Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:14 AM
Oh no...hot glue is gone again
Tennessee
Joined Feb 2007
922 Posts
Discussion
What's the best spraypaint for EPP

Sometime this spring I will bring back to life and finish up my 4' span C-130 which has EPS wings and frame, and the outer layer of the fuse is EPP. What would be the best paint for it? Something lightweight that will stay on the foam, without damaging the surface. Thanks for any advice.
catman529 is offline Find More Posts by catman529
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2011, 06:46 PM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
642 Posts
I use Krylon Shortcuts craft paint. It covers well, foam safe, and supposedly light. It is available at the hardware store. Down side a little pricey. You can use Home depot enamel, it is cheaper. Just spray a scape piece first to be sure it does not dissolve.
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:31 PM
Oh no...hot glue is gone again
Tennessee
Joined Feb 2007
922 Posts
Thanks, my 2 main concerns are dissolving the foam and the paint adding too much weight. I will likely just add a single coat of grey paint, just enough to make it look good. Might opt for camo instead but at this point, grey is more likely.
catman529 is offline Find More Posts by catman529
Old Mar 05, 2011, 08:59 AM
Unregulated User
East/Central Florida
Joined Feb 2009
176 Posts
I have found that if you use Winwax polyurethane satin first and spray at least two medium coats (I try to do three) You will then be able to spray the plane with most any type of paint. Try a small section like the inside portion of the wing where it mounts to the fuse. The Minwax poly is very light and adds virtually no weight (grams not oz.) Hope this helps Good luck
MIJohn is offline Find More Posts by MIJohn
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:02 AM
Yeeah buddy!
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
I also use Krylon Shortcuts, they dont melt the foam and cover great.
PinkYakRC is offline Find More Posts by PinkYakRC
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:24 AM
CMelton
USA, NC, Burlington
Joined Jul 2009
320 Posts
there are paints called Krylon h2o that come in many colors that is basically safe for all foams I use this and also use the craft paint and use my airbursh to do it that way.

Chris
cmelton11 is online now Find More Posts by cmelton11
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:27 AM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2010
72 Posts
Another vote for the Krylon's. They seem to dry faster and don't add much weight.
haines74 is offline Find More Posts by haines74
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:44 AM
Yeeah buddy!
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
I have also used Pactra RC paint for RC car bodies. It dries in about 30 seconds and goes on like a dusting; though I still prefer Krylon.
PinkYakRC is offline Find More Posts by PinkYakRC
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:23 AM
Unregulated User
East/Central Florida
Joined Feb 2009
176 Posts
I have used many different paints with all sorts of foam. One paint I have had good luck with on EPP is (Ace Hardware) Fluorscent Paint - Orange Blue Yellow etc. REAL EASY to see in the air - Hope this helps - Good Luck
MIJohn is offline Find More Posts by MIJohn
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:43 AM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,349 Posts
EPP can handle solvent based paints better than EPS
just seal the foam with a coat of Minwax Polycrylic and you can use lacquer based paints without any worries.the downside to Lacquer paint is it will flake and crack when the foam flexes.

the best paint to use with EPP would be urethane paints because they will flex with the foam. be careful not to spray heavy coats and try to spray flat because urethane paint runs like the dickens and has a longer cure time
and you want the paint almost fully cured B4 applying extra coats
but urethane puts down a really nice finish.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan