SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:36 AM
GasBag
Stewartstown PA
Joined Oct 2005
259 Posts
Discussion
Poor man's triangle race for northeast

I have always loved the idea of GPS triangle racing. It would be a great way to improve your thermal skills with your scale ship and have some fun with your flying buds. The only draw back is the price of the GPS units. Don't think most guys are ready to drop 1000 bucks for one. So I have had this idea in my little head that we could maybe set a two or three point coarse during one of the aerotows at SKSS or LASS to try some form of triangle racing. These points would have a volunteer that would radio back to your timer that you have pasted or rounded the mark. Set it up so there is two hours in the afternoon to get towed on coarse then you see how fast you can make five laps around the coarse. I would make this event very low keyed not a lot of rules more for the fun of it. We can have two classes vintage and glass slippers. Charlie!! I will be happy to run this event if you guys think it is a good idea. If you think it is bad idea don't be afraid to give your input.
eschlitzkus is offline Find More Posts by eschlitzkus
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2011, 11:21 AM
Bremen/Germany
Joined Apr 2004
468 Posts
Great idea, but it needs some dedication by the organizers!

Back "in the 80ies of the last century", we ran such a contest in our club for a few years (unfortunately I had to move for business reasons after the first event).

The first year set-up in brief words:
Aero tow to 250 m, approx. 750 ft. We even had an early radio altimeter!
Release, free flying for 1 minute for eventual gain of additional altitude.
After passing the starting line, the timing started on a straight out-and-return course of some 300(?) meters (with a good line of sight where signaling was done with large flags).
"Working time" was 10 min (if I remember right) with precision landing/timing for additional points. Each run back-and-forth yielded substantial points, so you had to judge if you were trying a next run or go for time and a relaxed landing.

This scheme was improved over some years but sorry, I don`t know further details.

Try it you`ll like it1 ;-)

Herbert
h.eberbach is offline Find More Posts by h.eberbach
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:03 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
Erich,
We are about to announce a major Step forward for the USA in GPS triangle racing. Watch for it here in the next day or two.
Also,
Rick Shelby is working on some units, I dont know the details, I'm sure he will jump in here and explain it better.
The new site has a dedicated GPS section. Its going to finally get going here in the US. Fun first, competition second.

If you want to organize the event for LASS or SKSS, I'm certain I can get a couple units on loan to use for it.
Let me know.

LEN
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Mar 05, 2011, 06:03 PM
GasBag
Stewartstown PA
Joined Oct 2005
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbuff1 View Post
Erich,
We are about to announce a major Step forward for the USA in GPS triangle racing. Watch for it here in the next day or two.
Also,
Rick Shelby is working on some units, I dont know the details, I'm sure he will jump in here and explain it better.
The new site has a dedicated GPS section. Its going to finally get going here in the US. Fun first, competition second.

If you want to organize the event for LASS or SKSS, I'm certain I can get a couple units on loan to use for it.
Let me know.

LEN
Len that sounds great. Hope we can get some interest here on the east.
eschlitzkus is offline Find More Posts by eschlitzkus
Old Mar 05, 2011, 06:09 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
I think the interest is here, we just need the events. The nice thing about the GPS racing is there is no pressure. It fits right in alongside normal aerotow operations and you can learn to be a better pilot all at the same time.

Win-Win-Win

len
Old Mar 05, 2011, 07:36 PM
Corner Ketch, DE
Joined Sep 2005
1,304 Posts
Erich that sounds great!
Pick any of the four days of the SKSS You want

Charlie
creeve is offline Find More Posts by creeve
Old Mar 05, 2011, 07:39 PM
Corner Ketch, DE
Joined Sep 2005
1,304 Posts
My first entry will be the Swift , Should do 5 laps in about 8 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!
creeve is offline Find More Posts by creeve
Old Mar 05, 2011, 07:46 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeve View Post
My first entry will be the Swift , Should do 5 laps in about 8 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hmmm,
Let me check the rule book on that and get back to you.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 06:13 AM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
342 Posts
Interested, and I've got hardware

Pick a date that doesn't conflict with the ESL TD schedule and I'll come down. This Triangle racing sounds like fun.

David
dbeach is offline Find More Posts by dbeach