SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 06, 2011, 02:01 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Aug 2008
130 Posts
Discussion
Newbie to Chargers - Dynamite Passport Ultra

Having used strictly the beginner wall chargers for my TX/RX batteries previously, I've picked up my first big-boy battery charger - a Dynamite Passport Ultra.

As mentioned elsewhere, the enclosed instructions weren't as helpful as I had hoped.

Am hoping to learn as I go, but am overwhelmed by the amount of threads here.

Are there any threads, discussions, or videos that people would recommend so I can learn how/and what rates to charge and discharge batteries at? Or other things to consider?

I'd like to start off slow, with discharge/charge rates, then starting with my TX/RX Ni-MH batteries first, then work my way into Lipos.

- 1500mAh 9.6V TX battery
- 1500mAh 4.8V RS battery
- 110-150mAh 1C/1S 3.7V Lipo
AKPilot is offline Find More Posts by AKPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2011, 06:28 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,808 Posts
1500mah Charging Rates
Slow charge = .2A 9-11 Hours
1hr. charge = 1.5A
Quick charge = 3.0A

TX & RX consider slow charging. Rx you could use 1 hr. Of course lipo you should follow the lipo recommendation and most of the time thats going to be 1C or one time the capacity and so to charge your 150mah or .15A lipo select .150 or closest setting. Alot of time you will find that people charge higher then 1C and when properly balanced and using proper charger this is also fine.

In the case of 1 cell lipo you do not need to balance. Also if you check the stock charger for that 1s lipo you may find that the stock charger was already charging at a higher charge rate and you can do so with yours.

I charge most if not all of my lipo at 2C atleast.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:22 AM
Retired CFI Helicopter
Southeast PA
Joined Jun 2007
1,609 Posts
http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos is a GREAT source of information.

Bob
http://rcsales.shutterfly.com
Hughes500Bob is offline Find More Posts by Hughes500Bob
Old Mar 07, 2011, 02:42 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Aug 2008
130 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions on this?

Does anyone really use their charger for 1 cell lipos?

I see the port for it, but at charging at .150 on a charger it would take about a minute or so.

Any advantages over using the standard, included charger?

Yup, I know this is a newbie question.
AKPilot is offline Find More Posts by AKPilot
Old Mar 07, 2011, 02:50 PM
Retired CFI Helicopter
Southeast PA
Joined Jun 2007
1,609 Posts
"Does anyone really use their charger for 1 cell lipos?"
YES! We charge several in parallel .... add up the mAhs and charge as a bigger 1S pack.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...el+charging+1s
Hughes500Bob is offline Find More Posts by Hughes500Bob
Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:24 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Hi
I have the Passport and the Passport Ultra. I think it is a good charger, scroll wheels are a bit annoying, I have used mine for 1 season and it works well. Make sure you double check all settings before hitting start. The feature I wish it had was a storage charge setting. LiPos are best stored at 50% charge. If you store a LiPo at full charge or low charge they will tend to wear themselves out over time. Also dont ever bring the LiPo below 3v per cell. LiPos are great but can be dangerous if these strict procedures are not followed.
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)