SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 06, 2011, 07:24 PM
Joined Mar 2010
79 Posts
Discussion
What heli could fly with gopro?

Hey all, As the title says I am looking to fly a gopro around. I am looking for something not overly expensive, stable and can handle the weight of a gopro to get some cool aerial shots. Any one have any recommendations?
I am more of a plane flyer so my experienced is mcx and I fly the msr but not very well. So i am looking for a beginner heli.
Thanks!
merx is offline Find More Posts by merx
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2011, 10:29 PM
Joined Mar 2010
79 Posts
Only thing that I think will work that ive found is the Walkera lama 400. Seems big enough if it can hold it..
Old Mar 06, 2011, 11:48 PM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Dec 2006
453 Posts
I think you need to explain what gopro is. I know its a video camera but I don't think most people know.
overedline is offline Find More Posts by overedline
Old Mar 07, 2011, 12:27 AM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,367 Posts
I think that most who fly the G0-Pro's put them on RC planes, not heli's.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1140341
TravisBean is offline Find More Posts by TravisBean
Old Mar 07, 2011, 12:38 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,433 Posts
A naked GoPro weighs about 100 grams. With mounting gear, a bit more.
However, that might not be the problem. How good are you at flying a helicopter? A coaxial is probably the most stable and easiest but if you don't have a lot of experience, even these will be hard to hold still and point in the direction you want. A better option would be a quad copter. These things are very stable and can lift a good amount of weight.
A Lama 400 will do it. I've lifted 400 grams with my Lama 3 but it's not a stable platform. If you are a good flyer, strap it onto any decent CP that's 450 or bigger.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:28 AM
Joined Mar 2010
79 Posts
Sorry maybe I should have explained it a bit more. A gropro is a full hd video camera, that weighs in at about 167grams if you have the case on it.

Travis, for the shots im looking to capture a plane wont work although that would certainly be my first choice of what to fly.

Viper, I'm not so good at flying choppers to be honest. I am more of a plane guy. I have only flown micro helicopters and the msr is as far as I've gotten and I am not so good at that. Thats why I was thinking about going coaxial, like you said for the easiest.

I saw the quad copters as well just have no idea about them I will continue looking at them though they do seem the most stable. Can you recommend any yourself?
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:49 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merx View Post
Sorry maybe I should have explained it a bit more. A gropro is a full hd video camera, that weighs in at about 167grams if you have the case on it.

Travis, for the shots im looking to capture a plane wont work although that would certainly be my first choice of what to fly.

Viper, I'm not so good at flying choppers to be honest. I am more of a plane guy. I have only flown micro helicopters and the msr is as far as I've gotten and I am not so good at that. Thats why I was thinking about going coaxial, like you said for the easiest.

I saw the quad copters as well just have no idea about them I will continue looking at them though they do seem the most stable. Can you recommend any yourself?
Given the recent information, I would say that using even a coaxial for an video platform may be quite frustrating. Although a coaxial like the Lama 400 is about as easy as it gets, it will be nothing like an MSR. Once you get into something big enough to lift a couple hundred grams, it will move around a lot for someone with not much helicopter experience. Additionally, if you plan to use it outside, a coaxial is affected by wind tremendously. Anything more than about 3 to 5 mph is going to be a handful. That's where a quad copter may be a better choice.
Look at the Gaui 330X. It has a decent payload and it's very stable and can hold its own is a fair amount of wind. You're looking at around $300.00 for a quad. Also take a look at the Parrot AR Drone. It flies by Iphone or Ipad, has its own camera on board. I just don't know if you can record onto a memory device with it. The Parrot is also very limited in range as it works via WiFi. With it, you can see on the Iphone or Ipad where you're going. You just can't go very far or you'll lose it.
I don't know what your price ceiling is or what your intended purpose is but if it's more into commercial reasons, you need to look at the industrial strength camera platforms. Look at the links below.

Gaui 330X: http://yrbuy.com/
GAUI Quad Flyer 330X (2 min 35 sec)

Parrot AR Drone: http://www.slashgear.com/parrot-ar-d...view-05117721/

Commercial, high end video platform:
http://www.draganfly.com/uav-helicopter/draganflyer-x6/
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:45 PM
Joined Mar 2010
79 Posts
Thanks for the info viper. I had a feeling the wind would be an issue in this especially with the added weight. This is actually for my buddy who does a lot of film work so we will want the best shot possible within a certain budget of course. Looks like the quad copter is the way to go. the 300x isnt to pricey. Thanks for the help man!

The dragonflyer on the other hand, wow amazing!