HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:43 AM
I'm flying ! (run for cover)
Greece, South Aegean, Thira
Joined Nov 2004
727 Posts
Discussion
100 - 150 Watt sport flying brushless ? (not slow fly)

Hello all,

Could please someone post some examples of motor/prop combination that is in the range of 120 Watts but "sport" flying category (I mean not slowfly, but faster, e.g. for a Cessna, or a warbird, etc).

What prop should go with it ? Is a gearbox essential or can we avoid it ?

Thanks it is greatly appreciated,
Dimitris
dtrip is offline Find More Posts by dtrip
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:58 AM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,616 Posts
I bought the following for a small 3-ch trainer, which is surprisingly fast:
BM2410-9T - 840kv 13A max, running on a 3S battery with an 8x7 prop. With that, it pulls about 120W in static test. With that small a power requirement, a gearbox shouldn't be necessary.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:13 AM
Joined Nov 2004
727 Posts
Wow Im impressed !
The motor is designed as slow-fly, at least these are the prop it suggests here:
http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...ducts_id=10002

...but you have made it a sport flyer just by reducing the prop diameter and increasing pitch... !! Thats really good news !

Is it generally Ok to do that, I mean put a smaller but higher pitch propeller, on a motor which recommends a slow-fly one ? Is it common practice ?
Old Mar 07, 2011, 12:44 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,778 Posts
What is 'recommended' regarding props, motors, number of cells etc, is just that, a recommendation.

There is not reason why you shouldn't run a motor that recommend 3s Lipo and a certain prop size, on a 2s Lipo and a bigger prop, or even stick with the 3s and try various props.

For approximately the same current drawn, you can use a large diameter, low pitch prop for best thrust, good acceleration but a lower speed. Alternately, a smaller diameter with a coarser pitch prop for much higher speed but possibly poorer acceleration.

The defining factor is to not exceed the recommended current drawn by the motor and ESC.

An example is one of my 'warbirds' that didn't require a fast flight to keep it scale like. I used a low kv motor rated as normally 4s to 6s, but on 3s and with quite a big prop, (a 17" x 8" prop), to give me loads of thrust, (diameter), to haul itself into the sky, but at a low enough rpm to keep the speed down. Plus it's running on about a quarter of it's amps/watts maximum rating.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 07, 2011, 02:02 PM
Joined Nov 2004
727 Posts
Got it. That's great news as well.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 02:06 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
I love these for general parkflying. I run it (with good cooling) up to 200W with a 9050 prop.
Never had one fail and you can crash it without bending a shaft.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4908
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Mar 07, 2011, 03:21 PM
Joined Nov 2004
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
I love these for general parkflying. I run it (with good cooling) up to 200W with a 9050 prop.
Never had one fail and you can crash it without bending a shaft.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4908

I like the term "general parkflying"
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:30 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,371 Posts
I really like the orange Suppo 2208-12 for sport/parkflying, but I'm not finding any from online dealers in the 12-turn, 1800Kv wind. I get mine at my hobby shop. All the Suppo motors I've had have been great, actually (and no, they're not paying me to say that. I just like the motors ). Never burned one out even though I often go way over what they're rated for.

The 2208-12 is great with an APC 6x5.5 on 3S for faster parkflyers (60mph or so), and though I haven't tried it I'd guess 2S and something like an 8x5 would be a good match and you might be able to a fair bit bigger.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:49 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,616 Posts
Just so you know, the trainer I put that motor in has a 41" wingspan, and weighs just 23oz with a 1000mah 3S battery. It couldn't do 3D on that combo, but it is a snappy flier.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Mar 08, 2011, 07:24 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrip View Post
I like the term "general parkflying"
Remember, it takes time and experience to move up through the ranks to make 'General', there's still a lot of 'Privates' flying out there
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray