HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:10 PM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Careful!
The Phantom Order from Hobby-Lobby

I received a battery today from Hobby-Lobby. One of those little ones used on Vapors and such. Exactly like this. Its a nice little battery, being a TP, and if fits both my Vapor and my little Heli. It also fits the Night Vapor I got for my BIL for xmas.

The only problem is, I didn't order it.

It's not a back order, in fact there is no record of this order when I go to the Hobby-Lobby site and look up my order history. Yet they charged my card, and shipped it out.

So I called Hobby-Lobby this morning, and talked to someone (I think his name was Chris). He sounded very non-plussed about it. He asked if I wanted to return the battery, and I got the impression they would have been happy to refund my card. Still, when I asked if this was common he said it was rare, but it does happen on occasion.

Mind you, the battery is useful as I did recently loose one of these, so I will be keeping it (I mean I did PAY for it), but still I have some pretty big security issues when it comes to a company having glitches like this. I guess I would appreciate it if they took a bit more care with my information (credit cards numbers and such) on their servers.

Anyone else have a phantom order?
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:19 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
No!----- but just wait until they charge your card a few hundred dollars or more for something you didn't order and didn't get.

To me, their should be a law that they can't keep your CC# indefinetly
jumpinjo is offline Find More Posts by jumpinjo
Old Mar 07, 2011, 02:37 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,738 Posts
Maybe it was precog order fullfillment - you did need the battery after all.

I have not dealt with HL since they changed ownership and started focusing on foam Chinese RTFs
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Mar 07, 2011, 03:29 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
687 Posts
Nope, never any issues like that, especially with HL, they've always been top notch. I would be in touch with the bank though, if I were you.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Mar 07, 2011, 03:34 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolladay View Post
I received a battery today from Hobby-Lobby. One of those little ones used on Vapors and such. Exactly like this. Its a nice little battery, being a TP, and if fits both my Vapor and my little Heli. It also fits the Night Vapor I got for my BIL for xmas.

The only problem is, I didn't order it.

It's not a back order, in fact there is no record of this order when I go to the Hobby-Lobby site and look up my order history. Yet they charged my card, and shipped it out.

So I called Hobby-Lobby this morning, and talked to someone (I think his name was Chris). He sounded very non-plussed about it. He asked if I wanted to return the battery, and I got the impression they would have been happy to refund my card. Still, when I asked if this was common he said it was rare, but it does happen on occasion.

Mind you, the battery is useful as I did recently loose one of these, so I will be keeping it (I mean I did PAY for it), but still I have some pretty big security issues when it comes to a company having glitches like this. I guess I would appreciate it if they took a bit more care with my information (credit cards numbers and such) on their servers.

Anyone else have a phantom order?
As PeterP used to say, it was "the invisible hand".
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Mar 07, 2011, 03:34 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
That's really bizarre! Kind of cool, too. I guess it all works out. Sometimes, you just get lucky.
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Mar 07, 2011, 03:40 PM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b-E View Post
Nope, never any issues like that, especially with HL, they've always been top notch. I would be in touch with the bank though, if I were you.
Why? Do you think I should ask them not to process any orders without first verifying with me? That's not a bad idea, it just sounds like to would slow down other purchases.

Like you, I never had any issues with HL prior to this, and have always found their service to be excellent.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 03:43 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
687 Posts
I don't know that I'd go that far, but I'd certainly let them know what happened and let them investigate. If there's a SNAFU in the system, and apparently there is, they should get it fixed.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Mar 07, 2011, 03:51 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Did you ever even look at or place this item in your cart at any point in the past ?

It just seems too remote to think that out of all the part #s - this would happen with a "desirable" item.

I really think they should have canceled the charge and offered you to keep the item. It is a serious breach of trust and they should be quick to make amends. IMO
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Mar 07, 2011, 04:20 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
I would double check my CC statements for any other surprises and also run a credit report, just to be silly.
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Mar 07, 2011, 04:21 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
Tolladay, do you have any other signs of Alzhimers? Do you frequently find yourself in strange places, not knowing how you got there ? Have you ever awoke in the wrong house or bed ? Have you ever had to be shown videos of yourself dancing on tables to explain unussual bruises ?
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Mar 07, 2011, 04:29 PM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b-E View Post
I don't know that I'd go that far, but I'd certainly let them know what happened and let them investigate. If there's a SNAFU in the system, and apparently there is, they should get it fixed.
I did inform them. They're response could correctly be called polite disinterest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix2 View Post
Did you ever even look at or place this item in your cart at any point in the past ?

It just seems too remote to think that out of all the part #s - this would happen with a "desirable" item.

I really think they should have canceled the charge and offered you to keep the item. It is a serious breach of trust and they should be quick to make amends. IMO
Good catch. It was an item I ordered back in December. I think I ordered one of these batteries when I ordered my BIL's plane, but let me check.

<insert sound of rummaging around in back of the computer>

I went back and looked at the order and here's the funny thing. I ordered a single night vapor, and a single battery. Both arrived in the package, but it looks like I was not charged for the battery. Huh?

Here's a portion of their email response:

Item Description:CYBERMONDAY10 (EXPIR
Item Number:WEBPROMO
Qty Shipped:1
Price Each: $.00

Item Description:Night Vapor RTF Micro RC Plane
Item Number:PKZU1100
Qty Shipped:1
Price Each: $129.99

Item Description:G4 Pro Lite 25C 160mAH 1S 3.7V Lipo
Item Number:THP1601SL25UM
Qty Shipped:0
Price Each: $12.99

You may use the following numbers to track your shipment:
Tracking Number:
redacted
Sub Total : $129.99
Tax : $.00
Freight : $.00
Grand Total : $129.99

Now I'm even more confused.

I went and looked at our credit card purchases, and it appears we got charged for the plane, but not the battery. I don't know what the value of the cyber Monday promotion was, but I think it was about 10% if memory serves (which happens to be the exact cost of the battery), so I guess maybe I did pay for that first battery.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 04:32 PM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot View Post
Tolladay, do you have any other signs of Alzhimers? Do you frequently find yourself in strange places, not knowing how you got there ? Have you ever awoke in the wrong house or bed ? Have you ever had to be shown videos of yourself dancing on tables to explain unussual bruises ?
Do you mean like suddenly finding myself in only my underwear, on a buss in the middle of the day? Like that?

All my bruises are the usual kind.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 04:34 PM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira View Post
I would double check my CC statements for any other surprises and also run a credit report, just to be silly.
Do you think their site has been hacked, or were you guessing someone got a hold of my CC info, and were attempting to see if I was paying attention?

The wife goes online checks our credit cards daily. Nothing happens without her knowing.
Last edited by tolladay; Mar 07, 2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 06:18 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,034 Posts
It shows that the battery you ordered was not sent, possibly due to an "out of stock" condition. Where in the package was the battery you received?
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme