HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:54 PM
Joined Oct 2006
31 Posts
Discussion
ESM Warbirds

Does anyone have anything good / bad to say about ESM Warbirds??? I've heard a little of both....the have some awesome looking 80" offerings. Comments????

Geffen
geffen928 is offline Find More Posts by geffen928
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2011, 03:02 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
I want one. I just can't decide on which one!

In reality I'm not sure I'm ready for space requirements. (To fly and to store them)
But I'm working up in size to see if that's really the direction I want to go.
TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Mar 03, 2011, 03:26 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,551 Posts
They're very good for the money. A notch above CMP stuff but of course a little more pricey but very reasonable for what you get. If you have done a couple conversions then it's pretty straight forward, otherwise there are tons of build threads here.

I do prefer to use Sierra Giant gear vs their plane specific stuff but I hear their newer retracts are much better. In fact, a buddy of mine took a chance on their Corsair gear. After seeing the kind of abuse they took i got a pair for my ESM 109.

I'm building the BF 110 now and the covering/build is very good. I like their wide selection of warbirds. They're not perfect, but most scale nuts can make their mods rather easily as they're great airframes to start with.

They fly extremely well too..
HKing_PwnsMe is offline Find More Posts by HKing_PwnsMe
Old Mar 03, 2011, 03:59 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
I think the above statement pretty much sums up ESM warbirds.

As far as ARFs go, I think they are probably the closest you will get to scale at that price range and they have less modeled planes like the Typhoon, LA-7, BF-110, DO-335, etc.
They lend themselves very well to scale modications too. There are quite a few scale parts on the market for these birds from cockpit kits, cannons, canopies, etc.

I am building a Hawker Typhoon which is probably 70% complete and a Hurricane (yet to be touched) and the quality and fit & finish is very good. I certainly wouldn't hestitate to purchase another; actually I plan on building the LA-7 next winter.

Being fairly new to the large scale converison scene (I have only built 3 so far) I found that the ESM planes require a bit more work to assemble compared to warbirds offered by Hyperion, Hanger 9, VQ Model, or Seagull Model.

Cheers,
Peter
Orvis is offline Find More Posts by Orvis
Old Mar 03, 2011, 03:59 PM
Amped UP!
Saint Cloud FL
Joined Jan 2007
705 Posts
When you consider the size of the birds and how they look it seems like a no-brainer for a larger ARF model. I have been thinking about the BF-109, for less than $300 I'm interested in making it E-powered.
AR1516 is offline Find More Posts by AR1516
Old Mar 03, 2011, 05:45 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Ive got several ESM warbirds. Two ME-109E's, 1 ME-110, 1 95" B-25, 1 FW-190, and 1 P-51B. All of them fly very well.
They are not hangar 9 like builds, but they can be built relatively quickly once you see how they are done.

I have used both Sierra giant and the newer ESM gear on mine. The only thing I ever had to do with the ESM gear to get them to be reliable was to put silicon tape on the threads inside of the air cylinder. Once I did that, they work fine and hold air forever.

One note....please be VERY sure of the CG. Some of the manuals are listing the CG's too far aft.
The ME-109E should be at 110mm-116mm. No further back then 116. Much more stable at 112mm then 116. Some have flown them at 120mm, but are VCERY pitch sensitive and may snap hard on you.

The P-51B and D should have the cg closer to 125mm. Manual in mine said 157mm which is WAY too far aft.

The ME-110 should be further back then the manual. I believe it sats 85mm, but should be around 130mm.
Same for the B-25. It is listed at 85mm, but should be about 110-115.
Just check various thread here or on RCU to get the CG of what others have used before maidening.

The new 50CC size ones that arebeing released are by far better then any other arf on the market today in that size range. The Do-335 is a real nice plane as is the FW-90 D9 and the upcoming 86" ME-109G6
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:15 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,551 Posts
Geffen,

I'm just curious, which ESM kit are you looking into? Though they all share some basic characteristics, some are better than others. If you give us an idea as to which plane you're interesed in, those that have done the build will probably chime in. Additionally, you'll probably get some great kit specific advice before you purchase one or start a build.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 10:47 PM
Joined Oct 2006
31 Posts
The T28, PC-21, Bonanza Vtail piqued my interest at present. All w/ electric power of course.

Geffen
Old Mar 04, 2011, 07:03 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,551 Posts
lol... wow. You picked a couple kits I've rarely seen converted..
Old Mar 05, 2011, 03:09 PM
Joined Oct 2006
31 Posts
Sarcasm?????
Old Mar 05, 2011, 06:35 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geffen928 View Post
Sarcasm?????
Nope... while there aren't many ESM Conversions.. the ones you like are even more rare. But to be honest, most of the ESM warbirds that I've worked on (Corsair, 109, 110, Hurri and the AT-6) have the same quality of build so if you've done a conversion on even a CMP plane you should be alright since they all have similar challenges when it comes to conversions. From what I hear the T-28 flys fantastic on a 160 equiv (Monster 160 from Hobbypartz or an Eflite Power 160).

As for ESCs, I use Common Sense HV ESCs (when they're on sale) since I subscribe to their mailing list I can give you a heads up. I've also used Hobbywing's HV ECSs with good luck but the Common Sense ESCs seem to be of a higher quality.

Overall ESM warbirds are great, their manuals are pretty good... but Kahloq brought up a good point about CG. Where I ended up setting my BF-110 and 109's cg were nowhere near where the manual recommended. So that may be one area where you'll have to research a bit.

Unfortunately.. i haven't heard of anyone doing the PC-21 conversion.. but considering the specs, it should fly fine on a 110-160 equiv with a good HV ESC and 10 cell setup.

Either way I'd love to see a build thread if you decide to do one.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 08:44 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Mackone did a conversion on the Pilatus
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=123902
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:44 PM
Joined Oct 2006
31 Posts
Thanks for the input...I've alway like the unusual....be it airplanes, cars, etc. I noticed that shipping was a bit salty on these....I wonder if Troybuiltmodels would shipusing my ups account number...we've got some very good rates.

Geffen
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:53 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,347 Posts
How slow can say a FW-190 land? Our club runway is rather short and it's already challenging to land a 60 size Hanger9 type warbird. Not sure if these larger/heavier birds can land.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Mar 06, 2011, 02:50 AM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,551 Posts
The 190 is probably one of the better landing ESM birds, with full flaps I've seen some rather slow approaches..

However.. if a 60 sized H9 plane is tough to land there.. I'd recommend against it.

Just my thoughts..