HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:28 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaurin View Post
AHI is not linked to guardian. This is based on GPS and will use guardian in the future, but not now.
??? How can an AHI be generated by a GPS? The AHI is not available unless you have the Guardian installed. The way I understand it, the AHI is generated from the accelerometers in the Guardian.
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Mar 2007
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
??? How can an AHI be generated by a GPS? The AHI is not available unless you have the Guardian installed. The way I understand it, the AHI is generated from the accelerometers in the Guardian.
As i unerstood, 'imagebuff' is talking about PC screen (software update, connected to PC, gauges, etc...). In the PC screen, datarecorder AHI gauge don't use guardian data, only GPS. This is possible when you get directions changes in X time, so applying some maths you can estimate the roll of plane.

The only AHI that uses Guardian is on OSD, not on datarecorder (PC).
jmaurin is offline Find More Posts by jmaurin
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:39 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,246 Posts
Oh. Maybe the dashboard AHI is not connected to the Guardian. Would be interested to know for sure.
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
710 Posts
Quote:
AHI is not linked to guardian. This is based on GPS and will use guardian in the future, but not now.
How can GPS drive the AHI? The only thing that could drive AHI is the guardian.
imagebuff is offline Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Mar 2007
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagebuff View Post
How can GPS drive the AHI? The only thing that could drive AHI is the guardian.
Can you read?
I know my english is not so good, but i'm sure it's readable!

The AHI on DataRecorder software is NOT driven by Guardian TODAY, it's driven by GPS data. As i said, you CAN make some calculations to guess the roll of the airplane based on GPS course/data.
Guardian is ONLY used for airplane stabilizations and OSD AHI, nothin else.
If you don't belive, don't ask here anymore. Just call Bill at EagleTree.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Jan 2011
710 Posts
Quote:
Can you read?

The AHI on DataRecorder software is NOT driven by Guardian TODAY, it's driven by GPS data. As i said, you CAN make some calculations to guess the roll of the airplane based on GPS course/data.
No need to get your panties in a wad. The posts were coming quickly and you responded while I was typing my response. Thanks for the explanation.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1 Posts
Quote:
Can you read?

the AHI in the software is not based on GPS. it is based on the throttle/servo input.
hmlrk is offline Find More Posts by hmlrk
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:16 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmlrk View Post
the AHI in the software is not based on GPS. it is based on the throttle/servo input.
GPS data doesn't have any information about where the horizon is. GPS only gives position, speed and course heading data. The AHI is driven by the information from the Guardian and only the Guardian. Even sitting still the AHI works correctly. Once the Guardian is set for level if you tilt or roll the plane the AHI will show where the horizon is.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Mar 2007
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater73 View Post
GPS data doesn't have any information about where the horizon is. GPS only gives position, speed and course heading data. The AHI is driven by the information from the Guardian and only the Guardian. Even sitting still the AHI works correctly. Once the Guardian is set for level if you tilt or roll the plane the AHI will show where the horizon is.

Steve
Really Floater73? It's getting boring to repeat again and again. This information that you give is only valid for OSD AHI. We are talking about software gauge, the AHI in data recorder.
And hmlrk is correct too, OSD uses both GPS data AND servos data to calculate the AHI in the software (NOT ON OSD!). I'm pretty sure they uses GPS to increase accuracy with the servo signal, since, like Floater73 said, GPS give me the speed, positions and course, so we can input this + servo signal do calculate the roll. Ex: My plane change heading for about 45 degrees and i have a different servo signal, with both information i can estimate that my plane is going to right (or left), or something like this.
I can't find the post that Bill said this, but it's something like this.

For those who still believing that AHI uses Guardian (again, on the software!), here are the words from Bill (EagleTree): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1374

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
lostheli, We're working on this.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:57 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Really Floater73? It's getting boring to repeat again and again. This information that you give is only valid for OSD AHI. We are talking about software gauge, the AHI in data recorder.
And hmlrk is correct too, OSD uses both GPS data AND servos data to calculate the AHI in the software (NOT ON OSD!). I'm pretty sure they uses GPS to increase accuracy with the servo signal, since, like Floater73 said, GPS give me the speed, positions and course, so we can input this + servo signal do calculate the roll. Ex: My plane change heading for about 45 degrees and i have a different servo signal, with both information i can estimate that my plane is going to right (or left), or something like this.
I can't find the post that Bill said this, but it's something like this.

For those who still believing that AHI uses Guardian (again, on the software!), here are the words from Bill (EagleTree): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1374
I don't know what you mean by a software gauge or the AHI in the data recorder. We're probably talking about the same things but using differnt terms.

The Eagletree OSD manual defines the AHI as:
"Artificial Horizon Display
When you use the Guardian Stabilization Expander, you can display a real-time, graphical Artificial Horizon Indicator (AHI) on the OSD display. The AHI display can be turned on and off via the PC software, as described in the Configuring Graphics Display section below, and can also be switched on and off via the OSD on-screen menus."

The recorder only stores the data. All calculations to determine what commands are sent to the servos are computed in the OSD. The recorder doesn't send any commands to the servos or even see the commands sent to the servos. There is only one AHI and it's displayed on the video screen by the OSD. The OSD uses only Guardian data to determine and display the AHI and to determine the attitude of the plane. Information sent to the servos or from the receiver has nothing to do with calculating the AHI or attitude of the airplane. The Guardian's purpose is to determine the angular position of itself in three dimensional space and then sense and report any change in attitude or movement in three dimensional space.

The plane's current attitude is constantly determined by the OSD in relation to the level position that was set during the Guardian setup. This attitude information is used by the OSD to display the AHI lines on the screen. The OSD also uses this attitude information, other data from the Guardian and GPS information to calculate what commands need to be sent to which servos and throttle to fly the plane. These commands are also affected by the Guardian gain, RTH mode and and the values entered during Guardian and RTH setup. Notice that none of this data setup is done in the data recorder.

Steve

There are a couple of comments by Bill in this thread back in 2008 explaining what is needed for AHI.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822834
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Last edited by Floater73; Jan 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Added Bill comments line
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Oct 2010
97 Posts
I think jmaurin is talking about AHI gauge of the PC software. It is possible to show but it doesn't works even we check the option that tells the elogger to log the guardian data.

Saludos...
ssancho is online now Find More Posts by ssancho
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:12 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagebuff View Post
Just now getting my Eagletree components configured and updated. I've connected the elogger v4, the OSD Pro, the GPS, and the Guardian to the PC via USB and updated the firmware on all.

The initial problem is that I cant seem to get the AHI in live mode to react to the guardian movements. Other guages that I place on the screen definitely update properly in live mode but the AHI never moves. The guardian's LED flashes rapidly and constantly.

Advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssancho View Post
I think jmaurin is talking about AHI gauge of the PC software. It is possible to show but it doesn't works even we check the option that tells the elogger to log the guardian data.

Saludos...
Image buff,

It seems as though you have your answer. I guess it doesn't work.

I have briefed over the live link stuff, but have no need for it at this time, so I have no personal experiences, but it looks like ssancho has tried to get it to work and it doesn't.

hope this helps

-Mike
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:27 AM
Joined Oct 2010
97 Posts
I don't try it live mode, but with the data downloaded from elogger doesn't works.

Saludos...
ssancho is online now Find More Posts by ssancho
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:32 AM
Joined Jan 2011
710 Posts
No problem with the live mode AHI not working. I just wanted to make sure my Guardian wasn't defective, etc..
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:53 AM
Joined Mar 2007
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater73 View Post
I don't know what you mean by a software gauge or the AHI in the data recorder. We're probably talking about the same things but using differnt terms.

The Eagletree OSD manual defines the AHI as:
"Artificial Horizon Display
When you use the Guardian Stabilization Expander, you can display a real-time, graphical Artificial Horizon Indicator (AHI) on the OSD display. The AHI display can be turned on and off via the PC software, as described in the Configuring Graphics Display section below, and can also be switched on and off via the OSD on-screen menus."

The recorder only stores the data. All calculations to determine what commands are sent to the servos are computed in the OSD. The recorder doesn't send any commands to the servos or even see the commands sent to the servos. There is only one AHI and it's displayed on the video screen by the OSD. The OSD uses only Guardian data to determine and display the AHI and to determine the attitude of the plane. Information sent to the servos or from the receiver has nothing to do with calculating the AHI or attitude of the airplane. The Guardian's purpose is to determine the angular position of itself in three dimensional space and then sense and report any change in attitude or movement in three dimensional space.

The plane's current attitude is constantly determined by the OSD in relation to the level position that was set during the Guardian setup. This attitude information is used by the OSD to display the AHI lines on the screen. The OSD also uses this attitude information, other data from the Guardian and GPS information to calculate what commands need to be sent to which servos and throttle to fly the plane. These commands are also affected by the Guardian gain, RTH mode and and the values entered during Guardian and RTH setup. Notice that none of this data setup is done in the data recorder.

Steve

There are a couple of comments by Bill in this thread back in 2008 explaining what is needed for AHI.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822834
We are not talking about the same thing.
This is what i'm talking about:

And this is what you are talking about:

About PC Software AH, i was half righ. As Bill said on another thread (your link), AH on PC software uses climbrate (i guess from GPS, as said from another messages on the same topic/link) AND ailerons, like hmlrk already said.