SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 04, 2011, 02:19 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
999 Posts
Discussion
Can anyone help with flying my wing!!

I'm new to flying wings, but have been flying planes and helis for years, just put my new raven wing together and took it out for a couple of test flights, its a right handfull!!! it flys as I would expect at speed but if I try to fly it gently the controls either respond very quickly or not at all, is it just that I have to get used to control response or does anyone think c of g is wrong or set up? I do realise that it needs airspeed over the control surfaces and wing for lift and control but it just seems reeeeeaaaallly hard to fly!!!

Any comments greatfully received! Thanks.
ripmax is offline Find More Posts by ripmax
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2011, 02:41 PM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Rip,
Suggest you double check your CG position and your elevon throws as well. It doesn't take much for either to be out of wack to make these things a handful.

Good luck!
Peter

PS: Also are you trying to fly it too slowly? ie does it handle better when its going at speed?
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:16 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
+1 for your cg, and do you use dual rates on the raven, if your radio has dual rates then set the low rates to 50% and that will calm down the wing, and pm teslahed he had the raven, and could help you, here is his raven http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2481
carl
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:20 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
999 Posts
Elevon throws are set at max as I like lots of control, think u might be right as far as flying too slow, too used to heli and quad flying where u don't need speed over control surfaces for lift and control! Thanks for your reply. Will double check CG.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:26 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
999 Posts
doggit, only have a basic radio no rates and using a separate elevon mixer, thanks for the info
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:00 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
well if you dont have dual rates then you could try this, put your control rod on the highest hole on your sevos, and put the other end of your control rods in the lowest hole of your elevon horns, this should reduce your throws, and allow you more control, flying wings tend to be a right handful on full throws, unless your an expert wing flyer its best to tone down your throws
carl
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:50 AM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,671 Posts
doggit, I think that you reversed the servo and horn holes. What you described would give the most throw on the controls.
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Mar 05, 2011, 01:44 AM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
just realised, hope he has not tried my way yet
carl
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:34 AM
Fail Warrior
Slovenia
Joined Mar 2010
131 Posts
Probably your CG is too far aft if the thing just wiggles in the air. Wings generaly don't like slow flying, so just let it have a decent air speed. Its not helicopter.

And dial down your throws, your "maximum" control is not really working and causing you to actually have less control then with normal throws. Its like having car steering where wheels can turn 90. o.O
T0RN4D0 is offline Find More Posts by T0RN4D0
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:40 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
999 Posts
Thanks all for your comments, think i may have too much control throw, so i will reduce it n give that a go