HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:32 PM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP_blackfoot View Post
The rocker assembly looks suspiciously like that from an OS 60 FS. Even the cam shaft may be OS. I see the exhaust on the opposite side of the OS and the rear pushrod going left, while the OS is rear-right.
Hi JM,

At first sight, It may look like they are just the same as O.S.parts, but if You look close, You will notice it are different parts.
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:48 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,403 Posts
Hi danny.act. They may look the same as OS parts, but you said, " You will notice it are different parts". What parts are different? The size or shape?
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:49 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROSKIN76 View Post
what is the benefit of dual plugs?
Multi R/C (as it was known back in the 1960's) probably had a lot to do with it. Reasonably efficient throttles were starting to be fitted, by 1965 mufflers had become standard equipment, and fitting dual plugs was seen as a way to make the engine idle more reliably - without the "fire going out" ! BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Mar 12, 2011, 03:15 PM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
995 Posts
Hi JohnAV8R,

Rocker arms /assembly, camshaft, parts that JM mentioned.
Don't know about size, havn't measured yet.

Zeroskin76,

Most recent motor, if i'm right, that uses DUAL PLUG's is SAITO FR-325 DP 5cyl. radial.
They fitted Dual Plug's per cyl. for a more reliable run at lower rpm's and idle run.

http://www.motorcyclekb.com/Uwe/Foru...343/Twin-Spark
Last edited by danny.act; Mar 12, 2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 03:27 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROSKIN76 View Post
what is the benefit of dual plugs?
Before throttles were fitted to model engines, this was all we had - 2 separate needle valves. One was set lean for high speed running, and one was set rich for slow running. Biggest problem was, a special fuel tank was needed to switch between the two, which explains the actuator built onto the tank. Using primitive Radio Control equipment, the operator could "blip" to get either high or low speed. Here is my FOX 19 with dual NVA's. BOB
Old Mar 12, 2011, 03:47 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,776 Posts
Many years ago, I came across this OS FS60 by coincident.....one of those 'blind purchases' per telephone...I was expecting a later model.

As seen, this is the early model with machined head, machined carb body, alloy rockers, etc.
Not very powerful, but in good shape. Although running it on 'straight' fuel, it has yet to throw a prop on me...

Is this the very first FS60, or is there still another predecessor...?

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Mar 12, 2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:15 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Not air-cooled, but glow and RARE !!
4 stroke model engine OS FS-60 rc marine + onboard starter (1 min 4 sec)

And for budding engine collectors, here's a good site
http://www.rojobcn.com/ultimosmotores.htm
Click onto the engine you wish to look at
Last edited by Twin-Stack; Mar 12, 2011 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Stupidity again
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:37 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Another engine with a multitude of small holes for the exhaust, the French Micron 28 (with notes by Michel Molinie)
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:07 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,789 Posts
Imagine the mess on the model Bob, neat engine though

Bill
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:44 PM
Birthplace of Aviation
Joined Jul 2003
1,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
Imagine the mess on the model Bob, neat engine though
Bill
I had one on a controliner back in 1969. That thing was loud
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:15 AM
Joined Jan 2006
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Well after going to the MECA website I found this guy. I haven't bought anything but it looks like he has some good books there on the subject of engine collecting.

Thanks!
The American Model Engine Encyclopedia is an excellent book I bought a copy for my Dad for Christmas and we had fun identifying all the engines in his and my collection. I even read it cover to cover. It shows such an amazing diversity in design and manufacturer of american engines. There is no detail of how they ran, but what it does it does very well

Tim Dannels also got it out to me fast came the next day; I used standard shipping and he is like 1000 miles away from me. I was initially a little worried as I ordered it in the middle of December, and he is like a cottage industry.
gzkpez is online now Find More Posts by gzkpez
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:11 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Before throttles were fitted to model engines, this was all we had - 2 separate needle valves. One was set lean for high speed running, and one was set rich for slow running. Biggest problem was, a special fuel tank was needed to switch between the two, which explains the actuator built onto the tank. Using primitive Radio Control equipment, the operator could "blip" to get either high or low speed. Here is my FOX 19 with dual NVA's. BOB
Next up was the bolt-on rotating exhaust restrictor, basically a flattened rod, as shown with the '57 FOX 35. Thin side = high speed, flat side = low speed. Could be used in either R/C or C/L.

Then came the coupled venturi throttle / exhaust restrictor, as shown on the lovely OS Max III 35, which combined the "advantages" of both.

Please Note : I know that this information is "old hat" to all you fellow (experienced) collectors out there, but I happen to know that there are a few very inexperienced, but keen to learn newbies watching. BOB
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:16 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
995 Posts
O.S. FS-60 differences

Gluehand,

As seen from the pictures this is the first production edition (MkI) from the O.S. FS-60.

Beside the machinend head, carb. and alloy rockers,
The first edition didn't have a pressure niple on the rear cranckcase cover (on the lower right as seen from behind the engine)
Also, a small hole (for easy retaining of the wristpin) on the rear of the cranckcase just under the cooling fins was only present on the MkI
Last edited by danny.act; Mar 13, 2011 at 04:15 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:36 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
995 Posts
O.S. FS-60 series

O.S. FS-60 open rocker versions
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:43 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
995 Posts
O.s. Fs-75

O.s. Fs-75

Seems like the FS-75 was made with two different rear cranckcase covers during production. One looks just the same as the one from the FS-60 and some other (later production?) has the rear cranckcase cover wich looks just the same as on the FS-80 model.

Will ad a picture of the other FS-75 with the other cranckcase cover later on this post.
Last edited by danny.act; Mar 13, 2011 at 03:59 AM.