Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, TX, Harker Heights
Joined Jul 2007
196 Posts
Hey Joe....
What type of pushrods are you planning to use???
Reason for asking/commenting is that I've use1/4 balsa pushrods over the years and while they work and get the job done... I've found a lighter and easier method I'd like to share... Thanks to a good friend Max Blose who owns the Hobby Stop in Waco TX...
I use carbon fiber tubes JUST the right inside diameter to accept standard 1/16 threaded rods.... I use the threaded rods on both ends.... and use a low speed varible dremel tool to screw them into the carbon fiber tubes...
Heres the secret.... to keep the carbon fiber tubes from possible spliting during this part.... first get some K&S aluminum tubing JUST the right size to slip over the ends of the carbon tube.. cut the Aluminum tubing bout 1/4" long and using thin CA... CA the metal tubing onto the end of the carbon tubing once you have those measured and adjust to give you smooth control throw.... Then apply a bit oa CA to the threaded rod end and screw them into the carbon tubes.... After that you can make your needed bends to get a slop free pushrod install.... I use cleives at the control horns at the tail and eazy connectors at the servo arms and have never experienced a problem using this method...
The neatest part is that the carbon tube rods are infact a bit lighter... very little if any humidity changes... AND the biggest plus is that they are less cumbersome size wise as in the case of the old 1/4 balsa rods.... This method has become my main stay in all my control linkages....

Banjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Thanks Meatball but i still have some radio and pushrods and programing to do yet ,besides its cold and snowy out and its also my building season. I dont hurry anything anymore but just cruise along . We go have some nice weather comming this weekend and if i get to working on her it might be ready for her first flight. I will get some pictures for Banjo and this thread first just in case the maiden runs amock . joe
BanjoTX is offline Find More Posts by BanjoTX
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:31 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
808 Posts
They are hinged but not glued in yet. I still have some sanding to do on the wing.

Yes will add that piece to the tail. Makes sense. I didn't get to the wingtip part yet but will be adding that too.

Started covering the fuse last night. My first time covering anything but along with a few choice words and keeping at it the fuse is coming a long ok.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoTX View Post
Looks like it's coming along very nicely.....
are the ailerons already hinged??
Also as a point of reference.... at the horizonal stab location on the fuse... It will help a great deal to add a triangluar 3/16 mounting plate where the horizonal stab sits... this will give you alot more surface area in which to glue and attach the stab...
After chking the wing for alignment and warps... adding a small triangluar 3/16 block to the wingtip rib/trailing edge will help to strength'n the wing tip area without adding to much weight.....

Banjo
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,358 Posts
I used the outer casing for carbon fiber rods and was going to use them ,but after every thing was installed i need all the weight i can in the rear to get my battery under the fuel tank where i like them . I used metal rods for the weight and so they dont expand and contract like older nirods did on a hot summers day. I know the carbon fiber ones to not exspand and contract and iam with you brother as to how easy the slide and work well. All i can say is at least its not tail heavy .lol Thanks for the tip on the carbon fiber rods i will try it on my next build Banjo. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Jan 25, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:17 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,358 Posts
I have a question for you banjo ,did you own a pronto surpreme or did you know anyone who has had one? The reason i ask is the plans show no incidence on the motor in either direction but every thing set at 0 . Former F-1 is at 90 dgrees to the fuse side and the motor bearing blocks are at 90 degrees to the former the top view shows the motor straight to the fuse. joe
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Jul 2007
196 Posts
I personally have never owned a Pronto Supreme... but have know a number of folks who have built it...

With regards to thrust arrangements on the Supreme... the basic reason for the differences, that of being 0' 0... comes from the design factors. With the Pronto... either 3 or 4 ch.... due to the flat bottom wing and dihedral 7" & 3.5" respectively... the need for down thrust accounts comes from the high lifting wing verses power loading and incidence setting of the stab and the relationship of the wing. The down thrust decreases the porpoising associated with speed changes, the aspect ratio and the fact that the CG is normally at the apex of lift in the wing chord...
The right thrust, is mainly due to the light power loading/ weight of the model.. plus the long tail moment.... The P-factor or torquing is something that is seem in most tail dragger type airframe.... Because normally ya'll find that the rudder is pretty much neutral to the center thrust datum line.. the right offset enables the aircraft to track straighter and true on take off without the need to stand on the right rudder during roll out.... Of course, once up on the main gear and at speed the rudder takes over the task of course tracking the model down the runway... As a side note.... toeing the wheels outward will help improve ground tracking especially if flying from a grass runway.. I normally mount the main gear as shown on the pronto plans and then flex bend them slight forward... This helps the pivot point become smoother and more controlled and the tail will tend to come up on its own better....
NOW all that being said.. the Supreme is more of a sports/pattern type of aircraft and uses a sys metrical airfoil and because of the 0'0 wing and stab incidences... the need for down thrust is not required and the absence of the large amounts of dihedral associated with pronto would not require as much if any right thrust... Of course taken into account is the landing gear location difference and tracking is more close coupled mean the the tail will become more effective quicker....
As a point of reference.. I would suggest balancing the CG on theSupreme inverted instead of right side up.... this will cause the model to be more neutral in inverted flight... and require less elevator input....

Man.... Sorry to get sooo dang long-winded.... Look'n forward to see'n your finished build and how the 1st flight turn out for ya....

Banjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I have a question for you banjo ,did you own a pronto surpreme or did you know anyone who has had one? The reason i ask is the plans show no incidence on the motor in either direction but every thing set at 0 . Former F-1 is at 90 dgrees to the fuse side and the motor bearing blocks are at 90 degrees to the former the top view shows the motor straight to the fuse. joe
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,358 Posts
Thanks Bango ,even though i am a carpenter ( kinda slow when it come to aerodynamics) : it surprized me that i understook your explanation. I think 30 years of playing wih my planes has helped this scary fact.I knew it had a different airfoil than the pronto and way less diheadral but i did not think it would help the motor incidence . Thanks for the imfo Banjo
Last edited by cracksmeup; Jan 25, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:00 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,440 Posts
I'm thinking this topic should be split, moving all the posts to the proper forum. More people would be able to admire the work.
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Jul 2007
196 Posts
How does one go about that MFDude????

Quote:
Originally Posted by microflitedude View Post
I'm thinking this topic should be split, moving all the posts to the proper forum. More people would be able to admire the work.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:16 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoTX View Post
How does one go about that MFDude????
I'll ask the moderators.
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Sep 2011
808 Posts
Thanks Banjo for that info on the thrust. I had some washers to change the angle but glad what you said makes sense. If Joe and I can understand I think you did pretty good LOL!

Robert
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
Thanks Banjo for that info on the thrust. I had some washers to change the angle but glad what you said makes sense. If Joe and I can understand I think you did pretty good LOL!

Robert
LOl joe
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,358 Posts
Iam finaly finished except for my pilot and iam a bit picky about them so it might take a while. Here are some pictures of her top and bottom . The last picture is for Dave cause i know he is watching this thread with a smile on his face. The last picture is of my son Danny holding the pronto and he is the next generation to build and fly Daves pronto and many other of his great desighns. Thanks again to Banjo for the plans and your help along the way. joe
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Sep 2011
808 Posts
Awesome Joe! Looks great. Can't wait to see it up in the air!

Robert
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,358 Posts
Thanks Robert .i know you are a programer and i could have used your help programing this one . I will stick around and watch you and others finish their prontos while i start my ivans plans scratch built twin otter and a albatross i have planned for the rest of this winter. Cant wait to see yours to Robert . joe
Last edited by cracksmeup; Jan 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:04 PM
'Merica!
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
691 Posts
Great looking bird, Joe. Is that a .20 or a .28 Sportster you have on there?
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E