HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2011, 05:48 PM
USA, MA, Braintree
Joined Nov 2010
7 Posts
Build Log
Former Coast Guard 41 UTB In Styrene.

Got this semi Kit from Tsenecal on this forum and figured I would post up some progress pics to keep me motivated.
Tims build thread is here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=774053&page=4

I have the Dumas 1/32 Coast guard kit and wasnt as comfortable building with wood, as I have been building plastic models since I was a kid.

Probably going to build it as a shelf model for now. No motors or R/C

Im building her as a police boat my local PD uses
The former Coast Guard 41377, now the police boat "Guardian".

This is one of the hulls Tim sent me. Very nice vacuum foming work.
was very impressed.

After trimming the excess, I decided to reproduce the rub rail that goes around the hull using 1/4 inch half round styrene from plastruct. looks spot on the 1/1 boat and does a good job of covering where the upper and lower hull meet.

The half round was easy to bend around the hull. The holes needed to be drilled after it was bent or the tight corners on the stern caused thenm to snap off.

I made a jig out of one piece of half round, and used that to drill all the holes with a drill bit in a pin vise. they are not perfect, but I was happy with the results.

You can see the rub rail in this 41 pic

You can see the front here. I was carefull to keep the joints in the pieces in the propper places.

I used styrene tubing to make the docking light trim and holders.

More styrene tubing to make the exhaust pipes.
sln583 is offline Find More Posts by sln583
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2011, 06:01 PM
USA, MA, Braintree
Joined Nov 2010
7 Posts

Tim sent some templates, but I found it easier to use the wood pieces from the Dumas Kit and cut out all the cabin pieces out of .030 Styrene sheets.

I used .015 x .060 styrene strips to make the window frames, and I cut all the plastic glass to fit. This is a lot easier to do before the cabin goes together because the pieces are still flat.

Starting to build up the cabin

Judging from the fit of things, its going to take a lot of cutting and trimming to get the cabin together.

More to come...
sln583 is offline Find More Posts by sln583
Last edited by sln583; Mar 03, 2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 03, 2011, 10:28 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,574 Posts
I love it, its nice to see one of my "babies" being built.
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal