HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2011, 06:36 PM
Electric powered
Spain, Community of Madrid, Madrid
Joined Sep 2005
877 Posts
New Product
RF Explorer Spectrum Analyzer - Now 6GHz supported!

[Latest news] : RF Explorer can work now with your 5.8GHz devices - there is a $35 discount offer for pre-order till January 20th - for more details visit news page here.

I've been using ISM bands (such as 433Mhz and 868Mhz) for a long time, and found really difficult to understand how is band occupancy and interference playing a role in the field in these bands. Particularly 433Mhz is a noisy band in Europe and sometimes interferences are there and you don't know why...

There is not much you can do to understand what is happening without a Spectrum Analyzer, but buying one is prohibitively expensive, and typically bulky and fragile, including the portable models.

So I worked over a few prototypes for more than a year, and together with Seeed technology came up with a design that should fit everyone's needs in the field. Or so I hope, I am very open to learn and understand feature extensions requested by experienced pilots. Take a look on RF Explorer Handheld Spectrum Analyzer features here and let me know your thoughts.

IMPORTANT: Care handling on your RF Explorer, read here.

Detailed, comprehensive list of PC software available for RF Explorer here.

Introducing RF Explorer - Handheld Spectrum Analyzer (4 min 59 sec)

Check video at 2'20":

For details about available RF Explorer models, check here.

We do our best to keep units in stock at all times. In case some model gets out of stock, please check with our distributors to learn on when they will become available again.

You can get RF Explorer online at Seeed studio shop starting at $99 (including worldwide shipping!).

Full list of worldwide available distributors available here.

I sincerely thank all Beta and early adopter users who made this project possible. Every order helps to support further development.

Regards
arocholl is offline Find More Posts by arocholl
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arocholl; Dec 11, 2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Distributors
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:26 PM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
USA, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2007
840 Posts
Look amazing. How far away is 2.4 ghz support?

(you knew this was coming- some guy releases an amazing product and all people can do it is ask when the next version is going to come out. sorry about that)

-Tom
BloomingtonFPV is offline Find More Posts by BloomingtonFPV
Last edited by BloomingtonFPV; Apr 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:33 PM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomingtonFPV View Post
Look amazing. How far away is 2.4 ghz support?

(you knew this was coming- some guy releases an amazing product and all people can do it is ask when the next version is going to come out. sorry about that)

-Tom
No, that is actually ok, and I understand interest in 2.4Ghz. I will be opening 2.4Ghz beta call for expansion module in a couple of months or so... but couldn't promise a specific date yet.

I will be anouncing this here when 2.4 Ghz beta becomes available.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2011, 03:34 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arocholl View Post
.... Particularly 433Mhz is a noisy band in Europe and sometimes interferences are there and you don't know why...
Every car remote works on 433MHz, that's why...
Also, police and taxi communication is on 433, at least in my country.
A relative work in the frequencies control and monitoring dept in my city, and when I told her I want to use 433 500mW for RC, she start to laugh. Then she told me they will find me in less than half hour, 433MHz being the most monitorised frequency, to detect ilegal transmissions, and everything over 50mW needs license. Then she show me on a radar style screen the main 3 taxi companies in our city that has 50mW licenses, they are like small stars. I thought a 500mW starting to transmit should look like an atomic bomb on that screen
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:32 AM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Every car remote works on 433MHz, that's why...
Also, police and taxi communication is on 433, at least in my country.
A relative work in the frequencies control and monitoring dept in my city, and when I told her I want to use 433 500mW for RC, she start to laugh. Then she told me they will find me in less than half hour, 433MHz being the most monitorised frequency, to detect ilegal transmissions, and everything over 50mW needs license. Then she show me on a radar style screen the main 3 taxi companies in our city that has 50mW licenses, they are like small stars. I thought a 500mW starting to transmit should look like an atomic bomb on that screen
Yes, pretty much every small gadget sold in Europe uses 433Mhz for wireless control. This includes car wireless key, garage door openers, weather stations with remote features, remote door bell, etc. It is so popular for RF remote control that all police vehicles and official buildings incorporate frequency jammers for this frequency at very high power.

However, it is interesting to know voice communication is allowed in your country in that band. Most countries in Europe won't let you use that for sound broadcast, they rather enabled the 446Mhz band (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMR446) for PMR and it is typically used for that purpose.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arocholl; Mar 08, 2011 at 05:53 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:55 AM
Back in Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2003
966 Posts
How does the Dragon Link long range Tx get away with operating on 433?
hornant is offline Find More Posts by hornant
Old Mar 08, 2011, 07:26 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,074 Posts
It is spread spectrum so it's average power on a specific frequency is quite small.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:28 PM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
It is spread spectrum so it's average power on a specific frequency is quite small.
That is correct. DSS techniques help on reducing interference impact, at least when they are temporary and not taking a large span. However, most frequency jammers are designed to block a large span permanently and will kill any signal in the band.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arocholl; Mar 08, 2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:42 PM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,074 Posts
I purchased one of your devices to play with. It looks very interesting.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:50 PM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
I purchased one of your devices to play with. It looks very interesting.
Great, thanks! let me know your impressions once you start playing with it. I'm really interested in feedback.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:59 PM
It's pronounced Caveman...
Reno, NV
Joined Nov 2009
437 Posts
The 2.4Ghz device would be handy for IT consulting/WiFi deployment as well. I'm sure it'll be a more marketable device based on that alone.

Is it not possible to have it work over multiple frequencies? Could you either
A. Make it module based, to change frequencies.
B. Make a slightly larger unit to encapsulate multiple modules.

I realize you'd have to change antenna's between frequencies, but this wouldn't be a problem for most people. As the previous poster said, I'm sorry for wanting to change your product when it's not even completed yet, I'm aware how much custom cases can cost for such a device.
c4v3man is offline Find More Posts by c4v3man
Old Mar 08, 2011, 05:08 PM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4v3man View Post
The 2.4Ghz device would be handy for IT consulting/WiFi deployment as well. I'm sure it'll be a more marketable device based on that alone.

Is it not possible to have it work over multiple frequencies? Could you either
A. Make it module based, to change frequencies.
B. Make a slightly larger unit to encapsulate multiple modules.

I realize you'd have to change antenna's between frequencies, but this wouldn't be a problem for most people. As the previous poster said, I'm sorry for wanting to change your product when it's not even completed yet, I'm aware how much custom cases can cost for such a device.
I certainly agree on 2.4Ghz being very marketable, and thus we are working on an expansion module which will fit within the existing unit in an internal expansion module already allocated for that purpose. The 2.4Ghz will exhibit a separated SMA connector and antenna, compatible with commercial 2.4Ghz antennas, cables and amplifiers. It will also expand internal memory for additional functions not available in the baseline unit.

There will be no need to get a second unit for that, just expand your current RF Explorer. All current and future RF Explorer units will be compatible with that: just take apart a few screws, the back cover, plug the new module and the new band is in place.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arocholl; Mar 16, 2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 05:58 PM
SW England
Joined Aug 2009
800 Posts
Interesting product.

For cheap 2.4GHz wif frequency monitoring try the free software inssider on a netbook with wifi module and attach a Yagi to 'listen' in a direction of your choice

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Nigel.
Devonboy is offline Find More Posts by Devonboy
Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:11 PM
Thou who know not
USA, MI, Mason
Joined Jul 2010
936 Posts
Thank you Arocholl, I have purchased one of your beta units. This should prove to be a very good tool and with the SMA connector, I can also use a directional antenna to either locate the signal or make sure that I don't inadvertently fly toward the interference. I can't wait to give this a try and give you some feedback!
Po73 is offline Find More Posts by Po73
Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:19 PM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Po73 View Post
Thank you Arocholl, I have purchased one of your beta units. This should prove to be a very good tool and with the SMA connector, I can also use a directional antenna to either locate the signal or make sure that I don't inadvertently fly toward the interference. I can't wait to give this a try and give you some feedback!
Excellent, thank you. I am looking forward to see your experiments. Keep us posted!
RCG Plus Member