HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2011, 12:41 PM
Joined Dec 2010
58 Posts
Discussion
Tiny Brite Lights Review 2022a (HZ Champ installed)

OK, so I have tried 4 different times to install TBLs on my mCX S300 and mSR. Each install has resulted in dead lights, fried motors, poor flight dynamics, broken connectors and even a dead 5 in 1.

When I got my HZ Champ I swore I wouldn't try to put lights on it, but night flying is so much fun that I couldn't resist.

So was it a good fit? YES. GET THEM NOW.

I installed the micro light kit 2022a for parkzone vapor. Since the Champ doesn't have any extra channels for lights, the TBL kit needs to plug in via the battery connector. This means the lights will be always on. No big deal since they don't really draw much power.

The kit includes red and green nav lights, two landing lights (white) a flashing red strobe and a flashing white strobe. The lights are not very visible during the day, but at dusk and at night they are very bright.

The light kit weighs about 2.5 - 3 grams when you figure in tape needed to secure the lights. It has had NO effect on the flight characteristics of my Champ. This was a surprise to me as the corresponding Heli kit had such a HUGE effect on my mCX and mSR.

To install this kit you will have to cut open your airplane, so have some clear storage tape ready to seal it back up and afix the lights to the fuselage. Use the tape sparingly as you don't want to add too much extra weight to you plane.

The only upgrade I would make would be to add some heat shrink to the battery connector (see my second video below) as this wore out on my heli kits quickly. I have flown over 100 flights with my TBL champ lights and haven't had any cable breakage.

The only downside to this kit is that as the battery dies (after 6 or 7 minutes) the green light starts to dim. I use this as my indicator that it is time to come in for a landing.

When its calm out and above freezing (35+ degrees) I get about 9 to 12 minutes of flight using the stock 150mah batteries. I have gotten over 15 once, so the flight times aren't affected by the lights.

I would recommend this kit to anyone. It has totally revived my faith in TBL.

Enjoy the vids!

Arthur Chapman
http://www.artkatphotography.com
http://www.artkatpc.com
Vbluguitar is offline Find More Posts by Vbluguitar
Last edited by Vbluguitar; Mar 03, 2011 at 12:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2011, 12:43 PM
Joined Dec 2010
58 Posts
Hobbyzone Champ with Tiny Brite Lights in flight (2 min 43 sec)
Old Mar 03, 2011, 12:44 PM
Joined Dec 2010
58 Posts
Tiny Brite Lights Review - Installed on Hobbyzone Champ RTF (1 min 56 sec)
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:28 PM
Lansdowne, Pa
Joined May 2010
233 Posts
I have the same light set that I put on a Parkzone UM J-3 cub.

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...=j-3lights.mp4
akozols is online now Find More Posts by akozols
Old Mar 04, 2011, 01:30 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbluguitar View Post
OK, so I have tried 4 different times to install TBLs on my mCX S300 and mSR. Each install has resulted in dead lights, fried motors, poor flight dynamics, broken connectors and even a dead 5 in 1.
What? How did that happen? I have a TBL set on my PZ Cub, PZ P51 and Blade MCX and have had no trouble at all.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Mar 07, 2011, 02:27 PM
Joined Dec 2010
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akozols View Post
I have the same light set that I put on a Parkzone UM J-3 cub.

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...=j-3lights.mp4
Sweet! Gotta love the looks. I love flying at night, and these little planes are great because it is easy to keep them close with the lights!
Old Mar 07, 2011, 02:39 PM
Joined Dec 2010
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
What? How did that happen? I have a TBL set on my PZ Cub, PZ P51 and Blade MCX and have had no trouble at all.
OK, first the mCX problems

Set one - Worked for about 1 week, did reduce flight time from 7-8 minutes down to 4-5 minutes (hover at 2/3 throttle rather than 1/2 kills the batteries alot faster). Connector broke.

Set two - Replacement from Tiny Bright Lights. Worked for one week. Died (no lights)

Set three - Relacement from TBL. Custom kit designed to be soldered in to the heli. Worked great for a while, because of the removal of the battery connector the kit weighed less and my flight times went back up to about 6 minutes. Connector eventually broke loose from the main board and I fried my 5-in-1 trying to resolder it!!! Parted out my MCX on ebay and sold the light kit.

I now have an mCX2 with included nav lights (though not as cool as the TBLs, they always work). I converted it to an S300 body and it works great.

mSR problems-

Needless to say, after my issues with the TBL for mCX I was leary of buying a set for my mSR (which I bought to replace the mCX) but I couldn't resist... I lOVE LIGHTS. Its a problem, really.

I got the kit in and installed it. It looked AWESOME. I took off and realized that I had to keep the thottle at 75% just to maintain a hover!!! after 14 flights my main motor failed. I bought a new one and after 17 flights the connector broke. I returned the kit for a refund and swore off TBLs forever (yeah right!).

The mSR is still lightless, but that is OK because it was a handful to fly at night, even with the lights. Its kinda squirly.

Hope that makes more sense anyway!
Old Mar 07, 2011, 02:48 PM
Joined Dec 2010
58 Posts
Here is video of my mCX2 s300 with nav lights (located at about 1:00 to 1:30) next to my friend Wes's V200DQ01. Talk about night lights!!!

Walkera V200DQ01 Flight Review (4 min 52 sec)

And here is my original mCX with the TBL kit installed that died.

Blade MCX S300 with AWESOME upgrades (2 min 45 sec)
Old Apr 18, 2011, 06:06 AM
Jimfrisky
United States, CA, Simi Valley
Joined Jan 2001
428 Posts
I SEE Tiny Brite Lights 2022a On Ebay where else can you get them can't seem to find ?
JIMFRISKY is offline Find More Posts by JIMFRISKY
Old May 04, 2011, 08:25 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,545 Posts
I have two of the original #2022 sets, installed on Ember 2's. Work great, never had a problem. At dusk, the lights really stand out. On indoor events, the lights show up fine under interior lighting. Will be adding the 2022a sets, most likely, to my Champ and Cub.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old May 10, 2011, 08:10 AM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,478 Posts
I,ve tried emailing tiny bright lights but have gotten no response. Are they still in business?
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old May 10, 2011, 11:22 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
They have great products, but their customer service is the absolute worst on the planet. Don't expect your emails or phone calls to get answered, ever. Will not go into details, but after 4/5 weeks, I finally received my lights. The other TBL sets that I have bought were tracked down at hobby shops that carry them. I will not order direct again. Too much hassle, and I don't like to be fibbed to.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old May 11, 2011, 02:22 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,478 Posts
Boy, that sure makes ordering some a problem. Thats really too bad they have to be that way.
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Jun 03, 2011, 01:21 PM
Joined Dec 2010
58 Posts
It looks like the are no longer taking direct orders. Maybe they got some kind of distribution deal. Sometimes when you get too big too fast, the result is poor customer service because they can't keep up with demand. Hopefully they are finding a solution and not going out of business.
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:28 AM
Joined Oct 2004
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbluguitar View Post
It looks like the are no longer taking direct orders. Maybe they got some kind of distribution deal. Sometimes when you get too big too fast, the result is poor customer service because they can't keep up with demand. Hopefully they are finding a solution and not going out of business.
If anyone knows of, or finds somewhere we can order tiny brite lights from while their online store is down, please post here...dying to put the 2022a set on my new Champ, but have searched and searched online to no avail for them...thanks!
newflyer100 is offline Find More Posts by newflyer100