HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by skye8070, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 12:12 AM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
644 Posts
Build Log
Is a Chrysalis still a HLG when it's got a motor?

This setup is slightly too hot for this size plane for ALES, but in everything but a dead calm condition, it's just about right at 17 oz. I personally like the fact it's got legs and can run around the sky just a little seeking lift. For a small plane, it's pretty good. About equal to a Radian, which is if you've seen them flown by good pilots in ALES contests is actually saying a lot.
skye8070 is offline Find More Posts by skye8070
Last edited by skye8070; Sep 04, 2011 at 06:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2011, 06:21 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,144 Posts
From what it looks like to me, it appears you have enough power for a 2-meter Chrysalis.

If you're having tail flutter problems, you probably have slop and/or flex in your control linkages.

I do NOT recommend mounting servos in the tail. Besides the obvious C/G issues, it also hurts the dynamic stability, and control response.
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Last edited by Don Stackhouse; Mar 07, 2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 08:03 PM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
From what it looks like to me, it appears you have nough power for a 2-meter Chrysalis.

If you're having tail flutter problems, you probably have slop and/or flex in your control linkages.

I do NOT recommend mounting servos in the tail. Besides the obvious C/G issues, it also hurts the dynamic stability, and control response.
Hi Don!

Don't get me wrong, the plane as originally designed flew well. But the original light weight (softwood?) push rods were definitely not up to snuff as built by me back in 2001. I added stability to rods by putting intermediate bearings to stop the Euler buckling modes and reduce/eliminate flutter. But that was at 13 oz total weight. The plane now weighs closer to 19 oz.

Just to be safe I'm purposely going to launch the plane with full throttle limited to about 1/3 it's potential and then slowly ramp up from there to understand the V-tail and wing behavior at these speeds. (I started this Friday night and finished just today so it's not been flown yet).

Again, this is not my effort to optimize every component. I had this power system in a 72" Piece O'Cake and then a 2 meter Gentle Lady so you're right to some extent. But in those planes (both about 26-28 oz) the drive system was still lacking for the needs of ALES which we're going for a 200 meter launch height in 30 sec. But there is no limit on horizontal travel during that 30 sec. To run low and then zoom up into what you figure is lift would be a potentially massive advantage to a plane that can not penetrate and can only power "straight up"

There's a massive ALES thread here which I'd urge you to check out.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1330889

I'd love to see you or Joe participate in this stuff because the 2 meter Chrysalis certainly has potential in this kind of event. All you have to do is beat a Radian which is what 75% of the guys are flying in ALES. Plus you all might sell a few more Chrysalii

MOSS will have several contests in Columbus and DARTS has a few as well in 2011. Come on out to check out the scene (and see how this little plane is flying).

Respectfully,
Skye Malcolm
Columbus, Ohio
Old Mar 09, 2011, 02:43 AM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
644 Posts
Flies surprisly well

The motor killed the ESC so I'm really bummed out because this was flying very nicely yesterday. It was overcast at 5 pm but perhaps pretty buoyant air. Hard to tell since I flew alone. The CG was at the rear extreme shown on the plans, the servos in the tail balancing the motor and prop pretty nicely.

Before dying the motor at 2/3 throttle was good for vertical climbs to 200 meters. I had the CAM altimeter in there but was easing my way up to a full launch before it started sprinkling rain and then the beat up, precrashed motor apparently had an internal loose wire or short which burned up a 30 amp ESC. See my thread in "power systems" for that analysis by others knowledgeable on the subject.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post17626970
Last edited by skye8070; Mar 09, 2011 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Add link
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:25 PM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
644 Posts
More updates - This plane has placed in two small ALES contests

I've flow in three ALES competitions with this plane. Just local stuff in Columbus and Dayton with 6 to 10 people each time. Flying against Radians the Chrysalis is pretty well matched I suppose since I earned a 2nd and 3rd place in two out of the three contests. The motor/prop combo is working nicely, although I have three flight modes and give myself tuned down max throttle to make it easier to get a nice 27 second launch most times. If there is wind and I want to zoom upwind, I give myself closer to max throttle and power along for the first 15 seconds at about 100 feet up shooting upwind staying level with the ground until I reach the desired place and use the last 15 seconds to climb straight up. This worked twice in the contest today when the lift was very scattered and the winds were perhaps over 10 mph in the gusty sink cycles.