see you at Pecan Patch
EugeneFlorida is offline Find More Posts by EugeneFlorida
Old Apr 28, 2011, 06:42 AM
Joined Apr 2008
356 Posts
hi all

i'm in the market for a OSD system.
I already have a FDR "glide" version.
Can i buy the OSD Pro + guardian modules? Or do i need the FDR pro, instead?
sorry for the silly question..
GliderLover is offline Find More Posts by GliderLover
Old Apr 28, 2011, 08:20 PM
One with the machine
Antarctica
Joined Jul 2010
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneFlorida View Post
Where and When : That is the Question
see you at Pecan Patch
I see you there buddy
X--ALIEN--X is offline Find More Posts by X--ALIEN--X
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:48 AM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,615 Posts
It would be good if they could release the manual first. That would make clear the functions of the unit before purchase.
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Apr 29, 2011, 01:01 PM
Joined Mar 2009
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by borneobear View Post
It would be good if they could release the manual first. That would make clear the functions of the unit before purchase.

I agree Im very interested in this one, it will release a lot of room in my Easy Glider, Im using fy20.
FabioBrazil is offline Find More Posts by FabioBrazil
Old Apr 29, 2011, 04:29 PM
Fast and low...
Joined Apr 2009
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Hi, wanted to give an update. Picture is worth 1K words.

We'll have the preorder button up ASAP!
Thank you! That looks very small and compact. Are there any requirements for mounting it in any particular position or will it auto adjust on power-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneobear View Post
Ditto!
aa78 is offline Find More Posts by aa78
Old Apr 29, 2011, 05:07 PM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
There's a small downside if compared with the FY20A (..it's actually balanced by the size, weigth, no cables and all...): OSD Pro only supports: elevator and airelons, so you cannot have a rudder stabilization; because of this you cannot have the RTH working on rudder only while the wings remain leveled (proven to be the most reliable way to run the RTH avoiding tip dives). It might be only a theoric issue, if the device takes care of the current angle of roll working together with the RTH algorythm, and i don't care much about the rudder stabilization (on FY20A it's not holding position, so not needed at all). I'm confident btw!
npole is offline Find More Posts by npole
Old Apr 29, 2011, 08:13 PM
Joined Jun 2010
560 Posts
bill said in another thread that the osd pro willget a firmware update in the future which supports a ppm input. With this theoretically 2 more outputs on the osd are available for rudder flaps etc.
nabazul is offline Find More Posts by nabazul
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:14 PM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabazul View Post
bill said in another thread that the osd pro willget a firmware update in the future which supports a ppm input. With this theoretically 2 more outputs on the osd are available for rudder flaps etc.
For those that have a receiver with PPM output ... mine is OK (TLRS), but i believe most ones doesn't have it.
I'm awaiting the PPM output not for the rudder anyway... but to try to reduce the cable mess, it will be a great help!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:59 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npole View Post
There's a small downside if compared with the FY20A (..it's actually balanced by the size, weigth, no cables and all...): OSD Pro only supports: elevator and airelons, so you cannot have a rudder stabilization; because of this you cannot have the RTH working on rudder only while the wings remain leveled (proven to be the most reliable way to run the RTH avoiding tip dives). It might be only a theoric issue, if the device takes care of the current angle of roll working together with the RTH algorythm, and i don't care much about the rudder stabilization (on FY20A it's not holding position, so not needed at all). I'm confident btw!
On my SW with an F-20A I have the rudder stabilization turned off. I agree with you. It really isn't needed on a set up like the SW.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:32 AM
Fast and low...
Joined Apr 2009
837 Posts
[removed]
aa78 is offline Find More Posts by aa78
Old Apr 30, 2011, 06:44 AM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
On my SW with an F-20A I have the rudder stabilization turned off. I agree with you. It really isn't needed on a set up like the SW.
Yuppo but as mentioned above, it's really usefull to have for the RTH (i believe you have it hooked that way too.. if i'm not wrong).
Semi-OT: i've only few flights with the SW, yesterday i was experimenting with the rudder turns, i expected some more flat turns (with the FY20 stabilizing the wings), but they are not.. when i turn with the rudder it turns like a easystar! it turns and left/right banks ... it was someway unexpected honestly.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 07:11 AM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npole View Post
....yesterday i was experimenting with the rudder turns, i expected some more flat turns (with the FY20 stabilizing the wings), but they are not.. when i turn with the rudder it turns like a easystar! it turns and left/right banks ... it was someway unexpected honestly.
Ah yes, Centripetal and Centrifugal force raising their ugly heads again and "fooling" the accelerometers/gyros into angular diversions from the gravitational forces alone.

I wonder what Bill and company have done in that department? It's a complete "trick-bag" nightmare to deal with in software.

Going to the lobby for some popcorn, anybody need anything?

Rob
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old Apr 30, 2011, 07:25 AM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camship View Post

I wonder what Bill and company have done in that department? It's a complete "trick-bag" nightmare to deal with in software.

Rob
All should be revealed in the manual.
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear