HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 02, 2011, 01:18 AM
Registered User
Newark, CA
Joined Apr 2004
77 Posts
Esm p-39

Looks good!!!!
warbird51 is offline Find More Posts by warbird51
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:12 AM
Registered User
NC
Joined Oct 2003
526 Posts
Esm p-39

I hope I am not stepping on any toes.. You doing a great job with the build and thread.. I just finished up the cockpit for the P-39 and thought I would post a couple pic's..

Ty
fockewulf37 is offline Find More Posts by fockewulf37
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:10 AM
Dweebster
dweeb7944's Avatar
United States, MA, Charlton
Joined Sep 2008
701 Posts
Hi Ty,

Not stepping on anyones toes at all. I've been following your progress on RCU. You did an incredible job on the cockpit. I can't wait to order one. I was just speaking to a friend of mine this morning regarding the installation of the cockpit, and the possible move of the servo tray. I was expressing my concerns about the fuel tank. I have a larger tank going in place of the one that was provided, but with the installation of the cockpit, I will need to move the tank to another loc, just not sure where.

Any word on when the cockpit kit will be ready for purchase on VQwarbirds???
dweeb7944 is offline Find More Posts by dweeb7944
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:22 AM
Registered User
NC
Joined Oct 2003
526 Posts
Thanks for the comments. Hope to have them to VQ by the first of next week.There is a former behind the firewall. I would make a tray that attached to the back of the firewall and to the next former. Making the tray go back as far as needed. You can make it out of 1/8" ply or even 1/4" ply. The nose weight would not hurt...You can fiberglass it in or I would use GOOP to glue it in..

Here is the installation vid for the cockpit. You can see what need to be cut...

ESM P-39 Cockpit Installation (27 min 7 sec)


Ty
fockewulf37 is offline Find More Posts by fockewulf37
Last edited by fockewulf37; Apr 07, 2011 at 07:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2011, 05:17 PM
Registered User
Knotnuts's Avatar
Joined May 2008
1,506 Posts
Great job as usual, Ty. Looks like you did a great job! Are you going to SEFF this next week? KN.. P.S. I've really enjoyed your Dauntless cockpkit kit.
Knotnuts is offline Find More Posts by Knotnuts
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2011, 05:44 PM
Registered User
NC
Joined Oct 2003
526 Posts
Thanks.....
Just have too many things going on to get away...One of these days i'll get around to the fly-ins again

Ty
fockewulf37 is offline Find More Posts by fockewulf37
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:21 PM
Dweebster
dweeb7944's Avatar
United States, MA, Charlton
Joined Sep 2008
701 Posts
Just ordered TY's cockpit kit.

Can't wait for it too come in. Well, I haven't had much build time lately. Work & life in general has been getting in the way....but at least I got to fly this past weekend. I flew a Golden Anniversary P-39 that I picked up at an auction in January. She was fast with a SuperTigre 90. Real gas guzzler though. 4 minutes out of a 16 oz tank. Even with the 20+ gust, she fly great.

From the photos, you can see I had to go with the stock exhaust. Finished cutting the cowl tonight. I have a spinner on order. I will mount the engine as soon as the spinner comes in. The J'Tec exhaust is really nice, but it doesn't fit this bird. The nose retract is smack dab in the middle, and can't be cut back. There is a little more muffler showing on the side of the bird than what I would like, but at least I can still make her a gasser.

The only other work I was able to get done was filling in the wheel wells with balsa. I ran out of paint, so the other wing is still incomplete. Once I get the retract mounted, and the gear door on, I can start experimenting with the body gear door.

Quick question: I'm worried about getting enough air to the DLE-30. Would cutting the vents in the last photo make any difference???
dweeb7944 is offline Find More Posts by dweeb7944
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:16 PM
Registered User
Sturbridge, MA
Joined Apr 2010
18 Posts
Looking Good....you're right, the stock muffler doesn't look bad at all. Just a tough engine to fit a gas motor in (gas is the way to go, though)

PM sent
timbee is offline Find More Posts by timbee
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 05:38 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
What I am curious to see..

The aircobra irl the engine was behind the pilot with the prop shaft basically running between the pilot's legs which doubled as the route for the gun barrel for a 30 mm cannon..What would be interesting to see is a complete scale like setup like that..

would mean a LOT of nose weight to scale to make up for the loss of engine weight in the nose but would put a whole new twist in an rc p39.

having flown the IL2 series WW2 air combat simulations which uses measurements of real aircraft for flight models as well as cg I can say that IRL she was a bit tail heavy..took lots of down trim on the elevators to make her fly level but the punch of the guns was worth it..two shots from that 30 mm would take the wing off an HE 111 (russian aircobra)

Also, the nose gear should cause the nose to sit up in the air a bit..it should't sit level on the wheels but about a 3 degree nose up attitude..again because IRL it was weight..the engine sat right on top of the CG in the real plane which caused the oleos on the mains to compress a bit...take offs in the sim were a no up elevator affair..she'd come off the ground once she hit 160 knots with neutral stick and clean wings..(no bombs) Later models also had 4 50s in the wings along with the nose guns...Just some interesting stuff about em. If the radiator scoops on the belly are modelled to scale they might provide enough airflow with ducting to cool the engine if behind the pilot..would be an interesting idea..could find cg using a small bag and sand filled to weight of engine..leaving the open nose (with exception of prop shaft extention) for rx, battery etc. hmmmm

TM
twmonroe is offline Find More Posts by twmonroe
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:31 AM
Dweebster
dweeb7944's Avatar
United States, MA, Charlton
Joined Sep 2008
701 Posts
Model Aviation - 1982 - Jack Stolly. The guy did build one with the engine in the middle. It had a radiator to cool the engine:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/plans/images/1982/367.jpg

From my other build:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1341341&page=3


Quote:
Originally Posted by twmonroe View Post
What I am curious to see..

The aircobra irl the engine was behind the pilot with the prop shaft basically running between the pilot's legs which doubled as the route for the gun barrel for a 30 mm cannon..What would be interesting to see is a complete scale like setup like that..

would mean a LOT of nose weight to scale to make up for the loss of engine weight in the nose but would put a whole new twist in an rc p39.

having flown the IL2 series WW2 air combat simulations which uses measurements of real aircraft for flight models as well as cg I can say that IRL she was a bit tail heavy..took lots of down trim on the elevators to make her fly level but the punch of the guns was worth it..two shots from that 30 mm would take the wing off an HE 111 (russian aircobra)

Also, the nose gear should cause the nose to sit up in the air a bit..it should't sit level on the wheels but about a 3 degree nose up attitude..again because IRL it was weight..the engine sat right on top of the CG in the real plane which caused the oleos on the mains to compress a bit...take offs in the sim were a no up elevator affair..she'd come off the ground once she hit 160 knots with neutral stick and clean wings..(no bombs) Later models also had 4 50s in the wings along with the nose guns...Just some interesting stuff about em. If the radiator scoops on the belly are modelled to scale they might provide enough airflow with ducting to cool the engine if behind the pilot..would be an interesting idea..could find cg using a small bag and sand filled to weight of engine..leaving the open nose (with exception of prop shaft extention) for rx, battery etc. hmmmm

TM
dweeb7944 is offline Find More Posts by dweeb7944
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 05:35 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
But did it fly well and how did he figure out the prop shaft...LOL

It looks like one heck of an rc engineering masterpiece though..IRL there were radiator openings in the wing roots and oil cooler opening below the engine to pull for the oil cooler..not sure that those openings would allow enough airflow for an rc engine..it barely allowed enough for the allison in real life..LOL

TM
twmonroe is offline Find More Posts by twmonroe
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:29 PM
Dweebster
dweeb7944's Avatar
United States, MA, Charlton
Joined Sep 2008
701 Posts
Engine cooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twmonroe View Post
But did it fly well and how did he figure out the prop shaft...LOL

It looks like one heck of an rc engineering masterpiece though..IRL there were radiator openings in the wing roots and oil cooler opening below the engine to pull for the oil cooler..not sure that those openings would allow enough airflow for an rc engine..it barely allowed enough for the allison in real life..LOL

TM
According to the article, it flew really well. I do agree with you about the cooling. It could be done. Check out this build of a p-63 Here. Nitetruk did a great job venting the engine heat through a series of tubes that would exhaust out the bottom to the plane. Really interesting. Not beyond my capabilities, but definetly beyond my patience. What an excellcent plane.

I have way too many P-39's now, so I have vowed if I ever build another one, it will be a TP-39, which is a two seat trainer. There were other modifications done to the plane, but basically the front seat was where the cannon was mounted. Guarentee you will never see one of those at the field. LOL.
dweeb7944 is offline Find More Posts by dweeb7944
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:57 PM
Dweebster
dweeb7944's Avatar
United States, MA, Charlton
Joined Sep 2008
701 Posts
Welp, it's been a week since ordering the cockpit kit, and the order still says 'processing'. I think the kit came out fantastic, and chances are they are flying off the shelves. (pun intended). This will hold me up for sure. With out the cockpit kit, I will not be able to know where/how to design a new servo tray. I'm thinking I will move it back further, but that will depend on where my fuel tank will go. If I can do a rough balance in a week, that can give me an idea if the tank should be placed under the front nose gear or not. I'd like to try to get it right on the CG, but I'm not sure how much room there will be there. I'm very leary about cutting into the fuse until I get the kit in. If its going to be back ordered for a while, I think I will just set it up, fly the bird, and maybe install the cockpit kit at the end of the season. Time will tell.

I was messing with the main gears, and doors and stuff. To save some further expensed time, I decieded not to create full working doors. They would like really nice, but I did run into some problems, possibly some shimming might be involved, but the bottom line is, to do all that detail, the front nose gear doors should really be done too. So yes, I had to rip out all that nice balsa I placed in there so I can get the plastic inserts to fit again.

I have them both fitted, and the main retracts mounted. All lines are run in the wing. I'm about to join the two wing halfs maybe tommorow. I had to increase the servo hatch opening by 1/4". It was a little too small for the proper servo arm swing. The engine has been mounted. The cowl was cut down some more to fit the engine a little better. I still have not mounted the cowl yet, as my spinner still has not arrived. (Web says delivery tommorow.) I did glue in some blocking for the cowl, as well as pegging them. In a few days I'll apply some resin and glass to make sure they aren't going anywhere, and that they are fuel proofed.

I was also able to get the front nose gear mounted. I had some temp pull/pull hooked up to the steering. With the angle that the wire is from the nose gear to the bottom of the servo tray, it was pretty steep. I wasn't sure it would be pulling correctly. I tested it out and it seems fine. I'm still going to buy a beefy servo for the steering just to make sure.
dweeb7944 is offline Find More Posts by dweeb7944
Last edited by dweeb7944; Apr 19, 2011 at 08:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:48 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
Another question on your kit.

Many have had some issues with the hing slots not lining up right on the wing and tail and also the fact that they were only adhering to the sheeting. Did you see the same thing on yours?

I'm considering not using the esm hinges at all and going with robart hinges. Do you think looking at the construction of your wing if robart hinges would be a viable option? Having never used them before I donKt want to order them and find they wouldn't work. If you used the esm provided hinges on the control surfaces you may want to consider drilling and pinning them for the added bit of security. Mpope1 noticed one of his ailerons pulled loose on his mustang after a bumpy landing. Again the reason why I'm considering going with robart hinges after filling and sanding the esm cut slots. What you think?

TM
twmonroe is offline Find More Posts by twmonroe
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:43 PM
Dweebster
dweeb7944's Avatar
United States, MA, Charlton
Joined Sep 2008
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twmonroe View Post
Another question on your kit.

Many have had some issues with the hing slots not lining up right on the wing and tail and also the fact that they were only adhering to the sheeting. Did you see the same thing on yours?

I'm considering not using the esm hinges at all and going with robart hinges. Do you think looking at the construction of your wing if robart hinges would be a viable option? Having never used them before I donKt want to order them and find they wouldn't work. If you used the esm provided hinges on the control surfaces you may want to consider drilling and pinning them for the added bit of security. Mpope1 noticed one of his ailerons pulled loose on his mustang after a bumpy landing. Again the reason why I'm considering going with robart hinges after filling and sanding the esm cut slots. What you think?

TM
TM,
I didn't like the hinges that ESM provided, so I went with Robart hinges on all control surfaces with exception of the flaps. I will use the hinges provided on the flaps. When I first got the kit and thought about the blocking for the hinges, it appeared to be okay for the robarts. I thought about pinning my flap hinges, but haven't made up my mind yet. I'm going to check with a friend of mine. I glued all robart hinges, but have not yet glued my flap hinges. Those should be okay to use.

Just remember when you use your robart hinges...use vasoline around the pin and in between the gear section before gluing them in. Trial fit everything first (dry). Then line up your hinges on your desk (etc) and vasoline around the pin area on each. DO NOT get vasoline on the meat part of the hinge. Epoxy and vasoline do not like each other. If gluing using 5 minute epoxy, only work 4 hinges at a time and 1 side of the hinge at a time. (IE: glue hinge to wing, then 2nd time around - glue hinge to aileron - ensure your gap is okay and wait to dry. Once dry, if there is excess vasoline on the pin, wipe with baby wipes. (After all that money, she is your baby.)

Are you ordering the cockpit kit that TY made??
dweeb7944 is offline Find More Posts by dweeb7944
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools