.de/Collekti...on_marine.html

The nice twin stack OS 29 is there to remind Mr. Wiz to keep his mind on the subject !
Old Oct 02, 2011, 12:33 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
At the very opposite end of the cooling fin scale, is this ETA 15 Diesel. Can you count 'em without using a pencil or cursor ?
Old Oct 02, 2011, 12:46 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Not more car stories, I hear you cry ! Well this guy is actually a little known Aussie maker of model engines, the JW. The single cylinder JW 60 was unique in employing beam mounts with rubber bushings. BOB

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~pwst...y/jmwstory.htm
Last edited by Twin-Stack; Oct 02, 2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 01:27 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Just out of curiosity. Some years ago, Model Aviation had this article on soft mounting larger engines that involved sandwiching a heavy rubber diaphrgm between two slices of ply with the centers cut out. The centers were centered in the cutouts (The kerf had to be wide enough that there was no contact with the bulkheads) and the centers had to be large enough to clear the outsides of the engine mounts. Has anybody tried this? Been thinking of trying it on a project for either a Fox .60 or .78.
The rubber material I have available is cut from truck air brake diaphragms.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Oct 02, 2011, 12:17 PM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
671 Posts
typical heli stunt - if this wasn't photoshopped it is another example of heli kids showing off - like the one in Florida who buzzed a poor girl and whn there was a malfunction of sorts cut her up very badly
G WILLIE is offline Find More Posts by G WILLIE
Old Oct 02, 2011, 06:13 PM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
Quote:

and now for something completely different
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Oct 02, 2011, 07:40 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Don't see a lot of these 19's around -
Old Oct 02, 2011, 08:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
More Allyn stuff -
Old Oct 02, 2011, 08:32 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Classic Stunt engine -
Old Oct 02, 2011, 09:17 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
A definite rarity - Japanese Mamiya 049
Old Oct 02, 2011, 09:19 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
I remember having one of those Cub .19s in high school. It was a bear for me to start. MAde my ears ring worse than any other engine I had. Ran well in CL, as long as I didn't try loops or wingovers. Didn't seem to want to suck fuel with sudden nose up controls. Did take a lot of flipping to start, but once started, pulled a lot better than either McCoy .19 I had. Gave me a lot of sore, bloody fingers.
Had two of them over the years, both are now at the local landfill. The local counties are too densly populated to continue flying without mufflers, and I just couldn't see any way to mount one.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:55 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,349 Posts
You can always find a clamp on muffler that will fit the engines.
I fitted a Davis Diesel Soundmaster muffler onto my old Fox Blue Head .60 engine. it took minimal effort. I have a little Fox .15 muffler on my Drone .29 RC conversion engine too. I modified it to be a clamp on as well.

Now then putting a muffler on the angled swept back exhaust outlets on engines like the O&R engines is a challenge though.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter