HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2011, 03:01 AM
Alicante, España
Joined Jun 2010
379 Posts
Thank you very much Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
I'm sure your gains were too high. it was overcorrecting. I flew in winds that pushed the skywalker backwards, but it was stable.

PowerPanel/MicroSensor/GPS Extension Cable (CAB-EXP-EXT)
12” (30 cm) 4 pin extension cable for the the PowerPanel and MicroSensors
Price $4.99

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/MicroPower/micro.htm

-Mike
catamar is offline Find More Posts by catamar
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2011, 12:25 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catamar View Post
Thank you very much Mike.
You're welcome,

I knew it was there because I had read other posts about it, but it's not easy to find.

ET needs an accessories page under products...

Mike
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Oct 03, 2011, 05:47 PM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
741 Posts
Center Stick Box Size

What number are you setting the Center Stick Box Size

When I move the stick it does nothing until I get out of the box AND then the plane jumps over all of a sudden.
Moving the stick back the plane moves until I get in the box AND then jumps back to center.

Thanks for the Help
EugeneFlorida is offline Find More Posts by EugeneFlorida
Old Oct 04, 2011, 01:51 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneFlorida View Post

When I move the stick it does nothing until I get out of the box AND then the plane jumps over all of a sudden.
Moving the stick back the plane moves until I get in the box AND then jumps back to center.

Thanks for the Help
hi,
i choose a small window, because i want almost no stabilisation if not "hands-off". now my set is "8" and the skywalker reacts like usual.

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Oct 04, 2011, 11:11 AM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
741 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
hi,
i choose a small window, because i want almost no stabilisation if not "hands-off". now my set is "8" and the skywalker reacts like usual.

cheers Thomas
Thanks for the reply.

I do not get it, because mine is set to 3. When I move the number higher my stick moves even more before anything happens.

(EX)
On 10 I can move the sticks all the way before there is movement and then the plane jumps as if I just move the stick as fast as I can all the way, which is what happens because G keeps the plane level until I get Out of the Box.
So the higher the number the more the stick moves before the G get to 0 and lets the (rudder) go. Like a rubber ban being pulled back and then you let it go flying across the room.

What am I missing
What Setting do I have wrong?

Thanks for the Help
Old Oct 04, 2011, 11:52 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

I do not get it, because mine is set to 3. When I move the number higher my stick moves even more before anything happens.

(EX)
On 10 I can move the sticks all the way before there is movement and then the plane jumps as if I just move the stick as fast as I can all the way, which is what happens because G keeps the plane level until I get Out of the Box.
So the higher the number the more the stick moves before the G get to 0 and lets the (rudder) go. Like a rubber ban being pulled back and then you let it go flying across the room.

What am I missing
What Setting do I have wrong?

Thanks for the Help
sorry,
i wrote the complete nonsense this morning ... had not enough coffee to think clear
my stab gain is set to "8" !!!
i set the window to the smallest amount ... now i checked my actual settings and they are set to "1" !!!
that means that the stab gain will reduce from 8 to 0 in between the first 10% of stick-movement. in reality my skywalker (= plane with slow reactions) reacts like the time "before guardian".
ground testing: twisting the plane and the rudders will react counter the movement (e.g at maximum roll-angle the ailerons move the maximum throw). moving the stick out of the window ... no moves on the rudders if plan is twisted. little stick input (trim) with twisting the plane ... rudders will move a smaller way.

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:08 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
I stopped using CSS. I have had better success with it off...

Mike
Old Oct 05, 2011, 07:13 AM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
741 Posts
Quote:

Mike
Mike, With out using CSS, I would have to use the Stabilization Master Gain Knob?
Please tell use how yours is set up and how you use the Stabilization???

I have Page 5 here but still do not get ....if I have the CSS off and the
Stabilization Master Gain Knob set to "0" Medium Stabilization,"May still be rolled by strong stick movement

Thanks for your help ( I need It )
Old Oct 05, 2011, 09:57 AM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapi2 View Post
Can you use 2 channels for ailerons (flaperons) with the guardian or only 1 with a Y cable has before with the OSD Pro?
Tku
Yes, you can use two aileron channels with the Guardian if you use an Elevon/Flaperon mixer.

Rob
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old Oct 05, 2011, 10:16 AM
Joined Oct 2010
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camship View Post
Yes, you can use two aileron channels with the Guardian if you use an Elevon/Flaperon mixer.

Rob
Can you explain a little more how to make connections? I don't understand it.

Thanx

Greetings...
ssancho is offline Find More Posts by ssancho
Old Oct 05, 2011, 09:51 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
648 Posts
Quote:

Mike
Mike,

I have to admit I really like the concept of CCS, but I too have not found the a box size that makes it feel natural to me in flight. Most of my flying these days is for HD video and I found I could not fly smoothly with it because many manuevers require you to enter and leave the box without stabilization kicking in (for example doing a roll then a hard turn etc). So I found the monentary stabilization made the video non-smooth.

I am struggling to describe how it should feel to be natural. One suggestion I made was for stabilization to only kick in if the stick stays in the box for say 0.5 or 1 seconds. That is you are essentially flying with zero stabilization and a very small box, but if you get into trouble let go sticks for 1 sec. This of course assumes you are high enough that 1 second is not too long before piling in.

The flyby wire mode (ie centre stick off) is nice for smooth video, but you forget how to fly after using that for a while since you have to keep holding the stick over to hold a bank etc, and you can't go beyond the max angle.

I guess the compromize is flyby wire then flip gains to 0 on a switch or dial for hard maneuvers, and flip back if in trouble or want to fly by wire.

I think there are other possibilites that could be programmed in if there is interest from the broad community like stabilize inverted

anyway I am having a blast with the guardian - my RTH is rock solid. My only problem is I need a new OSDpro after piling in at high speed doing a video . smoke started streaming out of the plane - it was the OSD pro - must have shorted the sensor pins on the crash

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Oct 05, 2011, 10:10 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Mike, With out using CSS, I would have to use the Stabilization Master Gain Knob?
Please tell use how yours is set up and how you use the Stabilization???

I have Page 5 here but still do not get ....if I have the CSS off and the
Stabilization Master Gain Knob set to "0" Medium Stabilization,"May still be rolled by strong stick movement

Thanks for your help ( I need It )
Eugene,

I have stabilization set, and I leave it. If I have to make a hard bank, or a dive, it responds properly. It is different from flying a non stabilized plane, but it works fine.

It is always stabilizing my flight. I don't do acrobatics with this plane, I just want it to fly smoothely and get home on its' own, if it needs to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
Mike,

I have to admit I really like the concept of CCS, but I too have not found the a box size that makes it feel natural to me in flight. Most of my flying these days is for HD video and I found I could not fly smoothly with it because many manuevers require you to enter and leave the box without stabilization kicking in (for example doing a roll then a hard turn etc). So I found the monentary stabilization made the video non-smooth.

I am struggling to describe how it should feel to be natural. One suggestion I made was for stabilization to only kick in if the stick stays in the box for say 0.5 or 1 seconds. That is you are essentially flying with zero stabilization and a very small box, but if you get into trouble let go sticks for 1 sec. This of course assumes you are high enough that 1 second is not too long before piling in.

The flyby wire mode (ie centre stick off) is nice for smooth video, but you forget how to fly after using that for a while since you have to keep holding the stick over to hold a bank etc, and you can't go beyond the max angle.

I guess the compromize is flyby wire then flip gains to 0 on a switch or dial for hard maneuvers, and flip back if in trouble or want to fly by wire.

I think there are other possibilites that could be programmed in if there is interest from the broad community like stabilize inverted

anyway I am having a blast with the guardian - my RTH is rock solid. My only problem is I need a new OSDpro after piling in at high speed doing a video . smoke started streaming out of the plane - it was the OSD pro - must have shorted the sensor pins on the crash

Al

Al,

I too am photography minded, I'll have to show you my antiroll mount that I have been working on (it keeps the horizons more level).

as for the box, It always acted wierd when I gave it a command to turn. It would start the turn, then turn back, and then continue the turn. I like the CSS off position.

I'm sure you won't forget how to fly You just have to think of it as its' own animal. Just like when you drive an rc car, or pilot an rc heli/quad; You still make the transition back to flying. This model just happens to like to fly level, so I have to hold my commands...

Mike

In this video I am using the antiroll mount.

I haven't perfected it, but you can see that the horizons are more smoother, and you can see the pitot tube moving around underneath. It makes it look like the camera mount is loose, but it's just doing its' job.
Last edited by m_beeson; Oct 05, 2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:58 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
648 Posts
Quote:

In this video I am using the antiroll mount.

I haven't perfected it, but you can see that the horizons are more smoother, and you can see the pitot tube moving around underneath. It makes it look like the camera mount is loose, but it's just doing its' job.
Wow

Really nice camera system Mike ! Congrats - great place to fly as well

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:48 PM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssancho View Post
Can you explain a little more how to make connections? I don't understand it.

Thanx

Greetings...
If you use an external Elevon/Flaperon mixer you do not use mixing in your radio for flaperon operation. You must disable any TX mixing involving the ailerons and flaps. You connect your aileron output to your OSD Pro as normal. Then connect the aileron output from the OSD Pro to one channel on the mixer.

Your flap channel will connect to the second mixer input. Both of your aileron servos will connect to the two outputs from the mixer.

You can then get flaperon function using just the flap channel on your TX. The mixing is done for you.

Most good quality mixers are programmable for servo direction and movement so you will have to use the specific instructions provided for you mixer for setting up flaperon operation.

Just try to get one that has decent resolution or you will get jerky control surfaces.

Good Luck!

Rob
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old Oct 06, 2011, 02:19 PM
Joined Oct 2010
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camship View Post
If you use an external Elevon/Flaperon mixer you do not use mixing in your radio for flaperon operation. You must disable any TX mixing involving the ailerons and flaps. You connect your aileron output to your OSD Pro as normal. Then connect the aileron output from the OSD Pro to one channel on the mixer.

Your flap channel will connect to the second mixer input. Both of your aileron servos will connect to the two outputs from the mixer.

You can then get flaperon function using just the flap channel on your TX. The mixing is done for you.

Most good quality mixers are programmable for servo direction and movement so you will have to use the specific instructions provided for you mixer for setting up flaperon operation.

Just try to get one that has decent resolution or you will get jerky control surfaces.

Good Luck!

Rob
Thank you Rob. A really good explanation. It's really clear now.

I will look for a good flaperon mixer.

Thanks!!!!

Greetings...
ssancho is offline Find More Posts by ssancho