SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2011, 04:32 AM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Discussion
Micro T stabilization: 3S/4S Low Cog Mount and Front Stabilizer Bar Mod

Here is my setup;

A 3S/4S Micro-T with a front Stabilzer Bar (or Anti Sway Bar) attached on the front suspension;

Yup, this setup with the stock shell has enough space for a 3S or even a 4S Lipo battery;

For a good 3S/4S hi speed run, best to keep the car stable and sway free. On this thread, i will introduce two mods that will help to make the car more stable.

1st to tackle is the COG specially if we are to mount a 3 cell or even a 4 cell lipo battery. The only available space i got is the battery tray itself but this time instead of loading it from below, i removed the above casing and made it top loading.

3S Battery neatly mounted from the top. The rest of electronics including ESC were moved up-front;

Not to compromise the chassis structure, i CA'ed the battery cover permanently;

With lipo battery almost in line with the car's axle plane, COG is kept low even if use a 3S or a 4S. It helps minimizing the unwanted body roll.

Another mod added here to keep the chassis leveled even at sharp turns, a front sway/stabilizer bar is added. For the bar i used a walkera 4#3 skid;

The swaybar mount is from a micro-raminator shell post bolted/CA'ed below the chassis;

A couple of stabilizer bar posts are added on the suspension arm;

View from below;

I used a shock absorber piston rod as the mount for the shock absorber and the stabilizer bar eyelet;

VIDEOS:

Stabilizer Bar Articulation Test 1;

Front Stabilizer Bar Losi Micro T - Articulation Tests 1 (0 min 27 sec)

Stabilizer Bar Articulation Test 2: This shows how the swaybar affects the opposite suspension as one side of the front suspension is compressed. Very typical of any front/rear stabilizer setup;

Front Stabilizer Bar Losi Micro T - Articulation Tests 2 (0 min 40 sec)

Testing Car Handling at fast sharp turns;

3S Lipo Brushless Front Stabilizer Bar Micro T - Suspension Stabilization Tests (0 min 55 sec)

For the 3S Lipo mounting, here she is with a quick demo;

3S Lipo Brushless Front Stabilizer Bar Losi Micro T - Low COG Battery Mount (1 min 26 sec)

and finally a good hi-speed Micro-T run with a 3S Lipo on a 10300KV Brushless Motor;

3S Lipo Brushless Front Stabilizer Bar Losi Micro T - Drag Run 1 (1 min 1 sec)
EQMOD is offline Find More Posts by EQMOD
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2011, 07:06 AM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
I decided to put the stock wheels back and changed the pinion to a delrin 14T paired with the 49T delrin spur;

And for the stabilization part, i took some frames on the test video and checked if all four wheels remain on the ground during a sharp turn;

Here she is as sampled from one frame capture during the turn - all four wheels on the ground despite the body roll and the compressed spring on the outside turn;

ANd here is the actual gif animation of such turn;

And here are more video test runs on 10300KV 3S using a 49T Spur 14T Pinion ...

3S Brushless Low COG Stabilizer Bar Grease Shocks Dampened Micro T - Run 2 (0 min 59 sec)

Doing some fast turns while camera is placed on the ground;

Low COG Stabilizer Bar Grease Shocks Dampened Micro T - Steering Stability 2 (1 min 5 sec)
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:54 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
ok, here is one added mod that made a significant difference; Wheel Axle ball bearings

Video of the run ...

Current Specs:

- 3S 180maH Lipo, bottom tray low COG placment
- 10300KV Brushless Motor
- Front Stabilizer Bar
- Tamiya AW Grease Dampened Shrink Tube Piston Shock Absorbers
- Ball Bearing upgrades on the wheel axles
- The rest are stock

Micro-T Ball Bearing 3S Lipo Brushless Front stabilizer Grease Damping Shocks - Run 1 (1 min 5 sec)