SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:28 AM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Discussion
how to boost servo signal through long wire?

Does anyone know if there is something that I can use to boost a servo signal from the receiver through a large amount of wire (maybe 50ft or more)?

I haven't tried it yet but I'm pretty sure the servo signal is going to be pretty weak.
firefly_joe is offline Find More Posts by firefly_joe
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:39 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,763 Posts
No need (I think). There are two components here: the 5-6v power circuit, and the PWM signal (white wire on most servos). The signal line only involves tiny current flow, so there won't be much in the way of voltage drop on that line... and the servo doesn't respond to a voltage signal anyway, but to the pulse widths.
If you do have an issue here, try some heavier gage wire.

For power, you might want a local power source... a 4.8 - 6v batterywired into the red/black leads. Keep a common ground wire back to the source, and delete the +5v red wire in the long run, you'll be fine.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:58 AM
Growing up is overrated
Bellevue, WA, USA
Joined Nov 2009
317 Posts
Firefly joe
I have to ask, what are you building that will have a 50’ wire from the receiver to the servo? That is going to be one “really big model”.
Mike
MikeC47 is offline Find More Posts by MikeC47
Old Mar 07, 2011, 12:00 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
sounds promising! I am more than likely going to to have a battery pack at the other end of the line, so you are saying if I connect the servo's +/- to the secondary pack and then the signal wire only connects to the receiver I should be good?
Old Mar 07, 2011, 12:08 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
@Mike, I'd like to be able to drop a mini sub off my barge, long term plans but just thinking ahead now
Old Mar 07, 2011, 12:34 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly_joe View Post
sounds promising! I am more than likely going to to have a battery pack at the other end of the line, so you are saying if I connect the servo's +/- to the secondary pack and then the signal wire only connects to the receiver I should be good?
And a common ground wire, the signal needs a reference. So, black and white wires on the long run, black and red wires to the local battery.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:09 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
awesome thanks!
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:05 PM
United States, VT, Pittsford
Joined Feb 2011
131 Posts
50 feet

I would test the project before assuming it will work. The capacitance of the parallel signal and ground wire is considerable and with the associated inductance the system becomes a transmission line exercise. The clean square wave pulses from the RX will probably become "rounded" with extended rise and fall times. The device on the far end may still respond correctly - but I would definitely test the system first!

John WA3ETD
WA3ETD is offline Find More Posts by WA3ETD
Old Mar 08, 2011, 01:57 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly_joe View Post
@Mike, I'd like to be able to drop a mini sub off my barge, long term plans but just thinking ahead now
How big of a mini sub will this be? 50' of servo wire will be pretty draggy through the water.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Last edited by Aerominded; Mar 08, 2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 02:02 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,733 Posts
If your going to have the battery in the sub, better off having the RX in there as well, and just transmit the RF town a thin Coax from the Tx, I have a drawing posted in the ROV forum with a simple circuit to allow video signal up the same coax

I will watch this space

Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au