HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:56 AM
Newcastle Area UK
Joined Jul 2010
66 Posts
Discussion
HENG KUN HK298 Twin Screw Transport Helicoptor (now with 7 minute flight video!)

I posted about ordering this previously for 19.99 delivered from Amazon.co.uk under the name of an XStunt CH47 Chinook(previous thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=xstunt)

Well Scotsoft had given me cause for concern by stating that it looked like i was not buying a Gyro version due to the charger style and TX controller style even though it stated advanced Gyro system in the advert.... I worried and waited for it to arrive.... well it was just delivered and i have the pictures below, i attempted a video but as the wife is at work i made an utter disaster of the first flight and flew it into the camera so i gave up video of flight will have to come later.

i opened the outer Amazon package and was presented with this..

obviously not named XStunt as i expected but named HENG KUN HK298

i turned the box on its side and thought "OH NO, it has the plug in charger"

the back of the box also didnt give me any indication of exact contents either

but sometimes packaging can be deceiving and i turned it back to the front and saw a white label stuck to the plastic box window and i shamelessly did a little tribal dance around the room

inside the box got better still as there was the USB charger lead and a little packet with extra flybar links in it.

So i need not have worried the only thing i noticed that was a fault was that the decals on one side "CARGO TRANSPORT PLANE" is not perfect but i am not complaining for 19.99 with gyro stabilization, it has had its maiden flight and is really good I am very impressed with how easy it is to fly, I had one of the old PicoZ Tandems and that was a nightmare to keep straight and level, this thing just sits and smiles at you like a cat looking at you whilst you drink a glass of milk. It moves steady and sure and the trims work really well, lifting off from floor needs the usual squirt of throttle or it falls over on its side if you try a slow take off but apart from that it gets a big Thumbs up from me.

I did a video of the unpacking (without tribal dance) so will add that once i have edited it.
Rodeown is offline Find More Posts by Rodeown
Last edited by Rodeown; Mar 05, 2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Added video comment to title
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:19 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
I am really very happy that you have one with a gyro .
The transmitter looks different to the Syma ones and the USB cable certainly is a different to the Syma cable which is yellow .
I am looking forward to watching your epic as there is nothing on the telly tonight
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:54 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Looks good, and a bargain at the price you paid. Hurry up with that flight video.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Mar 04, 2011, 12:31 PM
Newcastle Area UK
Joined Jul 2010
66 Posts
Finally i got some time to edit the unpacking video i recorded this morning, hopefully later on or tomorrow i will get a flight video done

HENG KUN HK298 Twin Screw Transport Helicoptor (6 min 28 sec)
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:41 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Very good video showing everything off well .

A couple of things I did find a bit strange

It would appear that your part of the NE seems to be in a war zone judging by the air activity you can hear in the background .

I know there is something like 20 miles distance between you and I but it sounds like Hexham has been transported to the Tropic of Capricorn, all those cicadas sounding off between the helicopter flyovers?

Looking forward to your flight video
Old Mar 04, 2011, 05:26 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
I wonder why we don't see a few tandem non-coaxial 3CH helicopters at the low end?
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Mar 04, 2011, 06:29 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Single rotor tandems would need some sort of gearbox to maintain the sync of the front and rear rotors as they would have to be longer plus "I think" it would have to be collective pitch.

I think they would cost a fair bit and apart from the Syma S026 and S022 there does not seem to be a big following of tandem helis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleT View Post
I wonder why we don't see a few tandem non-coaxial 3CH helicopters at the low end?
Old Mar 04, 2011, 07:27 PM
Newcastle Area UK
Joined Jul 2010
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Very good video showing everything off well .

A couple of things I did find a bit strange

It would appear that your part of the NE seems to be in a war zone judging by the air activity you can hear in the background .

I know there is something like 20 miles distance between you and I but it sounds like Hexham has been transported to the Tropic of Capricorn, all those cicadas sounding off between the helicopter flyovers?

Looking forward to your flight video

Hee hee, as to the war zone i just added some helicoptor sounds to stop my video been so boring.

The cicadas though are actually on the original recording of the video.... we have a bearded dragon lizard and he loves live crickets to eat so we always have some in a tub and they do get noisy at times, strange thing is we are so used to them now we dont notice them lol.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:44 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,685 Posts
Every now and then I drift into the ROOT of the Coaxial helicopter forum when there is nothing happening in "my RcGroups" link, I'm very happy to find a G tandem for under 20 in the uk, I've got about 5 S026 in various conditions but I think in a month or two I'll have to get this non-syma tandem, thanks for bringing it to my attention.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Mar 05, 2011, 06:27 AM
Newcastle Area UK
Joined Jul 2010
66 Posts
I am so impressed with this Chinook that i have just pushed the button to buy a second one! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=5336432818-21

Djdavies83... if i was you i would buy soon as it states it is a "Special Introductory price! Only available for limited period"

when i get my second one i may pull one apart to do a paint job and take a look inside. :-)
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:29 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,685 Posts
Cool, I'll keep watch on that, if you do paint one up be sure to drop into the S026 Mods, repairs paint jobs and other. Thread.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:29 PM
Newcastle Area UK
Joined Jul 2010
66 Posts
I finally got the wife to film a video of flight of this awesome machine, it is a continous 7+ minute flight on a complete charge running from start to finish till the battery protection kicks in with one crash near the end when i got it moving too fast for the room i am flying it in, it even took me by surprise because i didnt realise it could travel that quick, this is one fast little chinook I did various flight tests to show how it handles and I am getting to love it more and more. Hope you all enjoy it & thanks for watching!

Heng Kun HK298 Twin Screw Transport Chinook flight video. (7 min 15 sec)
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:41 PM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
She's zippy! I was surprised at how quickly it shot up in the air upon take-off. Seems very stable too.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Mar 06, 2011, 05:41 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
I am impressed with this Chinook, having a green LED on the underside is different and I enjoyed watching the video, great stuff

They do have a very good turn of speed especially if you give them a few clicks on the forward trim .
Obviously flying backwards is sacrificed by doing this but it is easily changed back again.

I feel I may be taking advantage of this UK based offer
Old Mar 06, 2011, 06:58 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2010
291 Posts
Excellent write-up and video Rodeown......one of these will do me perfect, I recently ordered a S026G from Aliexpress and guess what they sent the non- gyro version even though they show the proper one on the site...

This manufacturer sells quite a few heli's check it out - http://www.hengkuntoy.com/EN/ProductList.aspx - the HK297 looks interesting.

Have you tried flying it using a Syma TX.
Klippie is offline Find More Posts by Klippie