HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:49 PM
I am the shadow in the valley.
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneGeek View Post
Thanks, n00b-E. That settles it. I'll draw the plan with the dowel.

My intent at this point is to create a professional-looking CAD drawing for the Pronto but copyright-free (actually "copyleft".)

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft

Could I have some feedback on the number of ribs in the Pronto wing? They look really few and far between to me.
I'll check this evening and get back to you on the ribs.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:01 PM
"Yes, it's my real hair."
United States, VT
Joined Nov 2011
29 Posts
I meant, shall more ribs be added than shown in the original plan to optimize the airfoil cross-sections between the ribs.
AirborneGeek is offline Find More Posts by AirborneGeek
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:00 PM
Joined Sep 2007
681 Posts
I remember there being an addendum to the instructions stating that at one time he used "false" ribs (meaning just the portion of the rib from the spar to the LE, I'm sure theres an actual name for them but I have no idea what it is ) and that there was no noticeable performance gain to be had by using them.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:29 PM
"Yes, it's my real hair."
United States, VT
Joined Nov 2011
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b-E View Post
I remember there being an addendum to the instructions stating that at one time he used "false" ribs (meaning just the portion of the rib from the spar to the LE, I'm sure theres an actual name for them but I have no idea what it is ) and that there was no noticeable performance gain to be had by using them.
That explains the extra "half-ribs" (my made-up name for them) I saw in the image I plucked off Google last night. See attached photo.

Durn! I need to get over the urge to meddle with the design and just get on with redrawing it.
AirborneGeek is offline Find More Posts by AirborneGeek
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:31 PM
Joined Sep 2007
681 Posts
Quote:
That explains the extra "half-ribs" (my made-up name for them) I saw in the image I plucked off Google last night. See attached photo.

Durn! I need to get over the urge to meddle with the design and just get on with redrawing it.
Thats them!! Further, the Pronto in your pic has a sheeted center section, whereas my kit did not. Not sure what to make of that.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:07 PM
United States, TX, Harker Heights
Joined Jul 2007
189 Posts
Glad ya got your engine BACK!!!!

Banjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by edalpoe View Post
Either method will work. The hardwood dowel will probably be a little more ding resistant. If using the 3/8" square balsa leading edge, notch the ribs accordingly and after the assembly is dry, radius the leading edge with a sanding block to blend it to the curve of the ribs.

Side note: earlier in this thread I said I lost the front end of my Pronto in a mid-air collision. About a month later, after the farmer had plowed the field under, I found the engine and fuel tank. A complete dis-assembly was required for the clean up, but I'm pretty sure it'll run again.

Mark
BanjoTX is offline Find More Posts by BanjoTX
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:21 PM
Joined Jul 2007
189 Posts
Hiya ABG... Sorry for the confusion on the leading edge..... Dave Orginally drew up the pronto with the square leading edge, But the Tidewater Hobby Enterprise T.H.E. kits were produced using the 1/4" dowel method. A very easy build and it provided some added strength to the wing...

As far as the rib concerns.... the pronto didnt have the false(half) ribs as seen in some of the pictures presented in the thread.... These ribs were added to the Super Pronto which included barndoor type ailerons and 1" tip blocks... They arent needed on the 3ch version.
3ch wing span 48" 7" dihedral total 3.5" per wing panel
4ch wing span 50" 3.5" dihedral total 1.75" per wing panel

Hope this helps

Banjo

btw.... there was never any center sheeting in the kit design. not really needed.
IF you check out Ritzone blog he has CAD drawing of the ribs and formers and such

Quote:
I'm confused about the wing leading edge. It looks like the ribs are cut to take a hardwood dowel in front but there is also a note calling out "3/8 sq. L. E." that I read to mean "3/8-inch balsa square stock". Reference attached images.

Straighten me out, please.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:26 PM
Joined Jul 2007
189 Posts
I liked your workup electric rendition....
Knowing Dave like I did, he probably did one up at some point in time.. LOL
How much did your E version weight in at?
He was a pioneer in the electric/micro world as well... I mss him...
He taught me to fly..

Banjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
Yep... I drew up one to cut in my CNC machine. Put about 250 Watts in the nose. I need to re-visit this one as my rendition didn't fly nearly as well as the one I built originally. After a fair amount of fiddling with props, etc, it appears the fuse was tweaking in flight. In my quest to make it lighter, I used some pretty soft 1/16" wood for the fuse. Apparently it was a bit too light.

Here's a link to the build of this one: http://www.phlatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1825 I'm pretty sure you have to log in to view the pics

I had a Pronto in the mid 90s and LOVED it. It would fly in wind that would ground much larger heavier planes. This one had a Fox .25 in the nose spinning a 9x6 master airscrew.
Loved the plane and nice to hear Dave was such a nice guy.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:11 PM
Joined Aug 2002
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b-E View Post
Thats them!! Further, the Pronto in your pic has a sheeted center section, whereas my kit did not. Not sure what to make of that.
My two Prontos were scratch built without ever seeing a kit or any plan. I worked from just a 3-view of the model. Basically I was making up the design details as I thought adequate. My first wing (the blue and yellow plane) had 4" rib spacing and so I went with the half ribs in between to reduce the monokote sag between the ribs. Since this first wing eventually folded in flight, the second plane (the red and yellow midair plane) had 3" rib spacing and a beefier spar and leading edge. Both used sheeted center section. I like the sheeted center section, it smooths the airfoil where the fuselage meets the wing. I epoxied down some fiberglass cloth on the center joint and where the fuselage sits on the wing. It toughened the area up and helped prevent wood crushing from the rubber band tension.

If plans were available to me at the time of those builds, odds are I would have built the wings per the plan. Please don't look at my planes and think they were built from a Tidewater kit or from Dave's plans. Hopefully my pictures aren't confusing things when folks compare them to Dave's plans. I did the best I could to make a reasonable rendition of the Pronto with the resources I had at the time. To me, they both looked like a Pronto and I had a ball flying them and to me, that's what it's about.

Mark
edalpoe is offline Find More Posts by edalpoe
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:08 AM
Joined Sep 2007
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edalpoe View Post
To me, they both looked like a Pronto and I had a ball flying them and to me, that's what it's about.

Mark
And a fine job you did, Sir! I had actually planned on sheeting the center of the one I'm contemplating presently, but I wasn't sure if there was anything to be gained. I've since decided to do an E power Super Pronto thingamabob. It will look like a Pronto, but I'm going to take a bunch of creative liberties! I'm also going to build one for my kids to fly, I think.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 02:30 PM
Joined Aug 2002
41 Posts
You can find some gems surfing this website. Today I found the 1972 Model Airplane News article about the Pronto. Here's the link to where you can find it. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...llard&page=380
It was a treat to finally read the original article about this airplane. Some of you may have seen this before but others may not have so .... Enjoy!

Mark

Side note: Balsa has been cut and Pronto #3 has been started.
edalpoe is offline Find More Posts by edalpoe
Old Dec 03, 2011, 04:17 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,484 Posts
Do you have a post number? My display pages is not the standard, so my page 380 isn't your page 380?

<EDIT> Never mind... I re-set my settings, and found it. --- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5694
And
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...llard&page=380

THANKS
rcav8r2 is online now Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Dec 07, 2011, 01:31 PM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2005
766 Posts
Thank You

I have been searching for Pronto plans for the last 2 years and happy to find this thread. I built a Pronto as my first gasser while working for Rockwell International on the B-1A Bomber in the early 70s. The club had a contest and all members built Prontos. My plane took 2nd and taught me how to fly. I loved the things I could do with the 3 channel bird and will now build a new Pronto using electric power thanks to your plans.

Randy
Meatball is offline Find More Posts by Meatball
Old Dec 09, 2011, 09:58 PM
Joined Jul 2007
189 Posts
Meatball,
Merry Christmas!!!!! I'm very happy that you found the thread too...
Ritzone's blog has CAD to scale drawing yoiu can print out... Let me know if this is anything I can help ya with...

Banjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball View Post
I have been searching for Pronto plans for the last 2 years and happy to find this thread. I built a Pronto as my first gasser while working for Rockwell International on the B-1A Bomber in the early 70s. The club had a contest and all members built Prontos. My plane took 2nd and taught me how to fly. I loved the things I could do with the 3 channel bird and will now build a new Pronto using electric power thanks to your plans.

Randy
Old Dec 09, 2011, 10:19 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
774 Posts
I'm doing my first scratch built and doing the aileron version of the pronto because of this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1552338

Thanks for originally posting this Banjo!
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting