HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:17 PM
North Lake Tahoe
Joined Nov 2009
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
Shawn my last camera mounting was similar but everything was sitting on top of a metal plate with grommets mounting it to the bracket. The strap went around the camera and plate but not the main bracket. I had crummy resolution but no jello. Plan to use the same setup again but with a lighter HD camera and hopefully get the same results just in 720p/60fps.
I like the idea of adding another mounting plate for the camera the is cushioned my more grommets. That adds one more layer for vibes to pass through while keeping a fairly rigid mount. More weight but probably effective.
tahoelight is offline Find More Posts by tahoelight
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:40 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,058 Posts
excellent video - Almost felt like GPS hold was enabled - Great Job and nice setup - I should have my hexa up and running on my new HF very soon -

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:46 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,762 Posts
Shawn are you running a Mac computer?
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Mar 08, 2011, 01:31 AM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
Shawn my last camera mounting was similar but everything was sitting on top of a metal plate with grommets mounting it to the bracket. The strap went around the camera and plate but not the main bracket. I had crummy resolution but no jello. Plan to use the same setup again but with a lighter HD camera and hopefully get the same results just in 720p/60fps.
You got me thinking too. Gonna cut up a couple aluminum plates and more mouse pad to glue to them. We'll see.

Shawn
Mactadpole is offline Find More Posts by Mactadpole
Old Mar 08, 2011, 01:38 AM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdi3d View Post
excellent video - Almost felt like GPS hold was enabled - Great Job and nice setup - I should have my hexa up and running on my new HF very soon -

Mike
Thanks. Yep, I know. I turned on AH and it would just sit there even in the wind. Only minimal input required most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Shawn are you running a Mac computer?
Yes, and I use a PC netbook but I can't run the firmware client on it because it won't fit the screen. Very frustrating and I have tried everything I know and what others have suggested.

On the mac I have it setup to boot Windows 7 via Bootcamp or in Parallels. It would be nice to have a mac based client for both but I'm ok with it because my mac boots really fast via parallels. I really want to be able to use my netbook!

Shawn
Old Mar 08, 2011, 02:00 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,762 Posts
Shawn what version of windows or vista do you run on your Mac please?
Old Mar 08, 2011, 02:01 AM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Shawn what version of windows or vista do you run on your Mac please?
Windows 7 professional
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:12 AM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,060 Posts
Mactadpole what camera mount and frame are you using?
Dolby is offline Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:09 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,762 Posts
Shawn, with respect to the sofrware not fitting the netbook window this is a longshot... On a mac if you hit command + or command minus you can increase or shrink the size of things in the window. Possibly a similar feature is on the netbook? Just a longshot.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 07:18 AM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactadpole View Post
Thanks for the servo recommendation. I got antsy yesterday evening and decided to try the Spektrum A3040 Sub-Micro Digital High-Torque Aircraft MG SX. I like the specs and got it fairly cheap:

Torque: 23 oz-in (1.7 kg-cm) @ 4.8V / 28 oz-in (2 kg-cm) @ 6V
Speed: .12 sec/60 @ 4.8 / .10 sec/60 @ 6V

If I goofed again I will for sure be ordering your recommendation.

Shawn
I just had the time to watch your videos all the way through, I think given the natue of the HiSight mounts, you're not going to improve things all that much no matter what servos you use, looks really good to me as-is. I did find switching from analog to full digital servos evened out the movements a bit and the final piece of the puzzle was to be really smooth on the controls which you certainly are.

I use a piece of anti vibration foam meant to wrap receivers in RC airplanes under the GoPro with just a velcro strap securing it to the HiSight and the only jello I get is on take off, it settles down shortly after, seems to work well on a quad, you may not get the same results on a hex.
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Mar 08, 2011, 09:12 AM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
668 Posts
Thanks for watching and passing along your thoughts. I'm pretty close to agreement about getting all I'm gonna get from the MK HiSight. I do think the new roll servo and new version of the DYI anti-vib camera platform will give me all I'm gonna get. We'll see. I just gotta get the AV130 airborne.

BTW - I found replacement gears for the Graupner servo for $4 from the same place that I bought the new one. Of course it was a day later. Showing my greeness to RC, I had no idea you could buy replacement servo parts. I decided to open it up and see what was actually wrong and saw broken teeth which got me to thinking maybe you could buy these little gears. Sure enough!

Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
I just had the time to watch your videos all the way through, I think given the natue of the HiSight mounts, you're not going to improve things all that much no matter what servos you use, looks really good to me as-is. I did find switching from analog to full digital servos evened out the movements a bit and the final piece of the puzzle was to be really smooth on the controls which you certainly are.

I use a piece of anti vibration foam meant to wrap receivers in RC airplanes under the GoPro with just a velcro strap securing it to the HiSight and the only jello I get is on take off, it settles down shortly after, seems to work well on a quad, you may not get the same results on a hex.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 03:32 PM
Joined Jul 2006
553 Posts
Dang Shawn, that is hella-smooth. I can hardly wait to get my 'copter flying. Nice video. I'm thinking I will be real happy for getting an HFP.

Keep sharing!

Take care,
Matt
mattgatten is offline Find More Posts by mattgatten
Old Mar 08, 2011, 07:18 PM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
668 Posts
Let me first state that my expectations are now super high after epic day #1. So now that my performance scale has been readjusted today was a near epic day of evening flights!

Wind speeds were ~8-12 mph with less gusts than the other day. I rebuilt my anti-vib platform when I got home from school and will also post some pics because it works! Let the epoxy finish drying and went flying. I decided to try the GoPro on three different settings: 1st flight=720p@60fps, 2nd=1080p@30fps, and the 3rd=720p@30fps. Jello is gone in 720p@60fps, only occasionally evident in 720p@30fps, and at 1080p there were more moments of jello than not but that's waaayyyy better than previous. I still have ever so slight pulses of high frequency vibrations causing momentary mild blurriness that you guys probably can't see in Vimeo but I can see it straight out of the camera at full size. I have analyzed the vids too closely so do know if it is correlated with anything. I just know I would see it for periods of time and then not. I don't know if this is the crappy roll servo or possibly I still have my gain set too high. I noticed that in some of my rapid descents I could hear motor oscillations on the video. I am going to turn gain down a bit and see next time.

I must get FPV because I still want to fly too far away and I just can't help myself

I still haven't even finished tuning auto-leveling because I haven't felt it was that important to me yet. I need to get that taken care of. I also need to exhibit some self discipline because all I want to do now is go fly!

Will be uploading video tonight. Had to get an account with vimeo

Shawn
Old Mar 08, 2011, 07:48 PM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
668 Posts
Here are pics of the awesome little GoPro anti-vib mount I made today based on yall's awesome suggestions and recommendations. Thanks!

Layers starting from bottom:

mouse pad
double stick tape
1" aluminum stock
small mouse pad squares just set in from each corner
1" aluminum stock
double stick tape
small mouse pad squares just set in from each corner
GoPro

I epoxied everything that was not attached with double stick. I drilled a 1/4" hole through the bottom plate/tape/mouse pad and epoxied a 1/4" bolt in place so I can just put on the camera gimbal and attach with a nut from the bottom. I used a nylon and rubber fender washer between the nut and gimbal plate.

Don't know that it is perfect but made a major difference for me. I think I might try some of that sorbothane stuff sometime soon to see if it knocks out the jello in 1080p. For those who don't know, some folks over in multirotor forum have played around with full coverage anti-vib stuff (like my mouse pad) vs. the little squares or circles and they found the smaller the contact surface the better. Can't remember exactly where but I do remember reading it.

Good Luck.

Shawn
Last edited by Mactadpole; Mar 08, 2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: wrong size for alum stock
Old Mar 08, 2011, 07:50 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,658 Posts
Shawn how big is a GoPro? Will it cover a 2" x 3" rectangular plate?
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398