HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2011, 06:10 PM
Joined Jan 2006
270 Posts
[QUOTE=earlwb;17630229]Speaking about the Fox Rocket .09 engines, here is one of mine.
I think they ran pretty good at the time.
I still have a unused one as shown in this pic here:

They run real nice turn a little larger prop, but power is lacking a little. Nice engine for a beginer
gzkpez is offline Find More Posts by gzkpez
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2011, 06:37 PM
Joined Jan 2006
270 Posts
[QUOTE=earlwb;17627294]I used to have a couple of Madewell .49 engines that were converted to glow.
A long exhaust stack version and a short exhaust stack version. This one was never run.

I have a Madewell 49 on a R/C Playboy Sr. It is a good combination for a light Playboy. i was able to get close to a Max in dead air. The old Madewell ad said runs like a 60 and I have to agree. Did find out that it did not like crashing into a b52 runway, in the 70s. It caused much damage, but surprisingly was able to get parts to repair.

I do not think it should be run as a glow engine. The case casting at least now are not that strong in my opinion, and would not want to destructive test to find out.

If I could somehow rig an excuse for a muffler I might fly it for fun at my local field. Silly muffler rule.
gzkpez is offline Find More Posts by gzkpez
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:13 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,560 Posts
gzkpez, the Fox Rocket 09 used piston port induction so it could not be timed too hot to yield higher performance like you can with a front intake rotary valve engine. So yes it would be anemic when compared to the hotter .09's that came out. But it was in good company with the Gilbert 07's and 11's of that time period and some other engines like it.
But it was like the reed valve Cox engines in that it could run forward or in reverse no problem.

I remember the Gilbert engines all came with a reverse rotation prop, so that you had to run the engine in a clockwise direction instead of the counter-clockwise direction. This would cause the airplane to torque turn to the right or towards the outside in a control line plane and circle which is probably not a bad thing when you think about it. especially for beginners in CL flying.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:31 PM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
are gilbert able to run both ways
i have a couple and thought it was a reverse rotation engine for sircle use!

gilberts were very nice looking engines whenever i see mine i get an erge to watch star trek due to its shape
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:48 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
I guess the British made Yulon engines are pretty much unheard of by US based collectors, so here is some information. The very first one (not shown here) was the Yulon 30, and distinguished by NOT having the "bee-hive" cylinder finning shape shown on these later examples. The 2 engines on the right are both 29's, the one on the end being a slightly later example (Serial #439) than the middle one (Serial #204). Note that the earlier one has a 1 piece, screw-on head with 4 blank holes at the top for tightening purposes. The later one has a 2 piece set-up, the bottom half screwing on, whilst the actual head is secured by 4 bolts. The engine on the left is the Yulon 49, basically a bored out 29 - it also has the 2 piece head but secured with 6 bolts. This 49 bears the Serial # of either 260 or 200 (a bit indistinct). All the Yulons had 360 degree porting, the exhaust ports consisting of a multitude of small holes (in the case of the 49, 32 !) drilled around the circumference of the cylinder, the bypass ports being a similar arrangement. The 49 was, apparently, a bit too lightly built for its size, and stories abound of them blowing their tops off - the cylinder departing in a similar manner to tearing a postage stamp off at the perforations ! I hope to eventually run the 49, if only to hear the racket it makes. Reportedly, the noise can be heard for miles around, hence the name given to Yulons - "The Howler."
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:50 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,663 Posts
Are there publications for engine collectors?
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:17 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has an original Yulon instruction sheet (for copying) and also, my 49 is missing its needle valve. Does anyone have one (again, for replicating) or even if you know the thread size, that would be most helpful ! The 49 has a Super Tigre type, screw IN type needle. And while on the subject of Yulons, apparently the late Ron Moulton visited the late O.F.W. (Peter) Fisher at his castle (Onchan Towers ?) on the I.O.M. and took some photo's, one of which apparently appeared on the cover of a SAM (Society of Antique Modellers) magazine. Anyone have a copy they could scan ? The Yulon 29 shown here purportedly belonged to Peter Fisher. The last photo ( and I apologise for the poor quality) shows the very first Yulon, the 30. BOB
Last edited by Twin-Stack; Jul 22, 2011 at 04:27 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:27 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Are there publications for engine collectors?
Unfortunately, these are a little thin on the ground. Those that print information are MECA (Model Engine Collectors Association) headed by my friend Bill Mohrbacher, and the SAM organisation mentioned above. John Goodall (Bamopro) in the UK used to publish an interesting magazine call Model Engine World (MEW) which is now defunct, but back issues are available I think. BOB
Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:44 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,663 Posts
Well after going to the MECA website I found this guy. I haven't bought anything but it looks like he has some good books there on the subject of engine collecting.

Thanks!
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:56 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Here is the last Yulon made, the Eagle 29, made in low numbers and sans the black crackle finish. Still 360 degree porting, but not now of the "postage stamp" variety. The centre bottom photo shows a Yulon 49 with its box, and the last photo is the very first Yulon, the 30. BOB
Last edited by Twin-Stack; Aug 16, 2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:59 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy hanson View Post
ops

mvvs
Frank Klenk is offline Find More Posts by Frank Klenk
Old Mar 11, 2011, 09:24 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Known mainly as a Diesel, here's the British AMCO 3.5cc in its glow plug variant. Quite a few manufacturers (including PAW in latter times) tried converting their Diesel engines to glow, but (for various reasons) with little success. Note how the "long shaft" is obtained by using a long prop driver.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:43 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROSKIN76 View Post
are gilbert able to run both ways
i have a couple and thought it was a reverse rotation engine for sircle use!
gilberts were very nice looking engines whenever i see mine i get an erge to watch star trek due to its shape
Yes they can run both ways. Originally they all came with a reverse rotation plastic prop. You normally ran the engine clockwise. Unless you got a normal prop, then you ran it counter clockwise.

You can still get a spring starter for them, but it is wound in reverse to use the Gilbert standard reverse props.

Here is the coolest gadget/plane/ultralight used with the Gilbert .07 engine as a pusher. The famous Wing Thing...

earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:17 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Klenk View Post
mvvs
Yes Frank a 144

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:21 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,937 Posts
This motor is an excellent runner, much better than it's little brother.
An OS 75 open rocker, these are fairly rare as well.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590