SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:54 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,682 Posts
Nice looking setup.

One thing you can try as you experiment is to change the intermediate plate to something heavier like brass or steel. I believe it may reduce your vibrations even more but you may already have it solved.
pug398 is online now Find More Posts by pug398
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:59 PM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
Shawn how big is a GoPro? Will it cover a 2" x 3" rectangular plate?
It's friggin' way tinier than what I expected. I was down right shocked when I opened the package. It's about 1.125" x 2.25", check their site for exact dimensions. Just realized I used 1" aluminum not 3/4", need to edit that post.

Shawn
Mactadpole is offline Find More Posts by Mactadpole
Old Mar 08, 2011, 09:11 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,682 Posts
Wow thats definitely small and light weight. I see now why its a little harder to stabilize it than my digital cam that shoots in a whopping 640x480. Since you are well on your way with the GoPro have you heard of any other lens source?
pug398 is online now Find More Posts by pug398
Old Mar 08, 2011, 09:15 PM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
Wow thats definitely small and light weight. I see now why its a little harder to stabilize it than my digital cam that shoots in a whopping 640x480. Since you are well on your way with the GoPro have you heard of any other lens source?
Check out this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1375480

I have one of the Sunex lenses but haven't got around to doing the mod yet.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 12:15 PM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,213 Posts
Shawn the videos you shot was as close to perfect as you get they looked great. I have the Sunex lens and it is great I think its sharp as original only problem with narrow field of view it amplfies the vibrations only down side I have found its nice to see a flat horizon rather than fisheye look. Keep out the good work and great info as well. It helps all of us.
One more thing adding weight to GoPro is a must to way to light for most all regular camera mount systems and damping you have to go outside the box like you did to solve problems.

Michael64
Michael64 is online now Find More Posts by Michael64
Old Mar 09, 2011, 12:58 PM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
672 Posts
First video from yesterday up on vimeo.I don't know how to copy&paste from my phone.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 01:05 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Aug 2010
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactadpole View Post
First video from yesterday up on vimeo.I don't know how to copy&paste from my phone.

Here you go:

HoverflyPro hexacopter @ Rio Vista Park - GoPro 720p 60fps (6 min 11 sec)
rallymatt is offline Find More Posts by rallymatt
Old Mar 09, 2011, 01:26 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
Shawn to get this amount of smoothness out of a light little gopro is excellent. Im betting a heavier higher quality camera will give you fantastic results. Keep putting these videos online, appreciated.

On a sidenote I think George has now had enough time wallowing in the glory of his latest firmware release and now needs to get on with doing an update of the firmware that can help with your 4 month old baby.....
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Mar 09, 2011, 03:46 PM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,213 Posts
Shawn how high were you in the last video and did you use Alt hold and auto level if you when during the flight was it used. You are getting really nice videos out of that hexa all the trails and pains have payed in a very great way.

Michael64
Michael64 is online now Find More Posts by Michael64
Old Mar 09, 2011, 11:08 PM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymatt View Post
Thank you!
Old Mar 09, 2011, 11:10 PM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Shawn to get this amount of smoothness out of a light little gopro is excellent. Im betting a heavier higher quality camera will give you fantastic results. Keep putting these videos online, appreciated.

On a sidenote I think George has now had enough time wallowing in the glory of his latest firmware release and now needs to get on with doing an update of the firmware that can help with your 4 month old baby.....
Thanks and your welcome.

My baby boy is awesome! No updated needed He has been sleeping 6-8hrs a night since week 3!

Shawn
Old Mar 09, 2011, 11:12 PM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael64 View Post
Shawn how high were you in the last video and did you use Alt hold and auto level if you when during the flight was it used. You are getting really nice videos out of that hexa all the trails and pains have payed in a very great way.

Michael64
No idea. I did use AH a few times, it works great for me. I still haven't gotten around to getting AL dialed in so don't use it yet.

Thanks, Shawn
Old Mar 10, 2011, 09:15 AM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,073 Posts
Very nice Shawn - I can not believe that autolevel wasn't engauged - Mine is never that stabel with AL turned off - Nice job - This explains whey the wind wasnt affecting the hexa - I think with AL turned on you would have had more movement due to wind - I hope to have my hexa up today

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:52 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
ok I know its not a hoverfly board yet but I have finally got my first quad built and flying. What a buzz. So while george and the gang build some new boards I will keep saving the pennies in readiness of a hoverfly purchase. So over the next 6 to 8 weeks I expect you lot to iron out all problems so that I can just step on to a magic carpet ride and be flying beautifully.

So chop chop, get on with sorting out all the tricks and quirks for me. You have about 8 weeks get on with it.....
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:38 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,073 Posts
Hey Shawn - I just finished and flew my hexa and I see why your is so stable not in Al mode - Wow what a difference over my HF quad - Hexa's rock - Also had to order more batteries - The Hexa likes to eat them up - Thanks

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d