HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2011, 08:00 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,206 Posts
Well, they aren't cheap. I'd love that twin with the red anodizing. Did you watch the video? I could even be tempted to fly one of those.... It sounded that good to me.

Well, they aren't glow so I'll limit my coments about them to this post.
Back to your regularly scheduled program....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Wiz, you are right - they certainly do have a "vintage" look about them, but also obviously high-tech at the same time. I had not seen them before, but now - I want one bad ! (curse you) BOB
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2011, 08:45 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,822 Posts
Wiz, they still make and sell those Kolm engines. So one can buy them. But they are really good and really expensive, especially with the value of the dollar declining like it is.
Kolm made that really spectacular 3 cylinder engine that sounds fantastic in the air. But I would have to spend my son's college savings for it though. I doubt my family would let me.
:-O

Thanks G-Willie, I must have totally missed out on the heli engines when Fox was making them. I must have had interests in something else at the time and didn't pay any attention to it.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:02 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,206 Posts
My kids are in school now. We bought them education trusts when they were young. That pays for about half of what their education will actually cost. The rest is up to them. It seems to have been a pretty good program.... But I don't think a Kolm is in the cards for me any time soon. I did get that Irvine .40 the other day, though.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:33 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,788 Posts
St 60

Here is one of my Super Tigre G60 Blue Heads. This one has never seen fuel but I do not have box. Hint, hint It has Mariano inscribed on the mounting lug, I have mixed stories on this and do not know for sure why.......anyone?

Bill
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:04 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
It has Mariano inscribed on the mounting lug, I have mixed stories on this and do not know for sure why.......anyone?
Bill
Didn't he run that little Pizza joint just down from the factory ? Nah, just kidding !
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:35 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Stuff -
http://www.lymanslack.com/ModelAviat...aphy/temp.html

http://klamc.co.uk/KLAMCNewsFebruary2011.aspx (click onto the engine photo to see the video)

http://www.tech-domain.com/thread-7395-1-1.html

http://www.eichy.de/sammlung.html (click onto engine names to see photo)
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:53 AM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
600 Posts
Comet Foxes

Here is the start of photos of the Comet Fox engines that John Krickel wrote of in his 049 Newslettter; it helps to have a copy ofhis article. I have captioned them according to Krickels article. IE, 59-K1-1 is the 1959 .07, Krickel item 1, and the first photo of this item. Item 59-K2.2-2 is the 1959 .07, Krickel's item 2, but I have 2 variations of it, so it is 2.2, and the 2nd picture of this item. It helps to have the index handy.

This first post has the engine from my Hornet. The Hornet pictures show how the engine is mounted using diagonal holes in the beam mounts to hold the engine in the half shell until it is assembled. Once assembled, the other diagonal holes are used to help hold the car together; clever. Many RTFs have the plastic mounting bosses split from years of internal stress or overtightening or crash damage. I found I can often push and epoxy a piece of aluminum tubing over the damaged boss to hold it together. It will function as new and not split again, and is unobtrusive.
G WILLIE is offline Find More Posts by G WILLIE
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:02 AM
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
600 Posts
Comet Fox engnes 2

Here is another K1 engine. I have called it K1.X as I don't know how it was used. It has undrilled mounts indicating it was radial mounted, but it has one of the radial mounting tabs missing. The K2 engines are short cases with the spacer. Note one is a plain, no cartouche case and the other has the comet.

Also note the tank orientation. Comet always mounted the engine with the cylinder horizontal.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:06 AM
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
600 Posts
Comet Foxes 3

Here are the K3s and K4. Note the K3 tank has blind tabs, no holes.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:20 AM
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
600 Posts
Fox .049 and .07s

As John Krickel reported, when Fox quit supplying Comet, he had a huge number of unfinished engines and parts. He modified them a little and sold them out as Fox .07 Compact Stunt Motors. Later he used the same basic parts to make the .049.

Ok, Here are the Fox .07 and Fox.049. There is a comparison shot of the .07 and .049 cylinders, may eliminate some confusion and is a good "spotter" shot. I've also noted that Comet engines have tight fitting pressed on prop drivers, Foxes are loose slip on.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:25 AM
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
600 Posts
Fox .07 and .049

Here are K9, K10, and K11. Very interesting is as cast K11 crankcase. If Fox started out with the old .07 mold, it follows you can take stuff out of a mold, but not put it back in. That would explain why the old "dishpan" is still there! The .049 FAI must have been a new mold.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:30 AM
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
600 Posts
Comet Foxes Final

Here are all the case markings Krickel speaks of and can be used by collectors for ID. Note on K5, the Fox .07, you can still see remnants of where the Comet was ground off. The "bump" on the .049 case, K6, is sure hard to photograph.

Please note that although this series of pictures are all my engines, the original descriptions are all John Krickel's. John's marvelous small engine research is just a fraction of his engine work. Tim Dannels ( www.modelenginecollecting.com ) still has most of the back copies of Engine Collectors Journal available very reasonably where you can see more of Krickel's reports.

And don't forget, MECA ( www.modelenginecollectors.org ) is the group of folks who research and maintain engine history.
Last edited by G WILLIE; Aug 18, 2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:16 AM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
nice timing i just listed a 63 .07 rc in for sale forum, polished with good plug and optional tank backplate, never flown but ran

i have most of the engines you posted bill but what is a fai .049?
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:20 AM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
also some helpfull advice for guys using the .07 rc with the optional tank mount

you will need to add very thick handmade gasket to back of engine or shave a couple hairs off inside of most of those backplates when adding to engine because they will sit right on the back of the crank pin and hinder motion
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:52 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,822 Posts
I still have a couple of NIB Fox .07 RC engines myself. I am planning on using them one of these days, but it hasn't happened yet.

earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane