HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2011, 07:48 AM
Electric powered
Spain, Community of Madrid, Madrid
Joined Sep 2005
812 Posts
All beta test units were sold already, thanks all for your interest.

Units will be available in Seeed shop as soon as Beta testers have a chance to test and provide feedback, and assuming there is nothing major reported by them we will start selling the remaining stock in early April.

Thanks
arocholl is offline Find More Posts by arocholl
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2011, 05:49 PM
Thou who know not
USA, MI, Mason
Joined Jul 2010
937 Posts
I've received the unit today and did some normal operations. The menu is very simple and the settings are self explanatory. My ADSL modems are the noisiest thing in the house, around -83db 1m away. Took it outside hooked up to a 10 element Yagi and to my surprise my home location is quiet! I'll drag this into work on Monday and do some testing there. I don't see any issues with it, it works quite well IMO.
One thing I did notice though was your link to the USB driver is pointing to the client file instead of the bridge driver. The driver is here if anyone needs it. http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/P...CPDrivers.aspx
Po73 is offline Find More Posts by Po73
Old Mar 19, 2011, 06:13 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Arocholl,

Nifty device! Sorry for the shameless plug, but I just wanted to mention that any EzUHF receiver offers similar functionality when hooked to a PC through USB albeit limited to the 433MHz band. This way around anyone can check on location, or during a FPV plane build, any sources of interference in that band.

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:38 AM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Po73 View Post
I've received the unit today and did some normal operations. The menu is very simple and the settings are self explanatory. My ADSL modems are the noisiest thing in the house, around -83db 1m away. Took it outside hooked up to a 10 element Yagi and to my surprise my home location is quiet! I'll drag this into work on Monday and do some testing there. I don't see any issues with it, it works quite well IMO.
One thing I did notice though was your link to the USB driver is pointing to the client file instead of the bridge driver. The driver is here if anyone needs it. http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/P...CPDrivers.aspx
Excellent, thanks for your comment, I fixed the USB bridge link in the downloads page.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:59 AM
Norge
Joined Feb 2009
437 Posts
Cool! What will the price be like? Would it be possible to release an version for 1.3ghz? could it be used to tune antennas?
Capy-Norway is offline Find More Posts by Capy-Norway
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:38 AM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capy-Norway View Post
Cool! What will the price be like? Would it be possible to release an version for 1.3ghz? could it be used to tune antennas?
For price and units available, please go here.

RF Explorer is an ideal device to tune 50 ohm antennas. For a simple whip antenna, it will help you to adjust length and orientation. Just plug your antenna in and see how dBm reads in the frequency of interest changes as you make changes to your antenna. You obviously want the highest possible dBm read.

As for 1.3Ghz, we don't have immediate plans to cover that range but will consider that later on the year.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arocholl; Mar 16, 2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:12 PM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,072 Posts
I am really digging my rfexplorer. It is perfect for quickly checking if a device or install is lrs friendly.

I am able to see my tlrs frequency hop. It's really cool!

bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:30 AM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
I am really digging my rfexplorer. It is perfect for quickly checking if a device or install is lrs friendly.

I am able to see my tlrs frequency hop. It's really cool!
I'm glad you received your RF Explorer already and were able to do some checks. Keep us posted in your experiments.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:06 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Oct 2005
399 Posts
I received my RF Explorer (433mhz) today and was able to do a quick little test. It is well constructed and operated as advertised. It detected a wireless TimeCode tx I have that operates in the UHF band, it also was able to detect rf noise coming from KX-550 camera. I also tested a RCV922 camera which had considerably less noise coming from it. I think this will be a great little tool for checking interference at unfamilar flying sites and the ability to check components for rf noise and antenae tuning is a big bonus. The addition of a 2.4ghz module will allow me to check for interference on my video band as well. Please let us know when the 2.4ghz is ready for beta and sign me up for one. Thanks for the great product.

I have an EzUHF so I will use its spectrum analyser for a comparison with the RF Explore and let you know if I find any differences.

Mark
Blue Collar is offline Find More Posts by Blue Collar
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:28 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Oct 2005
399 Posts
I just checked my GoPro for rf noise and got basically the same results as Bracky's pix shows.

Mark
Blue Collar is offline Find More Posts by Blue Collar
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:43 PM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar View Post
I received my RF Explorer (433mhz) today and was able to do a quick little test. It is well constructed and operated as advertised. It detected a wireless TimeCode tx I have that operates in the UHF band, it also was able to detect rf noise coming from KX-550 camera. I also tested a RCV922 camera which had considerably less noise coming from it. I think this will be a great little tool for checking interference at unfamilar flying sites and the ability to check components for rf noise and antenae tuning is a big bonus. The addition of a 2.4ghz module will allow me to check for interference on my video band as well. Please let us know when the 2.4ghz is ready for beta and sign me up for one. Thanks for the great product.

I have an EzUHF so I will use its spectrum analyser for a comparison with the RF Explore and let you know if I find any differences.

Mark
Hi Mark, thanks for your feedback. I will certainly contact you for 2.4G module beta testing in a few weeks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:19 PM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,072 Posts
I would also love to be included in a 2.4G beta.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 06:12 AM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
I would also love to be included in a 2.4G beta.
Sure, will contact you. Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:34 PM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
USA, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2007
831 Posts
I don't have a module (missed out on the beta) but I'm interested in a 433 mhz device and the 2.4ghz add-on. Just helping you gauge interest. I'll buy when they become available.
BloomingtonFPV is offline Find More Posts by BloomingtonFPV
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:41 PM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,072 Posts
I am impressed with how well it works for the price paid. A very good piece of gear.