HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2011, 11:31 PM
Cox Engine Hoarder
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Jun 2004
571 Posts
Discussion
Swap meet find

Remember to always dig deep in those everything for a $1 bins at the swap meets. You never know what you might find.

Jason
Jason_WI is offline Find More Posts by Jason_WI
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:29 PM
North of the Golden Gate
Joined Sep 2004
256 Posts
I think your find is a rare example from the Leisure Dynamics era.

Keep it under lock and key!
silvaire is offline Find More Posts by silvaire
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:57 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,835 Posts
Congrats. it is fun to have a little good fortune from time to time.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:05 PM
Cox Engine Hoarder
Joined Jun 2004
571 Posts
I think It's an early QRC since it has the brass prop driver.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:30 PM
North of the Golden Gate
Joined Sep 2004
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_WI View Post
I think It's an early QRC since it has the brass prop driver.
The brass drive plate is why I pegged it as being a Leisure Dynamics era engine. (I happen to have an NIB Babe Bee with a brass drive plate in a Leisure Dynamics box.)

I don't see anything about it that suggests that your find was originally a QRC though. I have a QRC in a "jewel box" and one in a Corona CA cardboard box (that would pre and post Leisure Dynamics era). Both have red tanks and blue spinners and a muffler. Neither of them have a brass drive plate.
Last edited by silvaire; Mar 07, 2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 01:13 AM
Cox Engine Hoarder
Joined Jun 2004
571 Posts
The non anodized stunt tank is what threw me off until I dug through my parts bin. I found a PN 1992 tank kit NIP that was a non anodized stunt tank that was made to upgrade a product engine into a tanked Bee engine. I have a QRC with the red tank and what looks like a QRC but with a non anodized tank with the QRC muffler. Someone must have upgraded an engine with the 1992 kit back in the day and this is what I found.

Here is a picture that shows a QRC, QRC look alike, the upgrade kit, and the engine I got for a buck.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:26 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,835 Posts
yeah I have a couple of those types of engines too.
I think they were just using up parts at the time, due to the different color fuel tanks on them.
I think the first ones had the red anodizing color, after that it was whatever color they had on hand with the tanks when they built the engines.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Mar 08, 2011, 01:20 PM
North of the Golden Gate
Joined Sep 2004
256 Posts
My knowledge of Cox RTF's is a bit thin, but I think there is a good possibility that your find is a product engine of some sort. I have seen far too many engines with the large plain aluminum finished tank to think that they are all conversions. Unless someone has an NIB Black Widow with a silver tank, I'd bet that what you found is some sort of a product engine.

Regarding the second picture posted by earlwb:
The only "boxed" (i.e. non "product") Cox engine with that sort of muffler that I know of is the QRC. Many product engines had that style of muffler though, and that style of muffler was also sold as an individually carded accessory.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:44 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
896 Posts
My Cox Spitfire came with a Silver Bee, which was a Babe Bee with a Golden Bee-type tank but without the filler tubes in the tank, not anodised gold. It used the usual Babe Bee backplate with the two tubes on the top, either side of the needle valve. Of course, people can and do change the Cox products around as needed for their project. I see it has the twin slit exhaust type cylinder. The Silver Bee came with the usual slot exhaust type cylinder, so right there it's been modified. Nothing to fret about, it should run as any Cox will
Balsabird is online now Find More Posts by Balsabird