HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2011, 03:51 PM
Joined Feb 2011
153 Posts
video of the yellow-rc-poster-kite

vector kite your life 33 yellow rc poster kite (1 min 47 sec)
Vectorflyer is offline Find More Posts by Vectorflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:46 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,511 Posts
Another great kite!!!
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: flying penguin
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:56 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2 Posts
Just registered and the first thing I want to do is thank everyone who is contributing their experience and information to this forum. I've been reading all the threads over and over. As an oldtime RC sailplane enthusiast and as a long time kite builder/flyer I must admit this "new" approach of combining the two hobbies has peaked my interest. I think I'm "hooked." Of course I have a veritable deluge of questions but I'll wait to ask them until I have a better knowledge base. Oh man do I have a LOT of kites waiting to be converted. Again, thanx guys!
IOldgoatI is offline Find More Posts by IOldgoatI
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:41 AM
USA, TN, Collierville
Joined Jun 2010
13 Posts
I must echo 1OLDGOAT1's comments. I have been monitoring RC Kites for some time now, have really learned a lot & am totally hooked on the concept! By the way, the closest I've come to RC previously was as a kid w/my control line Cox powered plane! We're talking 50-60 years ago. I have a cheap delta kite & partially completed home built vector unit which I intend to share here eventually.
glsmith1544 is offline Find More Posts by glsmith1544
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Feb 2011
153 Posts
black vector stealth

summer time in europe, time to fly vectorkites after work.
my new vectorkite is working with the new 840 unit from premier (www.premierrc.com). The black-vector-stealth is very easy to fly and it is possible to fly rolls and loops and combinations of both.
the stealth is based on a slime line delta shape. i cut a big hole in the nose of the kite, so the vector unit is always getting fresh air from all sides. works great, and looks futuristic in the sky.
enjoy first pictures.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:16 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,511 Posts
looks fast!
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: flying penguin
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Nov 2007
28 Posts
Vectorflyer

Can you provide details on how to build the yellow vector poster kite in post #43. I am looking for the dimensions of the carbon fiber rods,the connectors used and the type of fabric. This looks like something I could build and seems very interesting. Also do you know the weight of this kite? Could a blue wonder motor be used with this design? The 20g 1300 Kv Blue Wonder is said to produce 400 g of thrust on a 3 cell battery with a 8x4 prop (if I am reading the specs correctly). I am not sure how that compares to the motor you are using on the 2D unit. Do you think a 2:1 thrust to weight is ok for a kite or is more thrust needed?
xheli_d is offline Find More Posts by xheli_d
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Feb 2011
153 Posts
hi xheli,
thanks for interrest.
the weight of the yellow vectorposter is 92 g (kite only), RTF not more than 300 g.
your motor seems to be a very good solution.
my motor has about 450g trust, weight 24g, lipo 3cell 750mAh
keelrod 4mm carbontube
2 x front rods 4mm carbontube
dehidral: exel-part 4mm
2 x back sticks: 3mm carbon
fabric: spinnaker 50g/qm (not important, use spinnaker you get)

important: the keelrod must have a bow/curve to create pitch !!!
by "fit in" the powerunit to the kite (with strings) the keelrod will
show a curve automatic.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Nov 2007
28 Posts
Vectorflyer,

Thanks for your reply. I have just a few more questions (right now anyway LOL )
On the yellow vectorposter do you have carbon tubes along the sides or just at the front and rear?
It looks like the string in the front helps keep the power unit in place and creates the bow/curve that is needed. Is the string in the rear used to prevent twisting?
Are the 2 curved rods starting at the front of the power unit and running to the rear edge of the kite, used to support the power unit also? I would guess those are 3 mm also like the rear rods

This is really interesting and seems like something I can build. I will have to order those kite connectors
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:46 AM
Joined Feb 2011
153 Posts
xheli,
thanks for interrest.
no tubes in the ends of the sail (front, side, back), only 5 tubes for the complete kite.
the front-strings from right and left side to the keel nose helps to tighten the sail.
the carbonrods (3mm) from the end of unitframe to the back are also for opening the sail.
the front-strings from right and left to the top of the vectorunit are the complete connection for the power unit. the powerunit is connected with rubber-connectors (kite-shop) on the keeltube.
the backstring makes the kite stable, protects twisting.
if you shorten the backstring, the kite flies more stable and creates more pitch.

vectorkites are very crash-resistend, so you can make your own tests for finding your perfect setup on the flying flield.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined Nov 2007
28 Posts
Vectorflyer

I have another question about your yellow vector-poster kite. What connector(s) did you use to join the 4 mm keel tube and the 3 mm rods (2) that are used to keep the sail open?
Also, have you used other materials for kite sails on a vector kite?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Feb 2011
153 Posts
hi x-heli
use a 6-8 cm long fuel or water tubing (silicon or neopren or flexible plastic) and cut a hole in the middle for the 4mm keel rood.
you can build a posterkite with tesa and a plasticbag from your favorite discounter, thats not so longlife as ripstop nylon but works!