HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:29 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
Build Log
Balsa USA Bristol M.1C becomes a M.1D

Peter Rake's Bristol M.1C was featured in the August 08 issue of Flying Scale Models. In addition to Pat's (Maltone) excellent build article and the In Detail pictures, the Type History included two pictures of the M.1D. I was intrigued by the red and black paint job and by the lack of a big honking spinner .
According to Colin Owers, "After the Armistice, Bristol bought four M.1 monoplanes back from the Aircraft Disposal Board and refurbished them as sporting aircraft for private use. All armament was removed and the wing root cutouts were covered over. One was an M.1B which was modified to take a 100 hp three cylinder Bristol Lucifer radial engine as the Bristol M.1D. This aircraft received the registration G-EAVP.... Painted a brilliant "Cellon red" overall with black nose and tail and white registration, the M.1D made its racing debut in April 1922 at Croydon where Cyril F. Unwins flew it to third and second places in the first two races, averaging just over 100 mph. In August Larry Carter won the Aerial Derby in the M.1D. On its next entry it suffered engine trouble and Rollo de Haga Haig had to withdraw.
The M.1D was entered in the Grosvenor Cup Race which was flown on 23 July 1923. A specially tuned Lucifer of 140 hp was mounted for this race and the M.1D was the favourite of the nine entrants. Flown by Major E.L. 'Leslie' Foot, the M.1D was making good progress, however when Foot made a required landing at Filton, he complained of being affected by petrol fumes. A leak in the fuel tank was repaired and Foot took off as he stood a good chance of winning the race. Flying low at full throttle the M.1D was seen to dive into the ground and burst into flames. The cause of the accident was never discovered, but it is thought to have been the failure of the tail or the flying wires and apparently not due to the faulty fuel tank. Foot's death so upset
the Company that Bristol withdrew the Bristol Type 82 Bullet which was to have been Foot's mount, from the 1923 Aerial Derby".

Tim
Newtron is offline Find More Posts by Newtron
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:49 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
The Balsa USA Bristol M.1C is a semi-scale kit. It is an old school die cut kit and includes balsa, ply, pre-bent landing gear, hardware and an ABS cowl. You provide the motor, wheels and covering. The kit was designed for IC and has a wingspan of 60", a wing area of 650 sq in and an expected weight of 6+ lbs.
Because I'm going electric, I'm building it a bit lighter (I hope!).

Tim
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:10 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
I've been working on the M.1D for about a month now and here's my progress.
The wing is simple enough. 2 halves built of balsa ribs, spars, LEs and TEs and connected by ply braces.
The fuselage starts off as a box and stick crutch and then square stringers are added to get that distinctive M.1x shape.
The tail feathers in the kit are made from solid 1/4" balsa. I decided to go with sticks to try to lighten up the rear. Though any weight savings is probably negated by my attempt at a more scalish landing skid.

Tim
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:15 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
The easy part is now done.
Now for my first question. The manual is thorough enough for the build but very skimpy on the finishing. The stringers are glued on with a "diamond" orientation. How much should I sand them before covering? Just a bit? Halfway down? Or somewhere in between?

Tim
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:39 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,518 Posts
That's pretty good progress for a month. Looking forward to seeing the maiden flight.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:35 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,439 Posts
Nice Job Tim.

Quote:
How much should I sand them before covering? Just a bit? Halfway down? Or somewhere in between?
Just a bit. But somewhere, unless you are going to cover in one piece, you are going to have to add some meat for the covering edges to adhere to. At least I would have thought you would.

Maltone can probably give you some advice on this score.

Cheers,

Hugh
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV
Old Mar 03, 2011, 10:27 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
Thanks Kevin and Hugh.
Kevin consider yourself invited but you're going to have to make that long drive to Litchfield.
Hugh, I checked PRake's plans and he put the stringers in squarely. D'uh, if I had given it any fore thought I could easily have knotched the formers and put the stringers in square. I suppose I could cut them off and do a redo. I don't want to sand too much and weaken the stringers but I definitely want some wood to attach the covering to especially after seeing how Pat was doing his MS A1 covering.
The last few days I've been "working" on the cowl exhaust pipes. I tried to heat and bend styrene tubes but couldn't control the process. Now I'm trying styrofoam/fiberglass/epoxy.

Tim
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:50 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,652 Posts
Tim,
You could leave your stringers as they are and cover the first panel lapping the covering over the edges of the stringers, to get a firm bond. Then, pretty much as Pat has done, overlap onto that panel with the next one, along one edge, and repeat the lapping round at the other edge. The final panel would just overlap the panels on either side.

Or you could have started with a decent M1c in the first place.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Mar 04, 2011, 09:33 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Or you could have started with a decent M1c in the first place.
Pete
How right you are Pete. I lost track of the times I said to myself "This could be so much better if Pete would design a 1/6th M.1C." I suppose it is too late now.
I have to admit that although I am waiting patiently for your 60" Pfalz E1, it is wearing thin.

Tim
Old Mar 04, 2011, 09:49 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,780 Posts
Tim, if my current build of the MS AI works, I may be tempted to upsize Pete's 1/8? plan to 1/6 - should make a nice model.

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2011, 02:53 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,652 Posts
Tim,
Why are you waiting for the Pfalz, I need someone to prototype it and Charlie has the files.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:49 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
The Lucifer engine (at least the parts that stick out of the cowl) is done. I still need to dirty it up but I think it looks the part. It certainly took longer than I expected. And it is heavier than I expected. I'll wait until I have a better idea of the AUW to determine if it needs to go on a diet.
After a few false starts, I ended up making the ring out of glassed Styrofoam, the pipes are bent styrene and the cylinders are balsa and ply.
All in all that big spinner I wanted to avoid probably would have been quicker to make.

Next I'm going to concentrate on the wing. I need to finish up the aileron linkages and decide if I'm going to install shear webbing on the main spar.

Tim
Old Apr 30, 2011, 05:32 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
The basic covering is done. I copied Pat and put the covering on in sections. I initially sectioned it in half lengthwise and in fourths widthwise but because of kinks and folds ended up going thirds and eighths. I still have some kinks but I can't afford to redo it because I used Ultracote . I love these larger models but they certainly require many rolls of covering.
I still need to dress it up and make the connections then it is ready to fly.

Tim
Old Apr 30, 2011, 06:06 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,518 Posts
That looks great. I like the red. Did not think I would, but it works.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old May 01, 2011, 04:43 AM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,272 Posts
How is the CG working out with the short nose? I built a M1C years ago and had a big 12 cell nicad pack right under the motor.

Will it have rigging?
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown