Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 06, 2011, 05:42 PM
Joined Sep 2010
128 Posts
Discussion
GP Big Stik 60 ARF

Hey everyone,
Just starting building my Big Stik 60, and already having issues. With the wing sitting in the saddle, there is a large gap at the front of the fueslage where the wing butts up to it. The back of the wing is snug against the fuse. Seems something was too long onthe saddle... The wing is not sitting in the saddle either perfectly, there is an 1/8 to 1/4 inch gap in places..I am willing to take bets on how long before the air gets under that and lifts the wing clear off.... Trying to manipulate the wing to fit cures one gap, but then opens another one...

Anyone else have these issues? What was the solutioin? I just finished a GP Super Sportster MKII and it was a garbage fit as well... Great Planes seriously needs some quality control...
ChrisCYWG is offline Find More Posts by ChrisCYWG
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2011, 12:26 PM
USA, MI, Lansing
Joined Aug 2009
243 Posts
Can you post some pics?
Hewey19 is offline Find More Posts by Hewey19
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:41 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,768 Posts
Yes, post some pics.

You should be able to create a nicely sealed wing saddle with the saran wrap and silicone method.

I -had- a GP BS60 until an in-flight failure of the tail removed it from my hangar. I take the blame, as a YS91FZ is just too much for that airframe.
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2011, 09:17 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,266 Posts
Wind will not "get under there and lift the wing clean off." It's just a cosmetic issue. It might whistle and let exhaust residue inside but that's about it. My second hand Big Stick 60 ARF fits together fine. The tail seems weak in this design. I knocked the vertical stab off just moving it around the shop.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Mar 08, 2011, 02:12 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,513 Posts
If the wing fits that badly I would just contact GP and complain. There is no reason you should have to do repair work on an ARF.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:10 PM
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Jan 2006
1,405 Posts
I like mine.

I've had a couple of these and I normally put a strip of thin carbon fiber between the front wing tabs before I glue the wings together. I clamp the two tabs together after applying the epoxy and usually sit with the wing until the epoxy dries.

Your "Tabs" may have separated slightly making it difficult to insert the tab into the fuselage slot "all the way" causing the fit to look funny.

I'll aways have a Stick in the hangar...
Broken Wings is offline Find More Posts by Broken Wings
Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:25 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,734 Posts
I replace the tabs (they're only lite ply) with a 1/4" dowell. Cut the ribs through to the balsa, put in a quarter inch channel and glue in the dowell. Since you've built yours already, use a piece of 1/4 brass tube to drill the ribs out (much more accurate than a drill bit.)
howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:01 AM
Joined Sep 2010
128 Posts
I added some single sided foam tape to the saddle and the gaps between the fuse and underside of the wing are now gone... The gap at the front now is drastically reduced.. now only about 1/16 to less than 1/8 of an inch.. the gap is still there, Im not too worried about this anymore, but would still like to try and get it tighter... I do notice that the tab on the wing is not sliding in all the way to the front though.. the thing is though if it meshed right up to the front, there would now be a gap at the back... Im just going to take it for what its worth... hammer the crap out of it, have some fun with it. When the time comes that its firewood, I'll get another if I like it.
ChrisCYWG is offline Find More Posts by ChrisCYWG
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:40 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller View Post
I -had- a GP BS60 until an in-flight failure of the tail removed it from my hangar. I take the blame, as a YS91FZ is just too much for that airframe.
That seems to be the Achilles heel of all Stiks. A great big rudder and elevator puts a lot strees on the small neck of material that holds the empanage in place. I always beef mine up with added structual pieces. But time seems to get them anyway. I have even added thin plywood to the outside and recovered. Slight bump but a lot stronger.

Cheers,

Chip
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:18 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,655 Posts
I used to use some angle stock balsa to reinforce the stab on my Ugly Sticks.

I do not remember any of the ugly stick style planes having a wing that fit perfectly on the fuselage. they all had gaps and voids. I never worried about it. I would just fly the heck out of them until they crashed or wore out.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2011, 05:57 PM
Joined Apr 2007
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller View Post
Yes, post some pics.

You should be able to create a nicely sealed wing saddle with the saran wrap and silicone method.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time.
Squeekeron is offline Find More Posts by Squeekeron