HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2011, 07:35 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
213 Posts
Build Log
Design Build Low Wing "Penguin X'

This is my first attempt at designing and building a foam low winger plane. Besides a sketch (which ended up looking like a Penguin when you look at it straight in) rulers, measuring tape, pens, and markers, there were no other attempt at putting the design elements and dimensions on paper before jumping on the foam cutter and going to work.

The design and the build kind of evolves as you go. I am just wondering how it will all end up (short of crashing of course). Here I will share with you mostly in pictures what it is I am attempting to build. I will also share few things I am sure I will learn as the build goes forward.

Updated 3/14/2011: Just added a drawing in attached pictures.

P.I. Aerospace Engineering AKA (My Basement Hangar)
IIIBonesAirForce is offline Find More Posts by IIIBonesAirForce
Last edited by IIIBonesAirForce; Mar 14, 2011 at 05:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2011, 11:32 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,411 Posts
Awaiting pics.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:19 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
213 Posts
Pictures of the build

Here are some of the initial build starting withe wing and for now ending with the "framing the body. I also installed the blocks for the main landing gear and for the nose wheel. The Sullivan servo linkages "Blue" act to strengthen the frame. Please feel free to comment and add your thoughts, questions, and/or suggestions.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:39 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
213 Posts
fuse and other parts.

Here are some more and mock put together. the word "Rin" under the photo in the shower tub should continue to read - Rinse and dry with a rag. Do not take it to the garage and blow dry it with air hose. It will freeze and form water beads all over the foam. The typo "teh" should read "the" sorry could not edit it.
Last edited by IIIBonesAirForce; Mar 09, 2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:54 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
213 Posts
Next I am trying to pretend to be sick and hide in the "hanger" while working on the tail. I am using 1/2 inch blue foam and thinking of hinging the moving parts with packing tape. I need to cut from both sides of the foam at 45 degrees to a central point running the length of the part. I will figure out a way to do it and will share it with you in pictures.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:26 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,411 Posts
Looking good, dude.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:42 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
213 Posts
Thanks much...To make sure everything is centered I will wait to put some skin on the fuse before I cut in the tail groove where the vertical stab would go.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:07 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
213 Posts
covering the fuse

On to covering the fuse. I am using 1/4 inch blue foam. First I rolled it after I cut it slightly larger than the body then glued one end towards the tail. Next I will finish shaping it around the body and glue it in section to match the contours of the frame.

After working on the project for a while and seeing that the fuse contours are more complex than I thought. I know now that I should have cut small parts of the foam cover across the curve of the frame sideways. With so many variations in the shape of the fuse you are better off doing the cover in sections. PEACE ya ll.
Last edited by IIIBonesAirForce; Mar 15, 2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:09 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
213 Posts
NOT TRAIL...Tail...TEE A EYE L
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:24 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
213 Posts
Skin on the fuse

Here are more pictures showing latest progress. After covering the fuse I aligned the center using laser level. This helps in determining where to place the vertical stab and center the flight line for the exact centering of the motor and the prop.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:17 PM
expert noob
Joined Feb 2011
108 Posts
I like your building method, looks strong and light.
handyfella is offline Find More Posts by handyfella
Old Mar 18, 2011, 03:21 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
213 Posts
Thanks HandyFella. Any suggestions welcome. I guess I would have made the ribs a little thinner than I have to conserve on weight. So far I have about 20 Oz. total in the wing and fuse. I am guessing this will be about a 35 Oz. plane when all done. I may still be able to shave off about 3 or 4 oz. before all done.

I appreciate your comment.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 03:22 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
213 Posts
I am going to use exceed power 10 motor and 3s 3300 Mah lipo as well.