Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by mikmerl, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:22 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
445 Posts
Discussion
Vario Bell 47g

It flies well and is quite realistic in the air.
Vario Bell 47g II gasser Athens Greece (3 min 18 sec)

I purchased this helicopter a couple of months ago as an unfinished project. When I had the opportunity to inspect it closely I realized that a complete strip down and rebuild was in order.
The engine was “finished” as the piston and liner were badly scored it was also a very old version so I purchased a new RC230 and a new Vario muffler. I had to modify the bottom plate of the mechanics to accept the newer version of engine as well.
The mechanics too were well used and required attention (complete rebuild) fortunately the rest of the Bell 47 kit components were new and of course in good condition.
Since I had the machine down to bare bones I decided that I would prefer a different paint scheme to the one that had been previously applied and opted for a version that served with Heliswiss in the 50’s.
The Bell 47 lends (demands) itself to some detail in the cockpit as it is very visible through the gold fish bowl canopy so I shopped around for some suitable attire and helmets for the figures I had and constructed a floor, seats, pedals etc. It is not intended to be a competition but rather a stand off (way off) fun scale helicopter.

I would like to try the Vario scale head at some point but wonder how it handles.

Flying weight is around 9,35kg
Radio is JR DX9 2.4gHz w/Spektrum receiver,
3 servo CCPM (3 JR digital servos)
JR 8900g tail servo with Spartan gyro
RotorTech 810mm scale blades

mike
mikmerl is offline Find More Posts by mikmerl
Last edited by mikmerl; Mar 03, 2011 at 02:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:54 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
968 Posts
Very stable looking machine.

With a quieter muffler that rotor system would sound wicked.
Cougar429 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar429
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:24 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
445 Posts
Cougar you are correct.
I would like the helicopter to be a bit more silent but I cannot add another muffler without detracting from the scale outline of the model. Still the full size version uses a vertically mounted 250-300hp piston Lycoming engine with very rudimentary muffling so the noise levels are quite high there as well.
I have another two large scale Vario helicopters with four blade heads that I have converted to electric power and the sound from these large rotors is very close to their full scale counterparts. At the same time the sound of a high revving electric motor within a closed fuselage approaches that of a turbine.

mike
mikmerl is offline Find More Posts by mikmerl