SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:21 PM
Foam Av8r
RogueTitan's Avatar
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Build Log
first Build Value Hobby E450 CCPM 3D Helicopter Kit Metal Version

I got a nice heli from Value Hobby.com
It is the Value Hobby E450 CCPM 3D Helicopter Kit Metal Version (Align T-Rex 450 Compatible)


I am looking forward to getting it and start building it in the next few days.

I am going to use the HK Gyro

and will probably go with a 4000 KV motor from Value hobby
and TP metal gear servos.
I will probably use my 6 CH Art Tech Radio.

After a lot of researching several on line vendors mostly China or Hong Kong I decided to get this model because it looks as good as anything the overseas vendors are offering at a very competitive price in fact i saved a little money and will receive my heli faster buying from a US vendor.

now i am looking forward to seeing the little brown delivery truck to pull up to the house
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Last edited by RogueTitan; Mar 17, 2011 at 04:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2011, 12:04 AM
Registered User
Linker33's Avatar
Boise, ID
Joined Mar 2007
245 Posts
Congrats. That one's been on my list as a possible replacement for the next time I dig a trench with my current heli. Depends on what's in stock at the time. Looks like a good deal though.
Linker33 is offline Find More Posts by Linker33
Last edited by Linker33; Mar 04, 2011 at 12:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 12:33 AM
banging head on wall
skyeblu's Avatar
Joined Feb 2010
1,199 Posts
I have two of these and I have had no problems at all with the kits other than me crashing. Just be sure to locktite metal to metal as always and grease the bearings. all parts fit good the head and tail came out smooth. good luck
Linker it seems there always in stock mine where about $63.00 shipped four days to calif.
skyeblu is online now Find More Posts by skyeblu
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 02:05 AM
Foam Av8r
RogueTitan's Avatar
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Thanks for the replies Fellas

Skyeblu that is really good to know! I thought it looked like a really good kit, I am glad I have some confirmation on that.
and I paid the same for mine as you did. VH is about an 8 hour drive from me so I might possibly have it Saturday or Monday at the latest

what motor did you go with on yours?
I am highly considering the GForce E450 4000 KV motor from Value hobby to start with. at this point I really don't need a high torque motor because I am still a heli noob and still working on the most basic maneuvers (no 3D stuff at all at this point) plus it comes with the pinion gear so that is one extra thing I don't have to order.
I was also thinking about using a 40a ESC for more efficiency of the motor besides I already have one on hand... Any thoughts on that?

I ordered the Detrum GY 48V Head lock Gyro from hobbypartz.com
There were several great reviews on it plus it is here in the US not to mention HobbyParts ships free which is a ++ for me.
(I Don't like buying from HK unless I have to unless they have available stock in their US warehouse but then they still try to gouge you on shipping charges)

I am really looking forward to getting started on this build
Any suggestions on parts recommendations for me to consider would be greatly appreciated just keep in mind I am trying to build this chopper as cheaply as possible.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 07:33 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Congrats, that is identical to my 1st 450 a couple of years ago. It is essentially a HK450 plastic cloned after the TREX450SA. You will eventually want to upgrade the head/tail to metal, I recomend the EXI metal head/tail combo at xheli.com, only $29

You should go for a 3500 kV motor, a 4000 kV motor is toooooo much, you would need a 10T pinion and I don't think that would mesh with the main gear. You want a 3500 kV motor with a 13T pinion. I see you choose the 4000 kV because the 3500 is out of stock

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...24&item_id=341

its worth the wait or you will have to dail back your power curve in your TX and that is hard on your ESC.

I've got a couple of these and they seem pretty good
http://www.targethobby.com/hobbymate...p-4161586.html

Click on my blog, I have links to other motors I have...

congrats and have fun
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 09:34 AM
Foam Av8r
RogueTitan's Avatar
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
the one I bought is the metal upgrade that is the reason why I bought this kit so I wouldn't have to make any upgrades later... hence the name "450-M"M for metal
that motor from Target hobby looks like a good deal that is if the shipping dont eat me up
I like dealing with Hobbypartz too I might wait and see what they get in in the next week or so, I am not ina great big hurry because I still need to do a major cleanup on my work shop and have a couple of airplanes I need to finish but I wouldnt mind getting this whirly bird up in the air for a maiden as soon as I can
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Last edited by RogueTitan; Mar 04, 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:45 AM
Foam Av8r
RogueTitan's Avatar
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post

You should go for a 3500 kV motor, a 4000 kV motor is toooooo much, you would need a 10T pinion and I don't think that would mesh with the main gear. You want a 3500 kV motor with a 13T pinion.
you will have to dail back your power curve in your TX and that is hard on your ESC.
OK educate me a little here.
A 4000 KV motor has less torque than a 3500 KV so why would that be too much besides I will not be using WOT for FFF, I will pretty much be using enough throttle to get it off the ground 10 feet or so and slow forward/reverse and pitch maneuvers for now.
so that said I don't understand why I would need to dial back my power curve besides the 40A ESC would be more efficient than the 30A thus putting less strain on the ESC while making the motor run more efficient.
I am an old timer plane guy so my thinking is there is not any difference in the power train setups like thrust to weight differential
I thought the reason everyone is using the lower KV motors is because the higher torque for 3D maneuverability.
Like I stated I am a heli noob so I will need some things explained to me
I should be able to learn a lot about power train and electronics setups during this building process.

another thing I am curious about is tail servos, what exactly is the difference between a tail rotor servo and a common servo... do they have a faster response or higher torque rating etc... what makes them so special to have a designated purpose?

Is there any reason why I should not use a common servo and why should I use a tail rotor servo instead?
Please keep in mind that I will not be doing any aerobatics with this heli for quite some time so would that make any difference?
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:16 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Piper J3's Avatar
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,406 Posts
Servos / Gyro Suggestion

I am flying three 450 helis with 9G EXI Digital Metal Gear Servo D213F ($7.70 ea @ Xheli). I use them for cyclic and tail. My flying style is all FF circuits. In addition I use the GA250 MEMS gyro from HobbyKing @ $10.00 ea. The combination works great and very economical.
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:19 AM
Foam Av8r
RogueTitan's Avatar
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
I was actually looking at those when I bought the Gyro from them
thanks
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:29 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan View Post
the one I bought is the metal upgrade that is the reason why I bought this kit so I wouldn't have to make any upgrades later... hence the name "450-M"M for metal
that motor from Target hobby looks like a good deal that is if the shipping dont eat me up
I like dealing with Hobbypartz too I might wait and see what they get in in the next week or so, I am not ina great big hurry because I still need to do a major cleanup on my work shop and have a couple of airplanes I need to finish but I wouldnt mind getting this whirly bird up in the air for a maiden as soon as I can
yep, that is what you typed, the picture is a plastic version.

Target Hobby has pretty decent shipping, they always tell you when you are starting the confirm order phase, bought lots of stuff, sometimes it is a bit slow.
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:47 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan View Post
OK educate me a little here.
A 4000 KV motor has less torque than a 3500 KV so why would that be too much besides I will not be using WOT for FFF, I will pretty much be using enough throttle to get it off the ground 10 feet or so and slow forward/reverse and pitch maneuvers for now......
You should look up headspeed calculator, lots of folks have programmed those so you don't need to reinvent the thing

A 4000 kV motor (90% efficent) with a 150 T main gear and 13T pinion will give you a headspeed of ~3500 RPM, that is an insane headspeed for all but extreme 3D pilots. It will sound VERY intimatiting. My trainer 450s have measured headspeed of ~2900 RPM, I think that sounds pretty wild but I suspect many would call me a chicken. My calculator says a 3500 kV motor with 13T pinion will give ~3000 RPM HS. Clearly I am not getting 90% efficency since I am topping out ~2900 a mid-throttle.

As for not going to full throttle, some advanced pilots set idle 2 at 100-100-100.

Here are finless bob's howtos on helifreak....completely awsome and free
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:52 AM
Foam Av8r
RogueTitan's Avatar
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
yep, that is what you typed, the picture is a plastic version.

Target Hobby has pretty decent shipping, they always tell you when you are starting the confirm order phase, bought lots of stuff, sometimes it is a bit slow.
Ya I noticed that too after taking a better look at the picture
they may want to update that picture on their website.

I sent an Email asking when the 3500 KV motor might be in stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
You should look up headspeed calculator, lots of folks have programmed those so you don't need to reinvent the thing

A 4000 kV motor (90% efficent) with a 150 T main gear and 13T pinion will give you a headspeed of ~3500 RPM, that is an insane headspeed for all but extreme 3D pilots. It will sound VERY intimatiting. My trainer 450s have measured headspeed of ~2900 RPM, I think that sounds pretty wild but I suspect many would call me a chicken. My calculator says a 3500 kV motor with 13T pinion will give ~3000 RPM HS. Clearly I am not getting 90% efficency since I am topping out ~2900 a mid-throttle.

As for not going to full throttle, some advanced pilots set idle 2 at 100-100-100.

Here are finless bob's howtos on helifreak....completely awsome and free
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692
Thanks a lot for that info! there some things that I did not take into consideration. so what about a lower KV than 3500 per say?
I will most definitely be reading up.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Last edited by RogueTitan; Mar 04, 2011 at 12:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:15 PM
Foam Av8r
RogueTitan's Avatar
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Cheezin real big right now

I got an Email this morning titled Your Value Hobby Order Has Shipped
WooHoo should be here by Monday
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 07:33 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
cool if that includes the 4000kV motor shoot for an 11T pinion. That should give you a headspeed of ~2900 RPM. When you become a 3d maniac you can upgrade to a 13T and get ~3500 RMP
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 09:29 PM
Registered User
Linker33's Avatar
Boise, ID
Joined Mar 2007
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan View Post
another thing I am curious about is tail servos, what exactly is the difference between a tail rotor servo and a common servo... do they have a faster response or higher torque rating etc... what makes them so special to have a designated purpose?

Is there any reason why I should not use a common servo and why should I use a tail rotor servo instead?
Please keep in mind that I will not be doing any aerobatics with this heli for quite some time so would that make any difference?

Yep, mainly just faster response time. You see decent servos for cyclic with response times of .10-.13. Tail servos, your looking for around .05-.08.

This one is pretty cheap and seems to get good reviews. I got one, but crappy weather has prevented me from really testing it.
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...63&item_id=348
Linker33 is offline Find More Posts by Linker33
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Building my first 450 heli techman28 Mini Helis 7 Dec 19, 2010 01:14 AM
Discussion Just pulled the trigger on two of these from Hobby City scorpion1 Racing Boats - Electric 50 Jul 23, 2010 09:16 PM
Discussion Can i use the AR 6100 on my 450 size heli.. ourbail Radios 5 Feb 21, 2009 11:08 PM
Discussion Pulled Trigger on, Belt CP Rascal9886 Mini Helis 3 Mar 27, 2008 05:15 PM
Yippee! Just pulled the trigger on the MX-400 Pro $89.99!! Sky_Dancer Mini Helis 1 Dec 02, 2007 06:40 PM