w4Rd3n is online now Find More Posts by w4Rd3n
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2011, 06:15 PM
Electric powered
Spain, Community of Madrid, Madrid
Joined Sep 2005
879 Posts
A couple of interesting news.

SeeedStudio now offers a suitable EVA case for easy transport and protection of your RF Explorer unit. See it here.

And even more interestingly, SeeedStudio will be at Maker Faire this weekend in the Bay Area. More info at http://makerfaire.com/bayarea/2011/

If you are around, don't lose this opportunity to play first hand with RF Explorer, ask questions, etc. To make it more attractive, we will give away two RF Explorer units (433Mhz and 915Mhz). Conditions and more info, at the SeeedStudio booth.

Cheers
arocholl is offline Find More Posts by arocholl
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arocholl; May 20, 2011 at 04:45 AM.
Old Jun 07, 2011, 06:48 PM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
879 Posts
Hi all,

The new Beta 02 for upcoming v1.06 release is available in the download site.

It has an interesting list of new features, as well as some internal changes to make room for the upcoming 2.4Ghz module, among others.

Please see release notes with detailed list of features here. See below a screenshot of the new firmware in action.

I'll be happy to clarify any question.

Cheers
Ariel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:34 PM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
USA, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2007
841 Posts
Any news on the 2.4 ghz addon boards?
BloomingtonFPV is offline Find More Posts by BloomingtonFPV
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:30 AM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
879 Posts
Unfortunately going slower than anticipated. Much slower, I would say.
Engineering samples were validated and tested a few weeks ago. All components were finally in stock and now the last step is what is taking longer than expected: Final production assembly (PCBA).

As you may guess, the problem is quantity & cost. We are initially producing a small 50 units batch; but we want these modules to be affordable. The only way to achieve that is to wait the PCBA conveyor belt for a gap between the big guys. As I am learning, this is not easy to predict for small batches. I hope we are just days behind PCBA done and beta modules available for you, but feel sorry to be unable to guarantee a date yet.

I will certainly keep you posted.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:04 AM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves View Post
Hello all,

Ariel,
I just receive the RFExplorer unit, it is working good.

But I would like to sweep a spectrum between 433MHz and 444MHz.

Is it possible to change the firmware to allow for this?

Or even increase to 430-450MHz ??

Still, a nice unit to have in our hobby shop
Hi Jalves,

I have somehow good news for you. Based on a firmware work in progress, the additional memory available in all Expansion Modules (such as the 2.4Ghz module will be available soon) will extend the span range from current 10Mhz to a total of 30Mhz or a bit more, depending on final tuning adjustments. That means any standard ISM RF Explorer unit, whenever expanded with a module will get, in addition to the new band added by the module, an increase in the standard module. In your case, for a 433Mhz model, the total span available will be about 420-450Mhz, which also includes PMR446 and full 70cm HAM radio band for those interested.

I'm waiting final production 2.4Ghz modules for final testing and beta program start.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:17 AM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,641 Posts
Hi Ariel,

This is great news.

Can you predict When the new module(s) will be available?
jalves is offline Find More Posts by jalves
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:03 AM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves View Post
Hi Ariel,

This is great news.

Can you predict When the new module(s) will be available?
I wish I could provide a reliable date. All I can tell is we are very close...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:45 AM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
879 Posts
SeeedStudio has confirmed the modules will be assembled, tested and ready to go by Jul/29th. I hope this date is firm.

There will be beta units available at a reduced price of $35. It will include the module, a 2.4Ghz tuned antenna and the aluminum top cover with the CNC job to allocate the two antennas. Instructions and details of the 2.4Ghz firmware will be available later this week.

Final price after beta phase will be $45.

Thanks for your patience.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:53 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,074 Posts
Great news!
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:40 PM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
USA, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2007
841 Posts
Very excited!
BloomingtonFPV is offline Find More Posts by BloomingtonFPV
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:34 PM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
has anyone detected the difference between operating and non-operating 433mhz spread spectrum UHF control system (dragon link, thomas, whatever) using one of these units?

I'm curious because when I use just a uniden scanner, with a 70cm antenna, I can't pick the difference between long range spread spectrum UHF transmitter on or off, even with the antenna within feet.
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:40 AM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc863 View Post
has anyone detected the difference between operating and non-operating 433mhz spread spectrum UHF control system (dragon link, thomas, whatever) using one of these units?

I'm curious because when I use just a uniden scanner, with a 70cm antenna, I can't pick the difference between long range spread spectrum UHF transmitter on or off, even with the antenna within feet.
I'm not familiar with Uniden scanner, but in general scanners are not capable of detecting spread spectrum digital signals. RF Explorer will detect spread spectrum activity if you select Max calculator mode and set it to 20 or more. Let me know if you need more details.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:06 PM
ysb
use the force..or a quadcopter
quebec
Joined Dec 2010
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc863 View Post

i test it to see the signal quality between a Dragonlink and a chainlink and you can see the difference very well. the signal between the two is very different and the RF explorer show that without problem. and you can see easily when one of this LR unit is ON or not...
ysb is offline Find More Posts by ysb
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:10 PM
ysb
use the force..or a quadcopter
quebec
Joined Dec 2010
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arocholl View Post
SeeedStudio has confirmed the modules will be assembled, tested and ready to go by Jul/29th. I hope this date is firm.

There will be beta units available at a reduced price of $35. It will include the module, a 2.4Ghz tuned antenna and the aluminum top cover with the CNC job to allocate the two antennas. Instructions and details of the 2.4Ghz firmware will be available later this week.

Final price after beta phase will be $45.

Thanks for your patience.
where to buy this beta unit ? i can't find them on seedstudio site
ysb is offline Find More Posts by ysb