HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:57 AM
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Joined Sep 2003
510 Posts
Discussion
25 Size DH 82 A Tiger Moth

Here are some pictures of my plan built Tiger Moth.
The model was built from Gordon Whitehead's plan. Powered by an OS 25 FX
mchandrayan is offline Find More Posts by mchandrayan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2011, 01:06 AM
Joined Sep 2003
510 Posts
Some more
Old Mar 06, 2011, 05:24 PM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
914 Posts
Beautiful job! And really nice in-flight photos. I love those small scale Gordon Whitehead designs. Tell us more about it.

Jim
buzzard bait is online now Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Mar 06, 2011, 10:12 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,453 Posts
Whats it weigh... looks like a nice candidate for E-conversion too.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Mar 07, 2011, 02:38 AM
Joined Sep 2003
510 Posts
Jim,
Thanks for the kind words, yes I am a big fan of Gordon's design too. They are designed for everyday flying. Have a couple more plans from him, will get around building them some day.
Only regret I have with respect to this Tiggie that I could not afford a 4T then, an OS26four stroke would have been eminently suitable and would have avoided that big lump of muffler sticking out of port cowl.
The biggest challenge I face with this model is frequent engine cuts due to inverted engine and tank position. The 25 Fx is way too much power and if flown for some time at 1/2 throttle the engine quits freqently. A 20 FP would have been better so that the engine would be mostly at full throttle

Thermalin,
Never weighed it, but I guess it would be around 4- 4 1/2 pounds mark. Yes should be good with an electric motor too, but I would prefer my Tiggies to be IC powered :-)
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:41 AM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
914 Posts
I love IC engines too and wouldn't consider anything else. I have his Gypsy Moth plans. I intend to build one light and use an Enya 09 or 15. It is a slightly smaller scale than his Tiggie. I agree the 26FS would be ideal for your plane.

It's too bad about the tank position and the inverted engine. Any plans to fix it? With proper tank position it would be much more enjoyable. I know the 25 FX is too much engine, but it is very reliable and good throttling if the fuel system is right. I find I only take real pleasure in a model when I have the engine/fuel system working well.

I hope you can manage a little 4 stroke some day. I was lucky enough to get one at a good price and it is a great pleasure to fly with it.

Jim
buzzard bait is online now Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Mar 10, 2011, 01:38 AM
Joined Sep 2003
510 Posts
Jim,
I have been hoarding Whitehead's small Gypsy Moth plans too. An OS 20 FS would be so much suitable for that model.
No I do not plan to fix anything on this Tiggie yet, as I am loathe to butcher the thing. I have couple of small four strokes but I did not have them when I built this Tiggie some 4+ years back.
I think I will live with the current engine/tank arrangment and just be more cautious while flying
Last edited by mchandrayan; Mar 10, 2011 at 01:39 AM. Reason: grammatical corrections
Old Mar 10, 2011, 03:15 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,541 Posts
Beautiful little Tiggy mchandrayan, love the scheme you have chosen. Many years ago I had a .25 size Tiger Moth from a Gee Bee Models kit which, while not as scale as your Whitehead airplane, was a truly wondeful little flying machine. Twenty years later and I still have very fond memories of it. I always said that it flew like a much larger model and did not "flit" at all which can be typical of small scale airplanes. I hope yours provides as much or more enjoyment for you!
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:26 AM
Joined Sep 2003
510 Posts
Thanks Chad, the colour scheme is loosly based on an Australia registered Tiggy. And yes I do enjoy this one
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:25 AM
Joined Sep 2003
510 Posts
How about a bigger cousin for the little Tiggy?
So here are couple of shots of a DB Sport and Scale kit built Tiggy. Power is Magnum 52 Fourstroke and I love this models flying.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:31 AM
Joined Sep 2003
510 Posts
Some more, and if you compare the last pictures of the smaller one and the current one it is uncanny to see the similarities in both the pictures, where the model landed deadstick with a n almost 90 degree cross wind
Last edited by mchandrayan; Jun 09, 2011 at 06:05 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old May 09, 2011, 10:32 PM
Joined Jul 2010
9 Posts
you have done a great job mchandrayan I wish kits of this size were available, as large, big and bigger seem to be the most common nowadays. I have a little magnum 25 that will now find a home, the poor thing has been without work for 20 years.
Again great job and please show more.
bouncecrunch is offline Find More Posts by bouncecrunch
Old Jul 08, 2011, 05:45 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
518 Posts
Now this is spooky guys! I actuallly built its twin without being aware of this thread. I used the same D-EBKT Tiggy colour scheme, it is the same scale and even chose the same pilot. Are you sure you're not my long lost twin mchandrayan? The only difference is that mine is electric.

Here's the link.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1461534
Biggles1 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles1
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Biggles1; Jul 08, 2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 05:56 AM
Joined Sep 2003
510 Posts
Biggles,
Mine was flown for first time on Sep 5, 2010 the very same day the full size crashed in Germany.
When did you first fly yours?
Old Jul 08, 2011, 06:04 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
518 Posts
Only about a fortnight ago. You beat me to it thats for sure. I fell in love with the colour scheme when I was doing some research and didn't know which colours to go with. There are so many yellow or military ones about. I just wanted something different from the usual and this I thought was a pretty classy option. So I can honestly say that you sir, have excellent taste, lol cheers Mark.
Biggles1 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles1
RCG Plus Member