HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:54 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmastax1x View Post
For those running the guardian with a separate switch for gain or activation, what do you think are the chances of getting your plane back if you lose all VIDEO signal? You'd have to memorize(i know its not the hardest thing in the world) the 3-pos switch pattern to turn on the menu, and then select rth. Or you could shut off your tx, which from what i read in the manual isn't recommended. So this doesn't leave you with a "safe" way to activate rth in an emergency. I for one, can see myself fumbling with and forgetting the location of my 3-pos cursor and never turning on rth at all.
hi,

sorry, but you are on the "wrong way". thereīs no need to adjust the guardianīs gain during flight. find the maximum gain during a testflight using your dial on the rx or change the parameters in the menu. then change the stabilisation to "center stick" and set the window to 1. the result is that the guardian will recover in the minimum time if you let the sticks go AND after 10% stick-reflection your plane reacts like without any stabilizer if you would like more stabilisation during your steering, you can set the window to a larger size.

for rth use the clarlyle-method BUT use a switchable mix on your rx to bring the throttle below "0". store the failsafe to your rx with this switch on.
now you can activate rth with this switch every time you want. also rth will activated during flight when you loose the rc-signal.
PLS DON`T SWITCH OFF THE RC-TX to activate rth.
i use rth almost in all of my flights: for start (to change to the video goggles while my plane climbs up autonomous) or i donīt like to drive home by myself

with a proper setup of rth and guardian the rth will bring your plane home. only obstacles in the flight path or a defect on the plane or electronics may cause that the rth is unsucessful.

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:03 AM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmastax1x View Post
For those running the guardian with a separate switch for gain or activation, what do you think are the chances of getting your plane back if you lose all VIDEO signal? You'd have to memorize(i know its not the hardest thing in the world) the 3-pos switch pattern to turn on the menu, and then select rth. Or you could shut off your tx, which from what i read in the manual isn't recommended. So this doesn't leave you with a "safe" way to activate rth in an emergency. I for one, can see myself fumbling with and forgetting the location of my 3-pos cursor and never turning on rth at all.
+1

It's better to not turn off the transmitter. Use the Carlyle method for RTH. If you use the RTH Carlyle method activating RTH is not a problem. You don't need the video at all. And the Guardian uses the Stabilizer Overall Gain setting for RTH even if you've lowered the gain during normal flight.

I'm using a 3-pos switch for the menu system. I use a trim switch on the DX-8 to vary the Guardian gain. Yesterday I flew on my lunch break and was in a hurry. I have my bi-quad on a separate tripod and forgot to connect it to the receiver. As the plane flew away I lost the video from the omni. I just switched on RTH and the plane came home while I figured out I hadn't connected the antenna and got it hooked up. The RTH worked perfectly and the plane was circling overhead. Even if the video had gone out completely I would just wait until the plane was back and fly LOS to land.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Last edited by Floater73; Nov 11, 2011 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Didn't see Thomas's post on the next page. But I think we agree on this.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:20 PM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater73 View Post
Mine holds ok. But, I don't use it for very long distances. How long does it take to drift off?

Steve
It starts drifting immediately. I wish they would tie it to the GPS heading. I think they said that was in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornant View Post
I am having the same problem. I would love to know how to fix it. I am yet to try changing any of the gain settings.
I have tried changing the gains with no luck at all. And some times if I'm flying North for instance and, using the ailerons, I turn left to West, it will turn back to North and attempt to hold briefly before it drifts continuously to the right. I'm flying "hands off", so I'm not inadvertently reseting the heading.
rsowder is offline Find More Posts by rsowder
Old Nov 11, 2011, 08:14 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsowder View Post
It starts drifting immediately. I wish they would tie it to the GPS heading. I think they said that was in the works.

I have tried changing the gains with no luck at all. And some times if I'm flying North for instance and, using the ailerons, I turn left to West, it will turn back to North and attempt to hold briefly before it drifts continuously to the right. I'm flying "hands off", so I'm not inadvertently reseting the heading.
If it drifts all of the time, then trim it to fly straight, and reset guardian level (in flight).

Just leave guardian turned on, and fly straight and level, and hit reset level flight.

afterwards you will want to bring the plane down and reset failsafe trims. to the new trim settings.

-Mike
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:57 AM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
If it drifts all of the time, then trim it to fly straight, and reset guardian level (in flight).

Just leave guardian turned on, and fly straight and level, and hit reset level flight.

afterwards you will want to bring the plane down and reset failsafe trims. to the new trim settings.

-Mike
I have done that. And even if the plane is not trimmed perfectly, heading hold is supposed to compensate for that. It should not drift. Have you had luck recently using heading hold? I have not seen any posts about it, so I'm wondering if it's a feature that most do not use.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:54 PM
Joined Oct 2011
56 Posts
Guardian Stabilization with bigger air frames

Quote:
I have done that. And even if the plane is not trimmed perfectly, heading hold is supposed to compensate for that. It should not drift. Have you had luck recently using heading hold? I have not seen any posts about it, so I'm wondering if it's a feature that most do not use.
So far reading through this thread, I have not come upon anyone using the Guardian with either a glow/gasser type setup. I have been hoping that someone would post or share with us their experience with a 20 lbs+ rc aircraft.

That being said, I have all the eagle tree setup, a Flight Data Recorder, not the "Pro version", a GPS expander, a G-Force Expander, the Guardian and the OSD Pro all connected to a Hangar 9 Cessna 182. I think it would come in weighing shy of 22 lbs. I have not been able to even come close to the maiden because the Guardian is currently not compatible with the Flight Data Recorder V2.

Not until its compatible, I am not taking this bird up. I think me an my bird will go on a strike until I have some kind of response from dear BillPa of when those of us with the Flight Data Recorder can expect a response of any sorts. Bill, a word or two in response will greatly ease my pain...
captward is offline Find More Posts by captward
Last edited by captward; Nov 12, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 04:10 PM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captward View Post
So far reading through this thread, I have not come upon anyone using the Guardian with either a glow/gasser type setup. I have been hoping that someone would post or share with us their experience with a 20 lbs+ rc aircraft.

That being said, I have all the eagle tree setup, a Flight Data Recorder, not the "Pro version", a GPS expander, a G-Force Expander, the Guardian and the OSD Pro all connected to a Hangar 9 Cessna 182. I think it would come in weighing shy of 22 lbs. I have not been able to even come close to the maiden because the Guardian is currently not compatible with the Flight Data Recorder V2.

Not until its compatible, I am not taking this bird up. I think me an my bird will go on a strike until I have some kind of response from dear BillPa of when those of us with the Flight Data Recorder can expect a response of any sorts. Bill, a word or two in response will greatly ease my pain...
One thing to think about using the Guardian on a Gas plane is vibration. Although the Guardian is not as sensitive to vibration as the FY20, I did have issues with it on my Cularis. I had it attached to a piece of plywood and got some intermittent, un-commanded rolls and pitches. Once i mounted it onto foam, that problem disappeared. Make sure it has some vibration dampening.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 04:16 PM
Joined Oct 2011
56 Posts
Guardian with Glow or Gas Engines

Quote:
One thing to think about using the Guardian on a Gas plane is vibration. Although the Guardian is not as sensitive to vibration as the FY20, I did have issues with it on my Cularis. I had it attached to a piece of plywood and got some intermittent, un-commanded rolls and pitches. Once i mounted it onto foam, that problem disappeared. Make sure it has some vibration dampening.
Great point there Rsowder. I made sure to mount all my electronics on a piece of foam, plus the engine I am using is a OS MAX 160 FT Gemini. From all accounts you can pretty much set a nickle on its tips on the crankcase and it would not tip over. I have also balanced my props up to minimize vibration.

One question I'd like to ask. Why did most people choose the eLogger version 3 or 4 over the Flight Data Recorder?
captward is offline Find More Posts by captward
Old Nov 12, 2011, 04:41 PM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captward View Post
Great point there Rsowder. I made sure to mount all my electronics on a piece of foam, plus the engine I am using is a OS MAX 160 FT Gemini. From all accounts you can pretty much set a nickle on its tips on the crankcase and it would not tip over. I have also balanced my props up to minimize vibration.

One question I'd like to ask. Why did most people choose the eLogger version 3 or 4 over the Flight Data Recorder?
Probably compatibility. I also have the FDR, but didn't want to wait to get RSSI and the Guardian.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:02 PM
Go Flyers!
South Jerzzz
Joined Aug 2008
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
hi,

sorry, but you are on the "wrong way". thereīs no need to adjust the guardianīs gain during flight. find the maximum gain during a testflight using your dial on the rx or change the parameters in the menu. then change the stabilisation to "center stick" and set the window to 1. the result is that the guardian will recover in the minimum time if you let the sticks go AND after 10% stick-reflection your plane reacts like without any stabilizer if you would like more stabilisation during your steering, you can set the window to a larger size.

for rth use the clarlyle-method BUT use a switchable mix on your rx to bring the throttle below "0". store the failsafe to your rx with this switch on.
now you can activate rth with this switch every time you want. also rth will activated during flight when you loose the rc-signal.
PLS DON`T SWITCH OFF THE RC-TX to activate rth.
i use rth almost in all of my flights: for start (to change to the video goggles while my plane climbs up autonomous) or i donīt like to drive home by myself

with a proper setup of rth and guardian the rth will bring your plane home. only obstacles in the flight path or a defect on the plane or electronics may cause that the rth is unsucessful.

cheers Thomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater73 View Post
+1

It's better to not turn off the transmitter. Use the Carlyle method for RTH. If you use the RTH Carlyle method activating RTH is not a problem. You don't need the video at all. And the Guardian uses the Stabilizer Overall Gain setting for RTH even if you've lowered the gain during normal flight.

I'm using a 3-pos switch for the menu system. I use a trim switch on the DX-8 to vary the Guardian gain. Yesterday I flew on my lunch break and was in a hurry. I have my bi-quad on a separate tripod and forgot to connect it to the receiver. As the plane flew away I lost the video from the omni. I just switched on RTH and the plane came home while I figured out I hadn't connected the antenna and got it hooked up. The RTH worked perfectly and the plane was circling overhead. Even if the video had gone out completely I would just wait until the plane was back and fly LOS to land.

Steve

ok thanks guys for clearing it up for me. I actually got the unit today (AMAZINGLY fast shipping from hobbywireless) and will try to set it up tonight.
dmastax1x is offline Find More Posts by dmastax1x
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:44 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Oooo I tried out the guardian for the first time today. Man this thing works fast and keeps that plane centered well! Only issue I had was after a tight turn it seemed to be a little thrown off and it would try to turn back to a different heading than I was currently at (HH off). I also think I'm going to expand the window to 10, I have it at 3 and don't like the jumpy feeling of the stabilizer cutting in and out. I'd rather have it keep the entire turn super smooth than just during straight and level.

Also I tried the RTH. That's freaky how well it works. I was at 500 feet, engaged RTH, plane cut power, made a nice quick turn to home and descended to 400 feet and made a bee line to home. That was very cool.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:06 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
Oooo I tried out the guardian for the first time today. Man this thing works fast and keeps that plane centered well! Only issue I had was after a tight turn it seemed to be a little thrown off and it would try to turn back to a different heading than I was currently at (HH off). I also think I'm going to expand the window to 10, I have it at 3 and don't like the jumpy feeling of the stabilizer cutting in and out. I'd rather have it keep the entire turn super smooth than just during straight and level.

Also I tried the RTH. That's freaky how well it works. I was at 500 feet, engaged RTH, plane cut power, made a nice quick turn to home and descended to 400 feet and made a bee line to home. That was very cool.
Try with center stick stabilizatioin off. It removes the jumpiness.

be sure to go through a test and calibration phase. Test all possible scenerios on RTH and be sure that it is performing to your standards. If you take your time and set RTH to perform perfectly, then you will always be able to rely on it.

-Mike
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:51 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Mike- thanks. I went through all the calibration. I do need to setup the Carlyle (?) method to activate the RTH. I don't like going through the menu to turn it on and off.

Does the center stick stab mean the guardian is always on (unless I turn off the switch)? I had the FY-20A before and liked how it just steadied the plane even when I was turning.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:04 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
Mike- thanks. I went through all the calibration. I do need to setup the Carlyle (?) method to activate the RTH. I don't like going through the menu to turn it on and off.

Does the center stick stab mean the guardian is always on (unless I turn off the switch)? I had the FY-20A before and liked how it just steadied the plane even when I was turning.
Center stick stabilization stabilizes when your stick is inside the stabilization box.

When you move your stick sufficiently to move outside the box, then stabilization is not being used.

I noticed that I got a sort of flapping effect as I transitioned from the inside to the outside of the box, so I just turned off Center Stick Stabilizatioin, and I am happy.

The down side is that I can't do loops with stabilization on, but I can live with that.

-Mike
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:14 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
sorry I meant when center stab is off, but I think I get it.