HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2001, 02:39 AM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Have you flown gas also, or only Electrics?

Just curious as to if you've tried both or only E planes.

After the overwhelming response to my other thread about $$$ I'm curious as to how many here have actually tried both, and how much of the bias towards electrics is based on actual experiance, and how much of it is based on just hearsay.

Give me your thoughts guys!!---Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2001, 02:50 AM
p471701
n/a Posts
flew glow for 10+ years.then sold everything and changed over to e flight................gregg
Old Oct 14, 2001, 02:58 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,650 Posts
My WAG would be that anyone who has been flying RC for more than say ten years almost certainly flew glow before they did electric (of course there may be exceptions).

For my part I started with glow, then built and electric model about five years ago and gradually the proportion of electric:glow flying I do has gone up to probably 90:10 this year. It looked like it was going to go to 100% electric a couple of months ago but discussions on forums like this one have made me hang fire on that and I'll keep some glow models bubbling under for a while at least.

cheers

Leccy
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 14, 2001, 02:59 AM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
I flew gas for 15-20 years off and on and everything from
1/2A to quarter scale (if you think electric is expensive, check
the price on 2 cylinder 1/4 scale engines), and also heli's.
I still have most of them and I enjoyed it while I did it,
but eventually got tired of the hassle (and expense).
I much prefer the quiet and ease of flying electric.
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Last edited by DNA; Oct 14, 2001 at 03:01 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2001, 03:31 AM
portland, oregon, us
Joined Jun 2001
30 Posts
I flew gas 18 years ago. Got tired of driving 20 miles to fly. Rekitted quite a few planes, burned out a few glow plugs, and helped kill alot of trees replacing broken props. Got my first Lite Stick 4 months ago and it is still flyable but I put the gear in a Tiger Moth. I also fly a Cub-F. I go to the local park every Sat and Sun morning and buzz around till the wind comes up. If not for the electrics I don't think I would be flying RC now.
jdwall is offline Find More Posts by jdwall
Old Oct 14, 2001, 03:40 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
Gets asked fairly often. E.g. see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&threadid=1603

You know my answer. If it flies I either have one or want one.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Oct 14, 2001, 03:41 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
my first plane was a gas trainer... I was nervous about flying it, so figured I would get a junky little electric plane to fly when I couldn't make it to the field. After I flew the gasser the first time (it crashed, I'm a newbie), and getting an electric model (crashed too, I still don't know how to fly well), I decided that gas wasn't worth the hassle. The attitude with gas guys I've met is that electric is junk, and something not worth bothering with. cost may vary, and there may be certain models that can only be flown with gas to reach certain performance levels, but after dealing with the multitude of accessories (starter, starter batt, starter batt charger, rx batt, tx batt, tx charger, rx charger, glow plugs, glo plug starter, glo plug charger, glo fuel, fuel pump, blah blah blah blah)...

you get the point. gas requires an insane amount of STUFF to be hauled around. electrics have battery packs, and chargers... that's about it... bring your tx and model to the field, and charger if you want to fly more than once. much more convenient.
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Oct 14, 2001, 03:41 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,864 Posts
I started flying glow about 21 yrs ago, but had several years where I didnt fly much at all, then quit completely for about five years...my oldest boy is five, what a coincidence?? When I started getting interested again, I got a litestik to fly in front of the house, and the next thing I know I'm back in the hobby with both feet!! I dabbled in electrics before, but never seriously. I've sold all but two of my glow engines, still have a 1.20 sized Ultimate bipe I need to finish, which I will keep on glow, I'm sure, and a Rossi .45 is laying around somewhere. I'm thinking of staying with electric's and four strokes, cause I like the sound of the latter, we all know why I/we like e-flying!!

Later,
David
David Hogue is online now Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2001, 03:52 AM
sb1
Charlotte,NC
Joined Jun 2001
235 Posts
First tried r/c planes in the mid-80's, got tired of the so called club and trying to sort everything out. Raced r/c electric cars for a few years(93-94) but always wanted to try planes again. About 6 months ago I found this site and really became interested in e-flight, a co-worker who flys glow lent me his GP flight sim and I was on my way again. Without this site and e-flight I would never have tried planes again. Have built a couple of planes from a kit and have 2 ARF's, a wattage ezette and a kyosho cessna 180 powered with a MM. Plus I like reading slewin's and leccy's posts on their planes and insight to the hobby.

sb1
sb1 is offline Find More Posts by sb1
Old Oct 14, 2001, 04:19 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Flew gas for a few years. Moved out of state and there was no place to fly...Moved back in state as before only to find my flying sites were gone. Well, what to do now, "buy an RC truck".

Wandered into the Planes dept at the LWS and look at a Funny looking Zagi thing, boom. Gas be gone.

Can fly anywhere, I love scale, Multi engines are a snap, no field box required, no gas smell, more challenging to make the thing as light as possible... but best of all, I like having 2 flights in before the gas guys have thier motor running smoothly.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Oct 14, 2001, 07:29 AM
B.C. Canada
Joined Dec 2000
70 Posts
Electrics only

I have been flying for 3 years now. Only Electrics. Never flown gas.
GUIS is offline Find More Posts by GUIS
Old Oct 14, 2001, 10:19 AM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Sep 2001
528 Posts
I've been flying for 2 months. Electrics exclusively. The funny thing is, I've hung around at several of the clubs here talking and watching and I'm literally the only one I know flying electrics. A couple have played around with Firebird/XLs and I'm told there's one helo guy flys a zagi sometimes, but it's otherwise exclusively slimers. Makes me the local trendsetter, lol

You wouldn't believe the attention I get flying my Razor- I've had less than 15 minutes flying on it (5 3-minute flights) and already have been approached by 6 different people (joggers, dog-walkers, middle school janitor driving by on his way home) asking all sorts of questions. I don't think I had 2 people come up to me during the 6 hours I clocked on my Firebird XL!
Steve Fehr is offline Find More Posts by Steve Fehr
Old Oct 14, 2001, 10:24 AM
Germantown, MD 20874
Joined Jan 2001
55 Posts
electric vs oily

I agree with Steve "You know my answer. If it flies I either have one or want one." Though I believe that school yard planes should be electric. I don't know how it happened but my electric Yard Bee weighs 11.5 oz and my .03 diesel powered Yard Bee weighs 14.5 oz ?????????????
Francis Person is offline Find More Posts by Francis Person
Old Oct 14, 2001, 10:49 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Rob
Started with rubber power a while back - around 40 years, then diesel / glow CL, eventually into RC, both glow and gliders around 1979. Flew pattern, scale, open and mini (equiv to HLG) gliders, mostly sport, some comps.

Also dabbled on the fringes of indoor CO2 / ruber scale!

Gave up gliders - pointless and boring. Gave up comps - far too much of unobtainable spare time needed in all directions. I look back on my little forays into scale comps with great affection. Through all that, my big love was designing my own sports glow powered models - always small-ish in size, usually pretty fast, almost inevitably aerobatic.

Around 1985, built my first electric. It wasn't a snoarer and you could swap the pack without taking the model apart. That must have had a long lasting effect on me!

Really looked at electrics for sports flying around 1996, after my first trip to KRC. After seeing Keith Shaw fly his 20 cell, 65" semiscale Me 35 at KRC 97, I decided that I wanted something like it. Shortly afterwards, the dust got thicker on the glow models, and I haven't flown wet power since maybe 1998. Can now get what performance I need out of an electric. It is a greater challenge to do so, from buying suitable stuff, to assembling a model that is light enough to offset that battery, to flying without an almost endless amount of power on tap all the time.

If I wanted a glow model, I'd go buy one. Okay, my wife would roll her eyes at the funny smells in the house once more, but she's very tolerant of my funny little hobby. But I don't need the oil, smell and fuss, so why bother? I've flown at a few mixed fuel fields, no seems to mind - or even notice - my electrics. One or two have gone off all thoughtful.

Heck, it's a big world. It can stand the odd guy who, faced with the noise restraints threatening our hobby, flies a Zenoah 62 with no muffler (maybe but not for long though ) That means all in between are fine.
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Oct 14, 2001, 11:07 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,454 Posts
I own only e-planes but one of my pastors and I have things worked out nicely as he's a glow flier. We go flying together and fly each other's planes. I get to feel the power of his craft and he likes the simplicity in operation of electrics but we OWN one type of power system.
I own electrics for the known reasons but glow is fun too as long as I don't make a habit of it.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood