Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:58 PM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2005
772 Posts
Wing Progress

I managed to finish the wings today. Super easy to build, now I just have to sand in the Dihedrle angle and join the 2 halves.

Randy
Meatball is offline Find More Posts by Meatball
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:35 PM
Joined Feb 2005
772 Posts
More Progress

I started framing up the fuselage today. I always leave the bottom sheeting off until I get the controls installed. I also am awaiting my motor before I can install the motor mount. I want to get the distances just right, so I won't be able to do much more for awhile!!

Randy
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:25 AM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Jan 2011
96 Posts
Motors

You might want to try these guys, they have suggestions on motors based on plane weight and props with the amount of amps they pull. I have used them a few times and they ship fast. Shipping is only $2.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFront

Meatball you should start a build thread.
bracketman is online now Find More Posts by bracketman
Old Dec 23, 2011, 05:24 PM
Joined Feb 2005
772 Posts
Pronto Motor

My motor has been shipped from Value Hobby. I am building the model like I would if I were going to use an OS Max 25 for power. My original was built that way and I want the new one to have the same flight characteristics. So I am doing nothing to save weight, just putting a strong enough motor in the plane. The motor I am waiting for is shown below!!

Randy

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...42-1250kv.html
Old Dec 26, 2011, 03:10 PM
United States, TX, Harker Heights
Joined Jul 2007
195 Posts
Hi Randy....
Nice build on the Pronto....
Couple of points of interest... I noticed on the wing structure ya haven't included the spar webbing between the spars.. this is quite important as it prevent the wing from torquing... also another helpful area is at the trailing edge at the end of each wing panel.. here I normally add a triangular piece of material to help give added covering surface.. this is due to the intentional wash out that I put in to each trailing edge panel at the tips... this enables the pronto to fly at lower speeds and still have solid lift...

Hope this helps and I hope ya had a grand Christmas.. and and even greater new year..

Banjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball View Post
I managed to finish the wings today. Super easy to build, now I just have to sand in the Dihedral angle and join the 2 halves.

Randy
BanjoTX is offline Find More Posts by BanjoTX
Old Dec 26, 2011, 07:15 PM
Joined Aug 2002
41 Posts
Pronto #3 progress: A while back I said wood had been cut for my third Pronto so here's where I am currently. The wing is from #2 and mainly just got the top center sheeting replaced and then it was re-balanced. The fuselage is mostly per the plans but I'll be using a different motor mount and landing gear system than original design. It'll be a lot more robust than #1 and #2 as they both had 1/8 tail feathers along with 1/8 fuselage sides without any doublers. I've still got more stringers to add to the turtle deck to fill it out I know the original design had a shaped block for the turtle deck but I used the built up method on the earlier Prontos and wanted to stay with that approach, besides I eat less balsa dust this way.

Name: Pronto 3 Progress.jpg
Views: 117
Size: 139.0 KB
Description:

The bottom of the fuselage is wide open at this point. Time to start getting the servos installed and setting up control linkages. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one flies this spring.

Mark
edalpoe is offline Find More Posts by edalpoe
Old Dec 26, 2011, 09:05 PM
Joined Feb 2005
772 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the input Banjo. I have completed the shear webs in the wings, just weren't complete when I took the picture. I will add the triangles at the end of each wing as suggested...

Randy
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:51 PM
Joined Jul 2007
195 Posts
Ya'll have to post finished photos.... Plus will be quite interested in how much she weights AUW.... As I'm seriosly considering building an E-version as well.

Enjoy my friend!!!

Banjo

Quote:
Thanks for the input Banjo. I have completed the shear webs in the wings, just weren't complete when I took the picture. I will add the triangles at the end of each wing as suggested...

Randy
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:21 PM
Joined Feb 2005
772 Posts
Motor Mount

I received my motor and got the firewall and motor mounted to the fuselage. I also made the top hatch removable so I can get to the battery easier. The build is coming along.

Randy
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Feb 2005
772 Posts
Dihedral Angle

How do you get 7 inches of Dihedral angle???? If you are an old Tool and Die Maker you use some type of fixture. This is what I came up with ... and it works!!!

Randy
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Feb 2005
772 Posts
OOPS Wrong Picture

Sorry about that!!

R
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Feb 2005
772 Posts
Second Try

Having a little trouble downloading my pictures.

R
Old Jan 02, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Jul 2007
195 Posts
Yuppers....
block up the tip 3".. and sand the dihedral into the panels.. Once both panels are done... just apply epoxy and clap both panels together...
Works for me....

Banjo

Quote:
Having a little trouble downloading my pictures.

R
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Feb 2005
772 Posts
Ribs

Anyone need Pronto Ribs??? Just make 2 ply ribs joined with a couple bolts and place balsa in between. Easy to sand to shape!! I made all the ribs needed to build the pronto using the 2 Ply patterns ...EASY

Randy
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:25 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Jan 2011
96 Posts
Meatball I thought you would have been flying that thing by now!!
bracketman is online now Find More Posts by bracketman