SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:49 AM
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Feb 2011
157 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone f4u corsair VS Airfield f4u corsair

I was interested in purchasing one of these planes, I think they both have some pretty big pros when looking at them, but some cons that bother also. So I'm putting it to the rcgroups forum to help me decide. Which plane would you buy and why? thanks
Hoopsta17_99 is offline Find More Posts by Hoopsta17_99
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2011, 12:02 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,987 Posts
ParkZone. Plenty of power, flies well, looks great in the air, spare parts readily available, flies off gear or belly-lands well, and it's durable. Mine's at about 110 flights with no problems at all.
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Mar 04, 2011, 12:30 PM
Saskatchewan, Canada
Joined Jan 2011
86 Posts
Parkzone model I think is a little wider which should help more with stability maybe, and the big thing parts are available at a lot of LHS. Plus there is a guy selling some dress up kits for them pretty cheap.
nitris223 is offline Find More Posts by nitris223
Old Mar 04, 2011, 02:42 PM
Joined Feb 2011
157 Posts
nitris223 are you saying the parkzone has a larger wingspan? cause I thought it was 44 inch and that the airfield was like 56 inch?
Old Mar 04, 2011, 02:43 PM
Joined Feb 2011
157 Posts
gradylee how did you mount your horizontal elevator fin? Cause it says to use tape? Isn't that kinda scary flying wise?
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:02 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Dec 2000
82 Posts
I vote for the Airfield 1430mm Corsair. I have one and had considered the Parkzone and am glad I waited and got the Airfield. I love the retracts and sequenced doors. I have the V2 Corsair so I am not happy about the V2 elevator but that will be fixed when spare V1 elevators are once again avail for purchase....(all new kits are shipping with the right elevator from what I understand). The Parkzone is nice but I prefer the Airfield.
Stormbringer is offline Find More Posts by Stormbringer
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:18 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsta17_99 View Post
gradylee how did you mount your horizontal elevator fin? Cause it says to use tape? Isn't that kinda scary flying wise?
I've had mine mounted just with the included tape and never had a problem-- same with the Bf-109G, Extra and T-28. I wouldn't let that dissuade you from the PZ.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:19 PM
Joined Feb 2011
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
I vote for the Airfield 1430mm Corsair. I have one and had considered the Parkzone and am glad I waited and got the Airfield. I love the retracts and sequenced doors. I have the V2 Corsair so I am not happy about the V2 elevator but that will be fixed when spare V1 elevators are once again avail for purchase....(all new kits are shipping with the right elevator from what I understand). The Parkzone is nice but I prefer the Airfield.
So since you have an airfield one, i've heard rumors that its underpowered and sluggish? Since buying your airfield how many repairs have you had to make to it? Any significant replacements like wings or anything?
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:21 PM
Joined Feb 2011
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyLee View Post
I've had mine mounted just with the included tape and never had a problem-- same with the Bf-109G, Extra and T-28. I wouldn't let that dissuade you from the PZ.
So the taping of the horizontal wing was never an issue for you? The parkzone looks like its made out of thinner foam? What do you think
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:40 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,987 Posts
Quote:
So the taping of the horizontal wing was never an issue for you? The parkzone looks like its made out of thinner foam? What do you think
Nope, the taping was never a problem. The horizontal stabilizer does look thin, in "real life", but the only thing I ever did there was crack it when I had the Corsair leaning against the wall, sitting on its nose with the tail against the wall, and I think bumped the plane. Obviously, it's not designed to take my weight plus the plane's! Even then I put some epoxy in the crack and put bi-directional tape (3M) on it and put many flights on the stabilizer after that, again with no problem.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:53 PM
Jacksonville, Fl.
Joined Jan 2010
981 Posts
Quote:
I was interested in purchasing one of these planes, I think they both have some pretty big pros when looking at them, but some cons that bother also. So I'm putting it to the rcgroups forum to help me decide. Which plane would you buy and why? thanks
I have the PKZ Corair. It was my first plane and I still love flying it. I also have two FMS warbirds, the P-47 and the P-51. Nitro sells FMS under the Airfield brand. The FMS planes are well constructed and fly very good. One thing to keep in mind is that when you go from a 40 something wingspan to almost 60 inch span your flying experience is going to change. If you are new to this hobby I would stick with the Park Zone warbird. They are more forgiving in every aspect of flying. The larger FMS/Airfield 1400mm birds require abit more skill. I find the larger aircraft are more scale to fly. I would get the FMS/Airfield Corsiar myself except FMS has just offered a JU 88 Stuka which I have been waiting for, for a very long time.
Strongbow is offline Find More Posts by Strongbow
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:05 PM
Joined Feb 2011
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyLee View Post
Nope, the taping was never a problem. The horizontal stabilizer does look thin, in "real life", but the only thing I ever did there was crack it when I had the Corsair leaning against the wall, sitting on its nose with the tail against the wall, and I think bumped the plane. Obviously, it's not designed to take my weight plus the plane's! Even then I put some epoxy in the crack and put bi-directional tape (3M) on it and put many flights on the stabilizer after that, again with no problem.
So you've never crashed it ever? It flys that good?
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:07 PM
Joined Feb 2011
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
I have the PKZ Corair. It was my first plane and I still love flying it. I also have two FMS warbirds, the P-47 and the P-51. Nitro sells FMS under the Airfield brand. The FMS planes are well constructed and fly very good. One thing to keep in mind is that when you go from a 40 something wingspan to almost 60 inch span your flying experience is going to change. If you are new to this hobby I would stick with the Park Zone warbird. They are more forgiving in every aspect of flying. The larger FMS/Airfield 1400mm birds require abit more skill. I find the larger aircraft are more scale to fly. I would get the FMS/Airfield Corsiar myself except FMS has just offered a JU 88 Stuka which I have been waiting for, for a very long time.
So in a nutshell if I wanted a plane to cruise around and loop, roll, and dive at exciting speeds and be able to recover from them without crashing, the parkzone would be better. Because the airfield or FMS you fly more scale or true to form like a real plane?
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:15 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,987 Posts
Quote:
So you've never crashed it ever? It flys that good?
I've only crashed it once--completely my fault. 3-4 weeks back I was coming out of a dive, wide-open, and thought I'd already come back past the trees that line the park that I fly in most--nope, I was still behind them and hit a branch hard, near where the wing meets the fuselage. It knocked out a piece of foam the size of my hand; the plane flipped upside down, then did a flat spin to the ground into a deep puddle, still going pretty darn fast. I glued the piece of foam back into the wing with Gorilla Glue, slapped a new stabilizer and a new cowl on it, and was back out at the park with it the next weekend. I keep 12-18 planes flyable at any one point, but this is one of my "go-tos."
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:23 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,779 Posts
I would like to try the airfield bird, but fact that props haven't been availible are an issue for me. I imagine they will get some soon. But people will probably scoop them up for other projects leaving nitro out of stock again.
TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW