HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2011, 04:50 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
393 Posts
Question
I have an unbuilt Bud Nosen Mr. Mulligan, anyone built a scale one of these?

Hi guys,

I have a Bud Nosen kit of a Mr. Mulligan, and just wondered if anyone here had built one of these previously. The kit is quite old, but I just have a love for 1930's era aircraft, or ones that look like they come from that era.

I apologize if there is an old build thread of one of these, but I searched and did not find one.

I am seeking suggestions/modifications that should be done, before I start the build, so that I can easily accomodate them as the build progresses.

Thanks for your help.
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2011, 11:36 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,229 Posts
Another Golden Age beauty!

You may be on your own here as far as replicating a scale offering. Nosen took license in his designs. It may be the case that you'll have to tap your ingenuity and skills here. Perform a web search on the Howard DGA-6 (which was in fact dubbed the "Mister Mulligan") and go from there.

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Mar 06, 2011, 08:28 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,209 Posts
I believe there are a couple of incomplete build threads, for the Nosen Mulligan, over on RCU.

About all that I know about this kit, is that is flies well on a G-62, and poorly on a G-38.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 07, 2011, 02:40 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I believe there are a couple of incomplete build threads, for the Nosen Mulligan, over on RCU.

About all that I know about this kit, is that is flies well on a G-62, and poorly on a G-38.
My goodness Tom, a G-62?...that big?....wow, and here I thought that Nosen kits were built light....it is only about 100" span....a G-62....I cannot believe it....will have to really have a second think about this one....

Thanks anyway Tom.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 03:02 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
393 Posts
Thanks for your suggestion and comment EJ, it was an eye opener for me, I have not looked previously and would actually never have thought of this, but from all of the pics that I can see on the web of the original aircraft, it looks like it only had one door and it was on the right side of the aircraft, that is from the pictures that I have as yet seen....if what I am seeing is correct, I would never have thought of it....just would have assumed two doors...
Old Mar 07, 2011, 04:55 PM
Ventress, Louisiana
Joined Oct 2007
74 Posts
I have a good set of 3-views I can e-mail you on the Mr. Mulligan, and I will send you the most recent thread info from RCU if you are interested, send me a PM with your e-mail addy and I'll send you what I have, I wouldn't try to fly the Mr. Mulligan with less than a 50 cc engine, as said above most have gone up to a Zenoa 62 cc, as you will need the weight to balance the aircraft, flaps can be built into it but they are not required as this one is a real floater, I'll be building another one in the next year or so. There is also a guy from Hemet, CA. building a 40% DGA as we speak, 182" wing span.

Bill D.
Bill Diedrich is offline Find More Posts by Bill Diedrich
Old Mar 07, 2011, 06:05 PM
Joined May 2004
1,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackie View Post
Hi guys,

I have a Bud Nosen kit of a Mr. Mulligan, and just wondered if anyone here had built one of these previously. The kit is quite old, but I just have a love for 1930's era aircraft, or ones that look like they come from that era.

I apologize if there is an old build thread of one of these, but I searched and did not find one.

I am seeking suggestions/modifications that should be done, before I start the build, so that I can easily accomodate them as the build progresses.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Sackie,
I helped restore "Little Mulligan" ( a 1941 full scale Monocoupe), Mister Mulligans little brother
I also have a Bud Nosen Mister Mulligan kit unbuilt as yet along with an IkonNwst Monocoupe 90A kit, also unbuilt as of yet.
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Old Mar 07, 2011, 06:09 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,209 Posts
Ed, Build the "Coupe. She's a great flyer.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:06 PM
Alan
USA, NC, Dudley
Joined Sep 2007
213 Posts
The first thing you should do is make a copy of all the parts, sizes and types of wood; and all plans and instructions. Then mail them to me.
Good luck with your build
Alan

I love this airplane.
bgfireman is offline Find More Posts by bgfireman
Old Mar 08, 2011, 12:42 PM
Deal Honestly or Don't Deal
United States, SC, Taylors
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Your Mulligan will take every bit of a G-62, I built one abour eight years ago and powered it with a Brison 3.2 gas engine. And it will fly like the full scale in that it doesn't turn too well unless you use rudder as well as airlerons.
Without the rudder input it will just turn up on it's side and fly straight ahead.
Here ismine with Brison 3.2 engine.
sarg96
sarg96 is offline Find More Posts by sarg96
Last edited by sarg96; Mar 10, 2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 01:59 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,430 Posts
I have one of these kits as well and had a hard time finding any build threads (I have never found a complete build thread for it) on any web-site. I would love to do a build thread on it, but I am not sure that I have the space for it. Last summer at Oshkosh some guy flew one in that he home-built. I took dozens of photos of it for when I do build my Bud Nosen version.

I am torn between starting this kit or my SIG Ryan STA (there was one of those at Oshkosh last year as well).
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Mar 09, 2011, 11:41 AM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
The 'Coupe is a beauty, but it's hard to beat the presence of Mr M...doesn't seem to get modeled much...must be those cut-down wings. Howard DGA-15 looks almost the same, but with longer wings...perhaps a bit more tame. My little Sig Mr M is in the conversion contest right now along with 2 other Howard DGA's (not Mr M, though) and a bunch of other plane-types.

Link to my build...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402876

Link to contest. The other two H-DGA's are being scratchbuilt...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1344856
redlite is offline Find More Posts by redlite
Old Mar 09, 2011, 10:45 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
393 Posts
WOW!! Red is that a tissue job?....it sure looks like it....wish I could have learnt how to do beautiful covering like that...

I have sent a few PMs to some of you, and thanks for the varied comments, and I will heed the advice of those more knowledgeable than I an get myself a G-62 size for this Mr. M.

Thanks guys.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 11:39 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Thanks Sackie...it's 'only 20 inches' unlike your 'only 100 inches'...dude, I almost fell off my chair when you wrote "it's only about 100 inches"...yeah, tissue job, click on my build link and you'll see a bunch of shots of the tissue coming off the top surfaces for a major overhaul...plus this rubber plane will get a micro R/C system...your empty fuel tank and lines will weigh more than my Mr Mulligan, AKA Howard DGA-6. I'll follow your progress on this thread with much interest if you post. Good Luck and you won't find a better looking high wing cabin plane!

Joe
redlite is offline Find More Posts by redlite
Old Mar 12, 2011, 05:43 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
393 Posts
Hey Sarg, when you built yours 8 years ago, how scale did you go, did you build in any doors?...do you know how many the full size had?...from the pictures I can find so far, it looks like they only had one door and not two like I would have assumed...

Any guys out there that can comment on how many doors the full size had?

The boss at home here will not allow me to spend on a G.62 right now so that build will be put off for a little while yet.

Just waiting on the weather around here to warm up a bit so that I can paint my TF Stinson and get that completed....weather today is _16 C and -25 C with the wind chill.....can anyone say burrrrr!!!!