HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:02 PM
Joined Aug 2010
341 Posts
Discussion
Installing an electric motor in place of a gas engine

I have this kit that I'd like to convert to electric. I've noticed that my electric planes that the motors are all angled down and to the right of the thrust line. The kit has the firewall flat making the gas engine thrust straight. Can I mount the motor on the firewall? Should I angle it? How much of a difference will it make?

Thanks
tenspeed is offline Find More Posts by tenspeed
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:33 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
What kind of plane?
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Mar 07, 2011, 02:16 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,744 Posts
I've always mounted my electric motors at the same angle as the glow engines they've replaced. Usually this is a bit of right side and down thrust. So, if your firewall is at right angles to the model's centreline, and the instructions don't tell you to put any shims behind the engine mount, then I would mount the electric motor straight.

The good thing is you're probably going to have to space your motor off the firewall anyway, so it will be quite easy to pack one side out a bit if you find you need some side thrust after you've test-flown the model.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Mar 07, 2011, 02:52 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,869 Posts
I would have written exactly what abenn wrote...
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Mar 07, 2011, 04:39 PM
Joined Aug 2010
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
What kind of plane?
Great Planes Trainer 40
Old Mar 07, 2011, 04:42 PM
Joined Aug 2010
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
I've always mounted my electric motors at the same angle as the glow engines they've replaced. Usually this is a bit of right side and down thrust. So, if your firewall is at right angles to the model's centreline, and the instructions don't tell you to put any shims behind the engine mount, then I would mount the electric motor straight.

The good thing is you're probably going to have to space your motor off the firewall anyway, so it will be quite easy to pack one side out a bit if you find you need some side thrust after you've test-flown the model.
The firewall isn't angled. I'll have to add spacers to get the prop to clear the cowling. So angling it won't be a problem. Just know how much will be the only issue.

Thanks
Old Mar 08, 2011, 02:32 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
The firewall isn't angled. I'll have to add spacers to get the prop to clear the cowling. So angling it won't be a problem. Just know how much will be the only issue. ...
If there's no data available from the instructions or this forum, then trial-and-error is the only way.

I don't think that wrong angle has ever been the direct cause of a crash -- it just gives the plane some undesirable characteristics: If you're cruising in level flight and you quickly open the throttle and the nose lifts, then you probably need to dial in a bit of downthrust. Alternatively, you back off the throttle and the nose drops before the speed does, also means you could do with a bit of downthrust. Ideally you shouldn't feed the need to adjust the elevator trim every time you change the throttle setting.

I'm not so certain about right thrust, except that first indication that you need it is often when the plane swings left during your takeoff run. After you've checked that nosewheel (if it has one) and rudder are straight, then next port of call is some right thrust.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Mar 08, 2011, 07:32 PM
Joined Aug 2010
341 Posts
Thanks for all the help. Was very informative.